House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Unsafe As Houses

How Accurate Is The Land Registry's Year Built Data For Properties?

How accurate is the Land Registry's Year Built data for properties?

The year built data is available here:

http://www.mouseprice.com/house-prices/sw17+9rd

(you have to regsiter to get the data but registration is free)

The year built data is used by surveyors in property valuations and surveys - but how accurate is it?

Anecdotally for me - it's woefully inaccurate.

Here's one example a street in SW London: SW17 9RD:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=SW17+9RD&hl=en&ll=51.41969,-0.15044&spn=0.000013,0.009077&sll=53.655016,-1.787682&sspn=0.055547,0.145226&hnear=London+SW17+9RD,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.419693,-0.150175&panoid=xpRpdlyAQoBSfDmxQwahNg&cbp=12,155.61,,0,2.33

The houses on this terrace all look to be built about the same time judging by the design and alternative gable pattern of the block - yet the year built data varies widely:

No 190 is the house on the right - the next one on the right is 192 and so on...

No 190 - buiilt in 1936

No 198 - buiilt in 1918

No 200 - buiilt in 1919

No 202 - buiilt in 1935

No 204 - buiilt in 1906

No 210 - buiilt in 1930

No 214 - buiilt in 1910

No 216 - built in 1918

No 220 - built in 1930

No 222 - built in 1920

(Where not stated above year built data is missing and I've excluded the houses that have been converted into flats).

I see many examples of such streets across England.

Where does this data come from? And why is it so inaccuarate? It looks like someone (a homeowner? surveyor? land registry employee?) is just having a guess and not even looking at the equivalent data for adjacent properties.

It's a best guess from whoever is submitting the paperwork. the house were buying has a build date of 1983, but the planning permission was not granted until July 83, making the built date at least 1984.

the last house we "bank rented" was built somewhere between 1880 and 1910, but there was no paperwork except for an old map showing the plots. Of course when most of the construction in the UK happened during this period permission was not required.

I'll tell you what's not accurate though - the value of the properties. They seem quite far off in my opinion. For example, the three bedroom converted 2 up 2 down where I grew up is apparently worth just under 150k but 6 bed properties down the road went for only a little bit more recently.

I'll tell you what's not accurate though - the value of the properties. They seem quite far off in my opinion. For example, the three bedroom converted 2 up 2 down where I grew up is apparently worth just under 150k but 6 bed properties down the road went for only a little bit more recently.

Yeah the valuation data is about useful as Zoopla's valuations. I guess they would get lots of complaints if the valuations were not far too high and going up steadily year-on-year.

I'm currently buying a house buiilt in 1900 according to the land registry and this is the year that also appears in the building survey I paid for. I assume the surveyor just looked the house up on this website. The valuation of the house in the survey actually says, 'Based on properties of this age and type in this neighbourhood and the current state of the property market I value this property at 'x'.

If the data for certain streets is extermely unreliable as I suggest then the valuations that take it into account of are similarly unreliable.

The data needs serious clean up

Yeah the valuation data is about useful as Zoopla's valuations. I guess they would get lots of complaints if the valuations were not far too high and going up steadily year-on-year.

I'm currently buying a house buiilt in 1900 according to the land registry and this is the year that also appears in the building survey I paid for. I assume the surveyor just looked the house up on this website. The valuation of the house in the survey actually says, 'Based on properties of this age and type in this neighbourhood and the current state of the property market I value this property at 'x'.

If the data for certain streets is extermely unreliable as I suggest then the valuations that take it into account of are similarly unreliable.

The data needs serious clean up

Indeed, whats more, several of the houses I look at have the wrong number of rooms listed.