House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SarahBell

This Girl Can .. Tv Ad .. What?

http://www.thisgirlcan.co.uk/

There's an ad on TV at the moment showing lots of women giggling about doing sport.

This is a Lottery and sports council funded advert for nothing.

"this Girl Can is a national campaign developed by Sport England and a wide range of partnership organisations. It's a celebration of active women up and down the country who are doing their thing no matter how well they do it, how they look or even how red their face gets."

A celebration of HOW MUCH BLINKING LOTTERY MONEY gone up in smoke?

No free gym classes, no money to support local facilities under threat due to council cuts, just a campaign to show sweaty women.

Well the good thing is that, people who buy lottery tickets, generally aren't thinking of charities or good causes at the time. They just want to win a million.....I don't think that, if even if they chucked all the good cause money into the toilet, it wouldn't deter people from buying lottery tickets.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of lottery grants go to projects run by religious organisations.

Most religions argue that gambling is sinful so you might reasonably expect them to take a moral stance and refuse to have anything to do with it, why legitimise something you don't agree with?, helping to make it look like its some kind of public benefit when they could instead just ask people not to gamble and instead donate 100% of their stake money to a good cause.

But nope they are all there at the front of the queue.

Maybe it will work to get some people to be more healthy. I don't understand advertising. But if it does then that must be better than paying to treat people on the NHS.

Wait a minute, they`re now saying that a nice short 4mph jog is better for your health, much better than a 5 or 10 mile slog or even hogging the sofa.

They need to co-ordinate their propaganda...

Wait a minute, they`re now saying that a nice short 4mph jog is better for your health, much better than a 5 or 10 mile slog or even hogging the sofa.

They need to co-ordinate their propaganda...

How old are these women? 4mph isn't a jog, it's a brisk-ish walk. Unless you're of primary-school age and have short legs, or pensionable age.

I'll repeat myself. Sport England should be at the head of the queue for a bonfire of the most useless quangos.

How old are these women? 4mph isn't a jog, it's a brisk-ish walk. Unless you're of primary-school age and have short legs, or pensionable age.

I'll repeat myself. Sport England should be at the head of the queue for a bonfire of the most useless quangos.

4mph jog has all the cardiovascular benefits of a brisk walk with the added downside joint wear and tear as you cannot run with proper technique at such a slow pace......

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of lottery grants go to projects run by religious organisations.

Most religions argue that gambling is sinful so you might reasonably expect them to take a moral stance and refuse to have anything to do with it, why legitimise something you don't agree with?, helping to make it look like its some kind of public benefit when they could instead just ask people not to gamble and instead donate 100% of their stake money to a good cause.

But nope they are all there at the front of the queue.

Quakers will not take lottery funding. They take avery hard line on it. Quite right too.

The local meeting room were rasing cash for ~10 years to buy a new hall.

I'd join them if I was not atheist. Then again, apparently there is a branch of non-theist quakers. Bet their meetings as fun. How do you get in a fight in a anti-violence creed?

I've been pondering this ad for a couple of weeks.

I haven't had the tv on for a year or so, and wondered if perhaps it referred to some earlier ad, which if I had seen, might have given it some context I'm missing.

So I'm glad you mention it, it confirms that my question is valid...

Err, WTF?!!

It's "a celebration" is it. Nice to know my lottery money is being put to good use.

No free gym classes, no money to support local facilities under threat due to council cuts, just a campaign to show sweaty women.

All the gym classes and facilities in the world won't do much good if people aren't motivated to go out and use them.

It's heart is probably in right place. I think there's a good evidence to show that women are far less likely to continue a sport post-teens than men (and the reasons given are often those mentioned on the site).

But agreed this is at the very beginning of the curve in terms of societal change. It'll need follow through - and I'll be surprised if the aggressive tone is the right one.

What gets me about this type of rhetoric is the suggestion that somebody can when nobody suggested they couldn't.

Anyone who spends money on the lottery is by definition an idiot, so has no reasonable say as to how the money is distributed.

Same applies to anyone who watches adverts.

You say this as if it is a bad thing?

<quote> ... just a campaign to show sweaty women.</quote>

You clearly haven't seen the advert

Quakers will not take lottery funding. They take avery hard line on it. Quite right too.

The local meeting room were rasing cash for ~10 years to buy a new hall.

I'd join them if I was not atheist. Then again, apparently there is a branch of non-theist quakers. Bet their meetings as fun. How do you get in a fight in a anti-violence creed?

I'm always impressed by Quakers. They seem to have morals.

I'm always impressed by Quakers. They seem to have morals.

Aye, and a special porridge that apparently cures homosexuality...!

Quaker-Oats-.jpg

;)

XYY

All the gym classes and facilities in the world won't do much good if people aren't motivated to go out and use them.

But..but..what about Lord Coe's Olympic Legacy? I thought everyone was involved in sport now...