House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Labour To Double Paid Paternity Leave To Four Weeks

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31253409

A future Labour government would double the amount of paid paternity leave available to new fathers from two to four weeks, Ed Miliband has announced.

The Labour leader has also pledged to increase statutory paternity pay by more than £120 a week to £260 a week, paid for by savings in tax credits.

Some business leaders have said the £150m move amounts to a business "tax".

A new system of shared parental leave championed by the Liberal Democrats comes into force in April.

The Lib Dems are also proposing, in future, a month's worth of paternity leave after a child's birth on a "use it or lose it" basis.

The Conservatives have supported greater flexibility in parental leave, arguing that all future spending policies need to pass a "families test".

The opposition says the move will be funded by a reduction in the amount of tax credits paid out to working families of three and four year olds as they take advantage of a planned increase in state-funded childcare from 15 to 25 hours a week.

Research from the IPPR think tank, cited by Labour, suggests offering four weeks paid paternity leave will cost £150m a year, assuming take-up rises from 55% to 70%.

And if more take it up?

So this is going to be funded by increasing state-funded child care which will create savings rather than giving tax credits.... If it's cheaper to do this surely the natural response is to make all child care state funded and just remove the tax credits for this???

Why not just increase it to 18 years and be done. We all know thats going to be the nature of future election campaigns. Tories: We'll protect 1 month male maternity leave. Labour: we'll double it to 2 months...and so on.

Shouldnt be an issue for government at all. If you want paid maternity leave, thats something to get written into your contract when you take the job. What the hell has it got to do with government?

A future Labour government would double the amount of paid paternity leave available to new fathers from two to four weeks, Ed Miliband has announced.

The Labour leader has also pledged to increase statutory paternity pay by more than £120 a week to £260 a week, paid for by savings in tax credits.

Why not - it's all free money, taxpayers money.

The Lib Dems are also proposing, in future, a month's worth of paternity leave after a child's birth on a "use it or lose it" basis

People must prefer to take it when the child is grown up.

The Conservatives have supported greater flexibility in parental leave, arguing that all future spending policies need to pass a "families test".

Their house price policy fails that test straight off.

Edited by billybong

Can't understand this......is this some sort of wishful thinking vote capture or something, scratching at the surface of nonsense...irrelevant polices when there are far bigger issues that will really reform society that they should be addressing.....instead of trying to fix the effect of many years of poor polices from all parties they should be putting their energies into fixing the causes....the effects will then fix themselves. ;)

They could bring down the costs of shelter and let people take the option of only one family member working.

Sounds awfully anti-government. The government needs costs to be bid up so people need the govt. If it didnt work like that, people like Miliband might be out of a job and, shock, have to actually work.

What if you are a mormon with your harem of women perpetually up the duff?

It's been a really, really, really long time since the mormons allowed polygamy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormonism_and_polygamy

In 1890, church president Wilford Woodruff issued a Manifesto that officially terminated the practice of polygamy.[6] Although this Manifesto did not dissolve existing plural marriages, relations with the United States markedly improved after 1890, such that Utah was admitted as a U.S. state. After the Manifesto, some Mormons continued to enter into polygamous marriages, but these eventually stopped in 1904 when church president Joseph F. Smith disavowed polygamy before Congress and issued a "Second Manifesto", calling for all plural marriages in the church to cease. Several small "fundamentalist" groups seeking to continue the practice split from the LDS Church, including the Apostolic United Brethren and the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints(FLDS Church). Meanwhile, the LDS Church adopted a policy of excommunicating members found practicing polygamy, and today actively seeks to distance itself from fundamentalist groups that continue the practice.[7] On its web site, the church states that "the standard doctrine of the church is monogamy" and that polygamy was a temporary exception to the rule.

I must admit I'm stumped. The guy who thought this up either;

1. Is a cynical sod who is just bribing people to vote for him. He's manipulative, rational and calculating.

or

2. Is so detached from reality that he actually thinks young fathers are desperate to bond with their infants, would put these extra weeks to the purpose and would be hugely relieved at the higher allowance. They wouldn't treat it as time off with pay to use as they will.

I don't like the first guy but I respect his mind. The second guy is nice, but stupid. On balance if I have to choose, I'd have the first guy in government, the second guy just isn't up to it.

Edited by bogbrush

Why don't they just tax workers less rent seekers more and let the workers decide how they want to spend their money instead of trying to micro manage everything.

Why don't they stop creating more stupid bureaucracy...... Why does this smell PPI?

There must be better ways of putting money into working families pockets.....this is just stupid.

Am I the only one whose wife was desperate to have someone at home helping in that 1st month?

My 1st was in 2006 and I took 2 weeks AL, with my 2nd in 2008 I got paid 1 week PL and took 1 week AL.

It's 150 million (potentially a bit more) and only good can come of it. Move on.

Am I the only one whose wife was desperate to have someone at home helping in that 1st month?

My 1st was in 2006 and I took 2 weeks AL, with my 2nd in 2008 I got paid 1 week PL and took 1 week AL.

It's 150 million (potentially a bit more) and only good can come of it. Move on.

+1

I'm amazed at the negativity on here. That first month you're not really fit for much anyway with chronic sleep deprivation and a highly emotional partner who needs support. Perhaps if more fathers were encouraged in those early days there would be less absent fathers? Lets face it, the professional breeders generally don't work anyway.

Why don't they just tax workers less rent seekers more and let the workers decide how they want to spend their money instead of trying to micro manage everything.

You'd think. Maybe I'm the only one here who thinks fathers having the opportunity to take longer paid paternity leave if they want is a good thing - and if it's something enough want then about choices and priorities.

Edited by northshore

+1

I'm amazed at the negativity on here. That first month you're not really fit for much anyway with chronic sleep deprivation and a highly emotional partner who needs support. Perhaps if more fathers were encouraged in those early days there would be less absent fathers? Lets face it, the professional breeders generally don't work anyway.

I think that's great you want to do that. The responsible thing would be to save up so you can arrange the time off without expecting someone else to pay you for your choices.

Nobody gets to choose how their tax is spent. Ask the working fathers of the country if they would rather it funded a couple of weeks off to help their family or the troops in Iraq, what would the answer be? What would actually be of more value?

Nobody gets to choose how their tax is spent. Ask the working fathers of the country if they would rather it funded a couple of weeks off to help their family or the troops in Iraq, what would the answer be? What would actually be of more value?

And that's a choice? Why not include bringing World peace or killing nuns with bayonets?

Anyway, your tax is being spent on interest on the debt run up some ending money the government didn't have. Like this.

And that's a choice? Why not include bringing World peace or killing nuns with bayonets?

Anyway, your tax is being spent on interest on the debt run up some ending money the government didn't have. Like this.

Yes it is a choice, I don't see why its so hard to grasp. Your taxes are also bring spent subsidising corporations that don't pay their way.

This is the equivalent of having a gun held against your head and ten pound stolen from your wallet. and then being given a ten pound book token instead. The person doing this to you expects you to thank him.