House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spyguy

Why Are Loads Of People Really Fat?

COuple of posts this last week have brought this post on.

First, Scott Adam on science + fat:

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/109880240641/sciences-biggest-fail

Second, an old (70s) film of my home town on FB. Two comments: 'look at all the British cars', and 'wow, everyone is skinny!'

A film today would be like loads of Jabba the Huts on holiday.

Why?

I was thinking back to the fat kids at school. Now, they would be regarded as slightly plump compared to the fat kids at my kid's schools.

I was in Waitrose (Waitrose FFS, not Tesco's) and lost count of the number of Women with front and rear arses.

What's causing?

- Corn start sweetener (change from plain sugar)

- Widespread takeaways (there were not many inthe 70s)

- We are all richer and lazier and greedier?

- More cars? People will drive anywhere these days. no matter how short a distance.

- More fat people, leading to peoplefeel less pressure being fat, leading to more fat people?

- Higher benefits being paid out - you can stay at home and stuff yourself, sit around in lycra sheel suits, (Unlike the food banks happy clappers, I think the risk of UK people starving is about the same as a penguijg dying from heat stroke).

Guidelines for recommended daily calorific intake have not adjusted to take account of changes in lifestyle, which has become more and more sedentary. Many people are lulled into consuming too much.

What's causing?

The last time this came up, not so long ago, I dug out the DEFRA/ British Food Survey stats. UK per capita calorie consumption during WW2 (and rationing) was something like 2,300 calories, peaking at 2,600 in the 1950s/60s before dropping off to 1,900 calories in 2012.

The stats for the 40s/50s/60s exclude 'contributions from soft and alcoholic drinks and confectionery'. So, they're understated.

700 calories being the equivalent to a five, six, seven mile run every day. Only people in the 60s were thinner, so everyone must have been jogging around more than that.

Tap water.

It possibly doesn't help

NCBI: Urinary bisphenol A and obesity in U.S. children.

BPA and Obesity: Is This Connection Real?

We examined the association between urinary BPA and obesity in children aged 6-18 years from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (2003-2008). The primary exposure was urinary BPA and the outcome was obesity, defined as the ≥ 95th percentile of body mass index specific for age and sex. We found a positive association between increasing levels of urinary BPA and obesity, independent of age, sex, race/ethnicity, education, physical activity, serum cotinine, and urinary creatinine.

Guest eight

Food is a pastime & hobby now as opposed to necessity, and we drive almost everywhere.

It's a good point. The acquisition and consumption of food should really be, what, 1-2% of our activity? What is it really, when the likes of Tescos are seen as essential bellweathers of the economy? I saw some crap with Greg Wallace on BBC last week - it really was palpable garbage, quite literally unbelievable and probably scripted, with actors, etc. but one of the central claims was that the family in question was going food shopping (apparently unbeknown to even them) seventeen times a week.

The last time this came up, not so long ago, I dug out the DEFRA/ British Food Survey stats. UK per capita calorie consumption during WW2 (and rationing) was something like 2,300 calories, peaking at 2,600 in the 1950s/60s before dropping off to 1,900 calories in 2012.

The stats for the 40s/50s/60s exclude 'contributions from soft and alcoholic drinks and confectionery'. So, they're understated.

700 calories being the equivalent to a five, six, seven mile run every day. Only people in the 60s were thinner, so everyone must have been jogging around more than that.

Compared to today, where they are everywhere, there was very little fast food or ready meals available in the 60s. People mostly cooked from scratch. For most, the odd takeaway of e.g. fish and chips was an occasional treat, not something you did on a regular basis.

It is much easier nowadays to eat too much with virtually no effort, except that of shoving it down your throat.

Compared to today, where they are everywhere, there was very little fast food or ready meals available in the 60s. People mostly cooked from scratch. For most, the odd takeaway of e.g. fish and chips was an occasional treat, not something you did on a regular basis.

It is much easier nowadays to eat too much with virtually no effort, except that of shoving it down your throat.

Growing up in the 70s, I remember my dietary staples being bread with butter and Nutella, Findus savoury pancakes deep fried with chips and baked beans, super strong sugary insanely coloured cordials. Hardly the model of healthy nutrition in "the good old days". There was a solitary fat kid at school (not me).

Guest eight

Growing up in the 70s, I remember my dietary staples being bread with butter and Nutella, Findus savoury pancakes deep fried with chips and baked beans, super strong sugary insanely coloured cordials. Hardly the model of healthy nutrition in "the good old days". There was a solitary fat kid at school (not me).

I also remember a poor diet but I was perennially hungry too so perhaps we just ate less. A graphic example - we used to get 1L of fizzy drink every Thursday from the Lowcocks truck - this had to last until the subsequent Thursday when the bottle went back....

Second, an old (70s) film of my home town on FB. Two comments: 'look at all the British cars', and 'wow, everyone is skinny!'

A film today would be like loads of Jabba the Huts on holiday.

Why? What's causing?

No internet or 24 hour tv in the old days - you had to make your own entertainment ...

Forget going for a stroll - try sexercise: Average session burns more calories than a walk - but less than a jog
  • Men burn 4.2 calories a minute and women 3.1, say Canadian researchers
  • With the average session lasting 24.7 minutes, this equates to 104 calories for men and 69 for women

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2478830/Sex-burns-calories-going-walk--jogging.html

Bread+cakes+biscuits+sweets+fizzy drinks.

Thought it was pretty widely known in OT that sugars the problem.

I also remember a poor diet but I was perennially hungry too so perhaps we just ate less. A graphic example - we used to get 1L of fizzy drink every Thursday from the Lowcocks truck - this had to last until the subsequent Thursday when the bottle went back....

The what truck!!!

No internet or 24 hour tv in the old days - you had to make your own entertainment ...

Forget going for a stroll - try sexercise: Average session burns more calories than a walk - but less than a jog
  • Men burn 4.2 calories a minute and women 3.1, say Canadian researchers
  • With the average session lasting 24.7 minutes, this equates to 104 calories for men and 69 for women

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2478830/Sex-burns-calories-going-walk--jogging.html

You ain't walking quickly or intensely enough if you can't top 104 kcals in 25 mins!

Same here, I had what might be considered a terrible diet as a kid. Most nights it would be Sausage, real chips from a deep fat fryer and beans. The difference however was that dinner was pretty much all we got, no snacks and very limited sweets, almost never had fizzy drinks at all. Even at peak I only used to get 35p pocket money and that really only got you one bag of sweets to last a week, they would be about a third of the size of a bag of sweets you see in the shops these days.

I think it's juts all the extra stuff we eat these days, the cakes, sweets and soft drinks. Despite talks of financial hard ship we all have a far better standard of living that we have ever really had, especially when it comes to food. When you see these articles and programs on peoples shopping habits families pretty much always have a ton of biscuits, chocolate bars and crisps stuffed in the cupboard. We never had any of that as kids (especially as younger kids), you had your dinner and that was it.

First off, it is probably a confluence of lots of factors rather than a single direct cause. The suggestion that it is to do with simply being richer is somewhat negated by the stats which show obesity afflicts the poor more that the wealthy.

I have a suspicion that one element may be that people prone to obesity don't get sufficient diversity of micronutrients in their diet. Most (but not all) of the obese people I know eat a relatively narrow selection of foods which they constrain further to try and hold their weight down. This dietary inadequacy leaves them craving food all the time, but despite taking excessive calories they cannot satisfy their hunger.

Eat too much, exercise too little. That's pretty much it. Everything else is a second order effect.

Deep down we know this. I know my kids aren't active enough, I know they eat to much sugary shite. I know we drive places that we should cycle to. But it's convenient. We're not a fat family by any stretch, but I can see how it would be very easily possible.

There's no easy solution either. Maybe doubling the price of petrol and putting a punitive tax on 2 car households would have a better effect on obesity than a tax on fatty foods.

Sugar in processed food. The low fat dietary advice which is just plain wrong. Lack of manual work. Cars. Kids don't play out.

My dad rode a bike to work and humped cast iron bars onto lathes all day. As a kid I was up at six to make the fire, then tea and toast and off on the paper round before school. Then another one after school. We ventured miles as kids playing in fields, derelict train tracks, abandoned buildings and old army depots. All gone and replaced bycomputer games I suspect.

I think it's mainly down to the availability of highly processed foods pumped full of corn syrup and what not. We are more sedentary than in the past, but the amount of calories you can shovel down your gob in a few mouthfuls has sky rocketed in the last few decades.