House Price Crash Forum

Hold Yer Hosses

HOLA441
HOLA442

depressing and yet somehow inevitable ....

Was it Headington where shop keepers threatened to fold rather than pay renatl increases? Landlords and the prop obsessed are simply living on another planet....

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

'Waterside' and its dubious foundations.

It could all take a while to settle.

or subside!

Nice place, Summertown / Parktown etc

Dragon school - all boaters and blazers - right next to Cherwell Boathouse! Punts and such. Hah! Happy days.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA446

RockDoctor, you have a point. But then, I'm not here for the Dragon School. It's just where my folks moved a long time ago and now I'm here with my own family.

And besides, the Dragon is mostly boarding, doesn't have a catchment and is outclassed by many West London preps. That's not why people are buying around here. The Dragon is just one of those throwaway EA platitudes designed to make you understand and comply with how you're being kicked in the ass regards housing.

We're not expected to question the price.

Anyway, I apologise to bemused HPC readers for the geographical drift of this post. I only wanted to point out that there's still buoyancy in some areas of the market. It's too easy to dismiss them as bubbles.

This crash/correction will be very different from the last. The spectre of status is driving the poker game.

HOLA447

This crash/correction will be very different from the last. The spectre of status is driving the poker game.

C'mon OxH, when didn't the spectre of status drive every bubble? Ever read The Great Gatsby?

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA448

RockDoctor, you have a point. But then, I'm not here for the Dragon School. It's just where my folks moved a long time ago and now I'm here with my own family.

And besides, the Dragon is mostly boarding, doesn't have a catchment and is outclassed by many West London preps. That's not why people are buying around here. The Dragon is just one of those throwaway EA platitudes designed to make you understand and comply with how you're being kicked in the ass regards housing.

We're not expected to question the price.

Anyway, I apologise to bemused HPC readers for the geographical drift of this post. I only wanted to point out that there's still buoyancy in some areas of the market. It's too easy to dismiss them as bubbles.

Very valid points and welcome to the debate :) Transactions will continue, albeit at further subdued levels and there will be certain areas that will be appear to be bombproof in relation to local earnings and desirability. Outstanding properties will always attract interest and you are on the money, it is different this time. The housing market is a totally different animal to that of 15 years ago. IMHO that`s why the correction will be a very drawn out affair..even to the point were wages catch up and meet in the middle with falls..perhaps a generation..and I`m serious on that point :(

HOLA449

I always liked the story about the Alan Ladd movie, with him walking on orange crates to boost his height in the close-ups.

So yes, there was status with the yuppies and the speculators, the media goons of the 80s bubble. But Joe Public stayed in the shadows. Now we have much higher material expectations and everyone's an expert.

Nobody expects to lose.

HOLA4410

I always liked the story about the Alan Ladd movie, with him walking on orange crates to boost his height in the close-ups.

So yes, there was status with the yuppies and the speculators, the media goons of the 80s bubble. But Joe Public stayed in the shadows. Now we have much higher material expectations and everyone's an expert.

Nobody expects to lose.

Post frequently, your views are interesting