House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kinesin

Share House, Deposits, Insurance, Hmo Rules Etc

Well I've just about had enough of living at home - it helps save some (well lots of money) :P but my relationship with my Mother is falling apart as she becomes more unreasonable..

Now I've always preferred the company of at least some one, so I've always said i will go for a shared house, ideally one that mixed gender, (and not just cuz I want date her friends <_< )

Tonight I enquired about a local house share, and grabbed some details. But thinking about a little more about it I've got a few questions.

I would be sharing with the owner, aka landlord, or at least daughter of landlord (I think daddy purchased house for her). Can anyone explain how HMO, desposit, tax rules and contents insurance would apply etc, and is it different for a house share, especially one with live in landlord?

Would my deposit (come HMO enforcement still have to held by 3rd party)

IIRC the max rent/week in £64 before tax?? - plz correct if wrong?

Are there any minor/major diffs between house sharing and renting alone, regarding the law, rights, etc

Cheers

Your first thing to do is to find out if the actual legal owner of the property is going to be living in the house - ie if the girl owns the house or her dad. This is the difference between a tenant and a lodger for you(generally speaking, there are certain exceptions where a resident landlord of tenants exists, but not in this case from the look of it).

What type of "rules" do you mean? You do not pay tax on rent, and as far as I know there is no maximum rent chargable, and it certainly wouldnt be £64 anyway. Would the property actually be an HMO?? An HMO is where you basically rent a room and have shared use of kitchen etc(simplified greatly), this is far from the case when you actually share an entire house with other people - in this case there is one tenant, several occupiers, as all of you are treated as one tenant.

I can post more info, but would need to know the answers to these first(I am not really up to date on HMOs).

Well I've just about had enough of living at home - it helps save some (well lots of money) :P but my relationship with my Mother is falling apart as she becomes more unreasonable..

Now I've always preferred the company of at least some one, so I've always said i will go for a shared house, ideally one that mixed gender, (and not just cuz I want date her friends <_< )

Tonight I enquired about a local house share, and grabbed some details. But thinking about a little more about it I've got a few questions.

I would be sharing with the owner, aka landlord, or at least daughter of landlord (I think daddy purchased house for her). Can anyone explain how HMO, desposit, tax rules and contents insurance would apply etc, and is it different for a house share, especially one with live in landlord?

Are there any minor/major diffs between house sharing and renting alone, regarding the law, rights, etc

Cheers

Most of your questions re HMO's and shared houses aren't relevant when you live with the landlord. You have a lot less rights than a normal tenant when you share the landlords own home. Personally I would streer clear of it unless you thought she was very easy going. Peopl can be much more sensitive to your presence when you are in their own home.

Cheers

Hi kinesin

I'm in much the same boat as yourself. I live with my parents, and would like to move out - but the only feasible solution is a house share - mainly for social reasons.

I'm not too sure how to go about it, as I would need to live with someone who I get on with (not knowing anyone near my work) and would much prefer to stay at home than live with some nutter. I wouldn't mind living with the landlord, i.e. be a lodger, but I know a few friends who have done this and the landlord is very petty with regards to, well, almost everything! I would much rather prefer to rent a room, with the other occupiers being 'equal' tenants, rather than subletting.

I have enquired about one property a few months ago, and basically she was very stuck up herself (as she owned the house) and she thought she was doing me a favour (i.e. I couldn't afford to buy etc)! Although, she did chase me up to see why I didn't get back to her.

I guess the best way is to check the local papers.. which I will start doing again sometime next spring/summer! Let us know how you get on anyway kinesin.