House Price Crash Forum

Big Brother Is Watching You - And Listening In: Fears Raised Over New Smart Tv Policy That Lets Samsung Record And Pass On Everything We Say

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/samsungs-new-smart-tv-policy-allows-company-to-listen-in-on-users-10033012.html

The new privacy policy for Samsung’s smart TVs allows the company and its partners to listen in on everything their users say.

The policy has drawn the ire of internet users, who compared it with George Orwell’s dystopian fiction 1984.

While voice recognition software almost always transmits data on what users are saying — so that the job of decoding it can be done by quicker computers elsewhere — the combination of sending the data to third-parties and the comparison with Orwell has meant that the Samsung policy has drawn particular attention.

The policy states: “Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition.”

It makes clear that the tool can be turned off through settings, though that will stop the voice recognition working entirely and Samsung will still continue to collect data about how people use the TV.

“While Samsung will not collect your spoken word, Samsung may still collect associated texts and other usage data so that we can evaluate the performance of the feature and improve it,” the policy states.

Sadly I wonder how many people will actually care? Not sure why anyone would want voice recognition on the TV, too much effort to press the buttons on the remote???

Still all good news for the NSA and GCHQ.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/samsungs-new-smart-tv-policy-allows-company-to-listen-in-on-users-10033012.html

Sadly I wonder how many people will actually care? Not sure why anyone would want voice recognition on the TV, too much effort to press the buttons on the remote???

Still all good news for the NSA and GCHQ.

VR TVs will come with two remotes anyway. Some of the TVs, you have to shout at, so they aren't entirely accurate...It'll be the same situation with Microsoft's Cortana, Apple's Siri, Amazon TV, Google's app (whatever its called) and so on...Of course they'll use your data. I wouldn't expect anything less..

HOLA445

If find this very worrying

1. Gesture Control. To provide you with the ability to control your SmartTV through gestures, the camera mounted on the top of your SmartTV can recognise your movements. This enables you, for example, to move between panels and zoom in or zoom out. We record information about when and how users use gesture controls so that we can evaluate the performance of these controls and improve them.
  2. Facial Recognition. The camera situated on the SmartTV also enables you to authenticate your Samsung Account or to log into certain services using facial recognition technology. You can use facial recognition instead of, or as a supplementary security measure in addition to, manually inputting your password. Once you complete the steps required to set up facial recognition, an image of your face is stored locally on your TV; it is not transmitted to Samsung. If you cancel your Samsung Account or no longer desire to use facial recognition, please visit the applicable settings menu to delete the stored image. While your image will be stored locally, Samsung may take note of the fact that you have set up the feature and collect information about when and how the feature is used so that we can evaluate the performance of this feature and improve it.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Someone on R4 yesterday was saying that his voice activated facility didn't work very well anyway, so he had disabled it, which was easy enough to do.

Why would anyone want a voice activated TV anyway, unless they are disabled? Though I suppose it saves having to hunt for the remote down the side of the sofa, under the cat, etc.

HOLA448

Someone on R4 yesterday was saying that his voice activated facility didn't work very well anyway, so he had disabled it, which was easy enough to do.

Why would anyone want a voice activated TV anyway, unless they are disabled? Though I suppose it saves having to hunt for the remote down the side of the sofa, under the cat, etc.

Still no idea why no one has used my location idea for TV remotes.

Sent to Sony years ago - not interested. Same as they already use for cordless phones etc. Lost it - press button on TV - beeps till you find it.

No idea why it wasn't a goer !!

HOLA449

Sent to Sony years ago - not interested. Same as they already use for cordless phones etc. Lost it - press button on TV - beeps till you find it.

Nice idea. As a practical diy alternative you could sellotape one of these to your remote;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tobar-Keyfinder-Keyring-Whistle-Activated/dp/B000246JIQ

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Presumably because it would make the remote control much more expensive. For the TV to be able to talk back to a hidden remote control it would need to have some kind of radio receiver added to it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Sounds like another completely stupid and pointless bit of "progress" which will worm its way into most of the country thanks to idiots thinking everything has to be as high tech as possible and who don't have enough respect for themselves to even be bothered by privacy issues.

HOLA4417

Well now you have inspired me! I have a Samsung TV, and I'm not sure how "smart" it is. I shall try putting a dumb hub between the TV and my router, and "sniff packets" (no innuendo intended!), using Wireshark. :blink:

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Who is this "third party" with whom Samsung shares information?

Three guesses.

Rather than slagging off Samsung as some people are doing it might actually be one of the good(er) guys by warning people about what it's been obliged to do.

Other corporations might not be quite so candid.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Bugger the Internet. I'm going back to shortwave radio. GCHQ have sold all their radio receivers on EBay, and are now obsessed by the internet!

HOLA4423

Three guesses.

Rather than slagging off Samsung as some people are doing it might actually be one of the good(er) guys by warning people about what it's been obliged to do.

Other corporations might not be quite so candid.

LG?

HOLA4424

LG?

Crikey. I have one of their washing machines. Perhaps they can see my dirty laundry? Still it won't talk to the Samsung television, or will it? :blink:

HOLA4425

Archived