Baltic Dry

HOLA441
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

They've been reading hpc again... even bothered to put in a HeilTube link.

The Kardassians can't be wearing anything different this week

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Zombie ships set sail

“What is damaging shipping is a zombie fleet, which accepts freight at maverick prices just to keep going,” said Mr Kidwell.

A zombie ship is one that can just about repay interest on its debts, but has no hope of repaying the capital.

what else could this be applied to I wonder...

HOLA4410
Zombie ships set sail

“What is damaging shipping is a zombie fleet, which accepts freight at maverick prices just to keep going,” said Mr Kidwell.

A zombie ship is one that can just about repay interest on its debts, but has no hope of repaying the capital.

what else could this be applied to I wonder...

Sounds like a Minsky moment for ships, no?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Media commentators are part of the problem, because the truth isn't very pleasant. Telling the want to make China more of a consumer society - better get used to lots of personal debt, Obviously, having exported our manufacturing, we've maxed out the credit cards.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Just to back up the BDI numbers, I was lucky to be sailing on the Solent last Friday and it was noticeable the distinct lack of cargo ship traffic throughout the day. I only noticed one car transporter and a very small LPG ship. Normally you'd be on the watch for multiple ship movements from/to Southampton Water.

HOLA4418

Watching the Newsnight piece now- what a bunch of clowns. Apparently the problem is down to a lack of demand due to people being overly cautious.

Nothing to do with the debt load and lack of spending power of western consumers eh?

Typical 1%ers thinking only about their own concerns. The vast majority have little choice about their consumption, and are not 'cautious' about anything.

HOLA4419

Just to back up the BDI numbers, I was lucky to be sailing on the Solent last Friday and it was noticeable the distinct lack of cargo ship traffic throughout the day. I only noticed one car transporter and a very small LPG ship. Normally you'd be on the watch for multiple ship movements from/to Southampton Water.

They should give up on that expensive compilation of global shipping volumes and just phone up some guy on a booze cruise to give his assessment from the top deck.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/12108453/Zombie-ships-send-maritime-freight-into-worst-crisis-in-living-memory.html

Meanwhile, the banks that provided the debt won’t pull the plug as they would be forced to recognise the losses. Instead, they accept that they won’t have debt service, and are forced to wait and see if the ship owner can survive until the market recovers. At some point in the future they might be able to sell the vessel at a better price.

sound familiar?

Banks are the robber barons of our age.

Same story with their oil investments, too. Guess its a when, not if, we'll be bailing the banks out in months, not years.

HOLA4425