House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

What Prices Shock You?

Not house prices (we have a whole talkboard for that).

Things like cups of coffee...although you're really paying for the high-street seat with a free coffee included...

Paying outrageous prices for small plastic objects that cost pennies to produce.

Eg: dustbins, memory foam mattresses that cost 20 in Germany and £200 here.

Anything "reduced for a quick sale" in Tesco - but particularly cooked meats and fish from their 'deli' counter.

The price they ask because the sell-by date is tomorrow is still outrageous - god knows who the poor fools are who buy this crap at the regular price...!

XYY

Guest eight

Not house prices (we have a whole talkboard for that).

Things like cups of coffee...although you're really paying for the high-street seat with a free coffee included...

I know you said not house prices and this might be a bit of semantics BUT.... commercial property prices. Normal laws of supply and demand seem reversed.

I just rented somewhere - an industrial unit - so am now a property renter for the first time in my life. I always sympathised with the "rent forever loosers" on this site but until now I never really got it. But the lease, with all of its terms and conditions, and the dictatorial nature of the relationship - I'm the friggin customer, you muppet! If anybody is going to dictate terms it should be ME. Everything about the relationship seems to be the wrong way around.

Cars - I bought a new fiesta in 2004 and I thought it was very expensive at about £8.5k, couldn't imagine this class of car being much more expensive. However, car magazines/websites now routinely talk about small hatches in this class being 'cheap' at £13k - £18k!!! I don't bloody think so. Having done so once I wouldn't ever buy a brand new car anyway unless my numbers came up.

I know you said not house prices and this might be a bit of semantics BUT.... commercial property prices. Normal laws of supply and demand seem reversed.

I just rented somewhere - an industrial unit - so am now a property renter for the first time in my life. I always sympathised with the "rent forever loosers" on this site but until now I never really got it. But the lease, with all of its terms and conditions, and the dictatorial nature of the relationship - I'm the friggin customer, you muppet! If anybody is going to dictate terms it should be ME. Everything about the relationship seems to be the wrong way around.

Has the baked beans stash got out of hand?

+1 on cars.

After getting dragged in to an office 'breakfast' the other week (was in far too early for once), fast food is another. My current weekend project is to replicate said 'breakfast' and see just how cheap the piece of junk really is if made at home (I could then halve that cost at least for the bulk discounts the fast food chain would get).

Branded fashion is another rip-off. I guess that could apply further than clothing to electronics (I'm thinking Apple), and possibly into my own domain of cooking equipment!

Bikes. Thanks to Wiggins, and currency trashing - I swear prices have near doubled for almost everything bike related since 2008. Plus there seems to be a new much higher ceiling on prices. For example, its quite possible to spend £5K+ on a catalogue bike. It doesn't feel that long ago it was near impossible to buy something off the peg for more than £2K, and that £1K would get you something very close to the top of the range. Wheels too, £100 would get you a pretty decent set. Nothing too flashy like XTR/carbon - but certainly XT/mavic. Now it might get you one rather than a pair of wheels.

Especially odd after many years of deflation in the form of better technology tricking down to the lower end of the market. The good news, however, is that there's a thriving market in second hand stuff.

Not sure about bikes as a whole ?

There are always loads of offers around - and you can get a decent quality alloy road bike for 5-600.

And a full carbon for under a grand.

+1 on cars.

After getting dragged in to an office 'breakfast' the other week (was in far too early for once), fast food is another. My current weekend project is to replicate said 'breakfast' and see just how cheap the piece of junk really is if made at home (I could then halve that cost at least for the bulk discounts the fast food chain would get).

Branded fashion is another rip-off. I guess that could apply further than clothing to electronics (I'm thinking Apple), and possibly into my own domain of cooking equipment!

Depends where you mean, however you need to consider that the food element is a minor part of the cost, it's staff wages, rents and tons of other bits and bobs involved. Having said that, given that the food part is so cheap I have no idea why more places don't give better value buy loading plates. Take a cook breakfast an extra sausage, bit of bacon and extra slice of bread would cost about 20p yet give you far more repeat business IMO.