House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sPinwheel

Getting The Snip - Childless At 28

So I never want kidz. Or kids. Im thinking of getting a £400 vasectomy from Marie Stopes but Im worried they will turn me down for being too young.

Anyone had the snip while childless? Did you regret it terribly later? Does society think men are strange for not wanting kids?

I know a few people who have had kids, then had the snip, and bitterly regretted it later when circumstances changed.

Don't do it, save your £400 and use the alternatives. Sorry to be blunt but who really knows what they want at 28?

Im suprised that guys with kids regret it. I wonder if regret is related to having no kids in the first place. I also wonder what, specifically, they regret about not having kids is? Not having a legacy? Having a partner who does want kids?

Im in a relationship with a woman who has 3 kids from another marriage. She knew I never wanted kids as long as weve known each other.

So I never want kidz. Or kids. Im thinking of getting a £400 vasectomy from Marie Stopes but Im worried they will turn me down for being too young.

You are in the clear - you are already over the hill!

" If you think you may want children in the future, you really should not choose sterilisation. Alternatives include condoms, or for a female partner, the pill, injections, implants and the IUD (coil). Read about the other options.

If you are still unsure you can also access Counselling at Marie Stopes UK to help you reach a decision. We advise that anyone under the age of 25 has counselling before having a vasectomy".

Why restrict your options? Don't hold your 40 year old self hostage to a whim you have in your 20s.

Why assume its just a whim? Its something I felt since a teenager, and a feeling thats only got stronger as I've got older.

The more I thought about it, the more I felt that the finality of it would make me more relaxed about the future (ignoring the small chance of unsuccessful surgery).

I get the idea of keeping options open, but am not sure what would change my mind.

Never say never.....how many have tattoos they regret later? and a vasectomy they regret later.....you could freeze it....but to do something at 28 that is non reversible is slamming the door shut......Do you intend to stay single all your life?

Never say never.....how many have tattoos they regret later? and a vasectomy they regret later.....you could freeze it....but to do something at 28 that is non reversible is slamming the door shut......Do you intend to stay single all your life?

If he was intending to stay single all his life there would definitely be no point in having the snip (ignoring one night stands etc. though I suppose).

I didn't want kids at 28 and at 38 I'm glad I never did. I don't feel that I'm missing out when I see people with kids, I feel sorry for them.

I know a number of guys who, in their 20s expressed no desire to have kids at all but by their mid 30s had changed their minds completely.
The only attraction I could see is being able to sleep with as many birds as possible and not to have to fiddle around with bits of plastic or trust that they were on the pill but I’d also worry about ‘performance’ reduction and the mental issues of being a man without seed..

If he was intending to stay single all his life there would definitely be no point in having the snip (ignoring one night stands etc. though I suppose).

I didn't want kids at 28 and at 38 I'm glad I never did. I don't feel that I'm missing out when I see people with kids, I feel sorry for them.

All I am saying none of us knows what will happen in the future.....some people will never want children, some people will never want children then they suddenly they do ....people come and people go, nobody can plan their lives, life has a habit of doing what you least expect it to do.... ;)

All the more reason why it's a bad idea to make such a binding decision at this point.

I see what you are saying. But as I said earlier in the thread she has 3 kids from an earlier marriage already, if she was childless herself I would probably not even be considering it until we got older.

Get the clip, not the snip

by MARTYN HALLE, Daily Mail

Many men are still wary of having the snip to end their baby-making days. But a new form of vasectomy - which is virtually pain free - could persuade thousands to change their minds.

Doctors have developed a vasectomy that does away with the cutting and cauterising which causes most men's eyes to water.

The new procedure - which is due to be launched in the UK at the beginning of next year - involves the use of a very tiny clip. It is placed over the vas deferens tube that carries sperm from the testes to the *****.

Using a clip also means that it might be possible to reverse a vasectomy successfully should a man's circumstances change later.

...best to think of it as non reversible.....or don't do it.....use a different method. ;)

I see what you are saying. But as I said earlier in the thread she has 3 kids from an earlier marriage already, if she was childless herself I would probably not even be considering it until we got older.

So would it not be primarily for her convenience?

Go for it, I'm 30 and would have it done except the thought makes me dry heave.

Don't have kids, don't want any either.