House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Snp Wants Extra £180Bn As Price Of Labour Coalition

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/snp-wants-extra-180bn-as-price-of-labour-coalition-10039863.html

The Scottish National Party would demand an extra £180bn of state spending as the price of supporting a minority Labour government if May’s general election ends in a hung parliament.

In a speech in London, Nicola Sturgeon, Scotland’s First Minister, called for “an alternative to austerity” as she stepped up her party’s pitch to disillusioned former Labour voters. She described the Coalition’s "austerity economics" as "morally unjustifiable and economically unsustainable".

She argued that boosting spending by government departments by 0.5 per cent in real terms each year would reduce debt as a share of Gross Domestic Product over four years, while allowing £180bn to be invested in infrastructure, skills and education by 2020. She also said the £100bn that could be saved by scrapping the Trident nuclear weapons system should be invested in public services.

The SNP leader said she wanted to break the "cosy consensus" in favour of austerity at Westminster and that her party’s MPs would work with "progressive" allies.

If this works why not increase spending by £1tr and reduce the debt to GDP even further?

I'm guessing she hasn't said how the govt will acquire this extra £180bn?

She's doing us all a favour.

Blair mangled our constitution, and his party has been abusing their monstrous anomalies ever since. Now the Scots Nats are showing us the logic of this mess, we can start to build a head of steam for fixing it.

If she can score a hit or two before the headless chickens at Westminster apply worthless sticking plaster and kick it back into the long grass, we might just get a real debate and a cure sooner rather than later.

I hope this woman gets all Scotlands seats and splits up the UK.

Long past time since England was freed from the loony left in Scotland, Wales and N Ireland.

She's doing us all a favour.

Blair mangled our constitution, and his party has been abusing their monstrous anomalies ever since. Now the Scots Nats are showing us the logic of this mess, we can start to build a head of steam for fixing it.

If she can score a hit or two before the headless chickens at Westminster apply worthless sticking plaster and kick it back into the long grass, we might just get a real debate and a cure sooner rather than later.

We never get real debate on anything in England. Scotland didnt even manage a real debate in the referendum it was all about the MSM backing the status quo and the powers of Westminster bribing jocks with English money.

I despise our political class with a passion, a jet plane flying into Westminster at 12 noon on a Wednesday would be doing the nation a favour.

Long past time since England was freed from the loony left in Scotland, Wales and N Ireland.

Long past time since London and the South East was freed from the loony left in Northern England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland.

There, fixed it for you... :D

Hello. Resident Nationalist here!

I hope so too. It will be glorious watching the establishment, daily mail readers etc. having a melt down regarding the amount of power Scotland has! When Scotland goes free, England will still be stuck with the same old, same old.

We never get real debate on anything in England. Scotland didnt even manage a real debate in the referendum it was all about the MSM backing the status quo and the powers of Westminster bribing jocks with English money.

I despise our political class with a passion, a jet plane flying into Westminster at 12 noon on a Wednesday would be doing the nation a favour.

I agree with you on that. The MSM, Civil Service and corporations were completley and utterly biased. For an ordinary Scot, it was a real eye opener. Now that the referendum's over it is back to normal again with the MSM that loved us back in September now telling the English that we are a bunch of scroungers (not true as we contribute the third most the the UK economy behind London and the South East).

We have been given no extra powers (contrary to what the MSM would have you believe) and nothing in "the vow" has been honored. According to recent opinion polls, if the referendum was held tomorrow the results would now be 55% Yes, 45% No. Good to see that some people have seen the light.

Roll on May when the SNP will be the Daddy!

I agree with you on that. The MSM, Civil Service and corporations were completley and utterly biased. For an ordinary Scot, it was a real eye opener. Now that the referendum's over it is back to normal again with the MSM that loved us back in September now telling the English that we are a bunch of scroungers (not true as we contribute the third most the the UK economy behind London and the South East).

We have been given no extra powers (contrary to what the MSM would have you believe) and nothing in "the vow" has been honored. According to recent opinion polls, if the referendum was held tomorrow the results would now be 55% Yes, 45% No. Good to see that some people have seen the light.

Roll on May when the SNP will be the Daddy!

I can't believe that people thought the promises would be honoured, all the politicians lied but the outcome in Scotland is likely total wipeout for the Tories, Labour and Liberals in Scotland. Which will actually be quite funny as I doubt they'll have the intelligence to figure out why.

Long past time since London and the South East was freed from the loony left in Northern England, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland.

There, fixed it for you... :D

That'll be the same London and South East that needs 0.5% interest rates and QE to keep its one trick economy that is the property market alive aswell as the taxpayer bailing out its financial industry.

If the North and South of England were to be split up, i'd imagine it'd be the North thriving once freed on the basis the workforce is willing to get its paws dirty.

Hello. Resident Nationalist here!

I'm English, us nationalists down here i.e people who are tired of our country being sold down to the rest of the planet for a piece of silver, are knows as "racists".

I'm English, us nationalists down here i.e people who are tired of our country being sold down to the rest of the planet for a piece of silver, are knows as "racists".

The English have a LOT to be proud of, and yet a pervasive sense of self-loathing has brought you to this sorry state. But be not dis-heartened! Scotland is finally ridding itself of the 'Scottish cringe' (that's cringe, not ginge!), and it's only taken us a few centuries....

The secret? Don't believe a word the MSM tells you.

It sounds simple, but it's taken a referendum to finally open the eyes of the average man on the street!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/snp-wants-extra-180bn-as-price-of-labour-coalition-10039863.html

If this works why not increase spending by £1tr and reduce the debt to GDP even further?

I'm guessing she hasn't said how the govt will acquire this extra £180bn?

She's offering an alternative to the Westminster norm. Can you name another, credible, one?

Edited by AThirdWay

Funnily enough, one of the Nationalist supporting you tube channels posted this today! Pure coincidence, but it might give you a clue as to what's went wrong....

Edited by AThirdWay

Funnily enough, one of the Nationalist supporting you tube channels posted this today! Pure coincidence, but it might give you a clue as to what's went wrong....

People like him are part of the problem.

I don't think you'll find the typical English nationalist has a problem with the Gurkhas, or the Commonwealth, Polish Spitfires etc, unless your a neonazi (and Scotland has neonazis too, so England is not special there).

However whenever English nationalism is mentioned some muppet comes along and describes it as negative entirely spuriously - as he did.

People like him are part of the problem.

I don't think you'll find the typical English nationalist has a problem with the Gurkhas, or the Commonwealth, Polish Spitfires etc, unless your a neonazi (and Scotland has neonazis too, so England is not special there).

However whenever English nationalism is mentioned some muppet comes along and describes it as negative entirely spuriously - as he did.

Agreed, but why do you do it to yourselves?

Agreed, but why do you do it to yourselves?

You mean why put people like that on TV all the time?

Not sure. I guess because the English are not considered an oppressed people yearning for freedom amongst the BBC nomenklatura? I assume it's something like that. That and the fact that tubthumping patriotism is easy to lampoon.

I'm not particularly nationalist as it goes but what's considered tubthumping patriotism here is quite normal in many countries. The only others I have experience of are Australia and Sweden where it's quite normal to fly the flag, speak in patriotic terms etc. And from conversation the Dutch, French, Danes are incredibly nation-proud and happy to tell you about it. Not sure I'd call our attitude self loathing, but it's certainly different here - perhaps maintaining a perpetual sense of empire-apology.

I'm not particularly nationalist as it goes but what's considered tubthumping patriotism here is quite normal in many countries.

Oh I know.

But it is easy to lampoon, and if anybody did it here then they would be lampooned. It's a minority of people who do it, but wielding great cultural influence. Comedians and the like.

Might be a bit of a whiff of change in the air, since Andrew Neil became the BBCs rottweiler he does seem rather less inclined to denigrate such things.

Oh I know.

But it is easy to lampoon, and if anybody did it here then they would be lampooned. It's a minority of people who do it, but wielding great cultural influence. Comedians and the like.

Might be a bit of a whiff of change in the air, since Andrew Neil became the BBCs rottweiler he does seem rather less inclined to denigrate such things.

Probably, but it's only a conformity- and vocal-in-public thing. Private opinion is much the same here as elsewhere, likely explaining why this is an angrier country than many and increasingly fractious esp while times are harder.

likely explaining why this is an angrier country than many and increasingly fractious esp while times are harder.

Part of it perhaps. The fact is that a significant percentage of the population, perhaps a plurality even, are essentially being politically suppressed by the elites.

Part of it perhaps. The fact is that a significant percentage of the population, perhaps a plurality even, are essentially being politically suppressed by the elites.

I don't disagree. If you lie big enough, then make people dependent on pretending the lie is true - to the point they start believing it, it becomes hard to stand up as an individual and remind everyone it's a lie. But eventually (hopefully) enough stand up to begin shouting it down, or the realities of the original lie make themselves obvious.

The issues you're referring to are part of that - but as you imply it's establishment (I hate the word 'elites') political and economic suppression in general. Using the guise of perpetual fear, crisis and invoked vulnerabilities to get away with whatever they like.