House Price Crash Forum

London Underground Strike.....again

SpewLabour

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-31372269

Yay! Must be that time of year again....

This time the RMT support a driver who was sacked for failing two breath tests. So either they don't care about safety or they've finally recognised that driving a train is so simple that someone can do it while pissed.

Great.

why are they striking??

I always thought most of their previous strikes had been on safety grounds.

this one,if correct that the person in question was over the limit, would have been an open and shut case if he was driving his car on the highway,let alone several hundred tonnes of steel carrying hindreds of passengers.

if this would have been aviation there is an ABSOLUTE zero tolerance policy.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

It was probably suicide - he was reportedly sitting upright and the dead man's handle wasn't activated. So **** him.

All a bit of a mystery apparently.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Did anyone hear Steve Hedley, assistant GS of the RMT, on LBC earlier. Nick Ferrari asked him some questions he didn't like so he started asking Nick if he still beat is ex-wife (its available on Order-Order.com)

That is the sort of tosser who is holding Londons workers to ransom.

HOLA4411

Did anyone hear Steve Hedley, assistant GS of the RMT, on LBC earlier. Nick Ferrari asked him some questions he didn't like so he started asking Nick if he still beat is ex-wife (its available on Order-Order.com)

Did you see this:

https://carolineleneghan.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/3/

I’m Caroline Leneghan, I’m a member of the RMT and assistant Branch Secretary of my RMT branch.

Until recently I was in a relationship with the RMT Assistant General Secretary Steve Hedley. During the relationship I experienced physical and mental domestic violence which made me feel hopeless to challenge. In January I reported a violent assault to the police that took place the previous year. On this occasion he kicked a pot of paint at me, threw me around by my hair and pinned me to the floor repeatedly punching me in the face. The extent of my injuries meant I couldn’t go out for weeks. I had severe bruising and swelling to my face and body and he had pulled out clumps of my hair. I have decided to make a public statement about this because of his public position in the union and because I want to encourage other women to come forward who have faced similar abuse.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Yup. The "drivers" on the Central line are there to open and close the doors, plus they take over if the automatic system trips due to a safety issue.

I've often seen the drivers come into a station reading a book. And for that they get 50k, free travel, plus I've just read they can get pension contributions of 30%!! :o

HOLA4418

interesting exchange on radio with on of the leaders of RMT

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11405477/Union-leader-on-air-meltdown-defending-drunk-tube-driver.html

apparently refused to answer questions about the ethics of drink driving on the tube and accused the presenter of being a wife beater...

even more interestingly appears he should now all about wife beating...

https://carolineleneghan.wordpress.com/2013/03/08/3/

that people like this can bring london to a standstill is as worrying as anything else in the news IMHP

HOLA4419

It is slightly more nuanced than that. He was pointing out that he was being asked a loaded question by saying "when did you stop beating your wife?" which is impossible answer if you never did in the first place.

And yes it's ironic that he picked that example given his history.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Some of the trains are already automatic (Central Line IIRC), but drivers sit in the cab "just in case".

Nice job if you can get it.

The Victoria line (built 1968) was one of the first tube lines anywhere in the world able to operate driverless and has been able to do this since day 1. Despite this, it has always operated with "drivers" because that's what the unions wanted. All the "drivers" do is open and close the doors.

HOLA4423

It is slightly more nuanced than that. He was pointing out that he was being asked a loaded question by saying "when did you stop beating your wife?" which is impossible answer if you never did in the first place.

And yes it's ironic that he picked that example given his history.

No he was asked if the person failed the test. He did.

Nick Ferrari was then going to discuss his objections and issues he had to the test.

Archived