House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

geezer466

Afghanistan Parade

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/national-service-of-commemoration-to-mark-the-end-of-combat-operations-in-afghanistan

The Prime Minister has announced that a service of commemoration will take place at St Paul’s Cathedral on 13 March, followed by a parade.

We should remember the people who lost their lives and suffered life altering injuries but even as an ex military person I cannot see the point of a parade glorifying the venture..

History will record the venture as a failure along with all our other excursions into Afghanistan.

We never won we simply came home......

Perhaps it's to commemorate those who did their duty no matter how ill-advised the government was that sent them. They have no choice once they are in the services.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/national-service-of-commemoration-to-mark-the-end-of-combat-operations-in-afghanistan

We should remember the people who lost their lives and suffered life altering injuries but even as an ex military p erson I cannot see the point of a parade glorifying the venture..

History will record the venture as a failure along with all our other excursions into Afghanistan.

We never won we simply came home......

Because Cameron will puff out his chest, make speeches and his election people think that he will look statesman-like prior to an election.

Did they have a parade for this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1842_retreat_from_Kabul

Perhaps it's to commemorate those who did their duty no matter how ill-advised the government was that sent them. They have no choice once they are in the services.

The Nuremberg Trials said otherwise: only obeying orders is no excuse. But clearly that only applies if you're defeated, meaning conquered rather than merely driven out.

A soldier could've shown true courage by deserting (and facing the consequences) when ordered to participate in atrocities. But I expect they're drawn in gradually: a progression from the battlefield through midnight raids on (alleged) military targets, to the eventual beating up and dragging off poor peasants in front of their screaming kids ("we had intelligence they were sheltering a taliban fighter" if some pesky journo probes too deeply).

If the soldiers involved want a parade, then fine.

Like it or lump it, they were sent there on our behalf and did their duty and even though I was a 'Not in my name' protestor, I respect them.

Nuremburg established that an unlawful order was an order to commit a crime and did not have to be obeyed.

(Fatuous idea really, straight from the chattering classes. You try telling the Oberst Gruppen Fuhrer that his order is unlawful and please don't shoot me for disobeying it)