House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

knock out johnny

Liver Function Tests

First of all, hello everyone. Actually I was a member years ago (i was known as K.O. Johnny, if anyone has a good memory!) and quit as spending too much time arguing nonsense with idiots like x-quork and the rest of the unsustainable future group-hug idiots, but I've always lurked, as hpc off topic has always been a good source of alternative views and debate.

Anyway, intro aside and back to topic title. I like a drink. Did I say I like a drink? I really, really like a drink, and abuse the privilege. Every day. I decided to get a liver function test to see what damage I have done after a particularly brutal period, and was almost hoping something negative came up,as a shot across the bows, to calm me down (I can go total abstinence on occasion, just to know who's in charge!)

So, go to the gp, and everything aOK! Nothing. Nada.

My point is, what is going on and can some people just 'get away with it?' or is the test pointless for indicating alcohol induced liver damage?

PS am 43, slightly overweight, no medical conditions, exercise regularly.

What do people the no?

First of all, hello everyone. Actually I was a member years ago (i was known as K.O. Johnny, if anyone has a good memory!) and quit as spending too much time arguing nonsense with idiots like x-quork and the rest of the unsustainable future group-hug idiots, but I've always lurked, as hpc off topic has always been a good source of alternative views and debate.

Anyway, intro aside and back to topic title. I like a drink. Did I say I like a drink? I really, really like a drink, and abuse the privilege. Every day. I decided to get a liver function test to see what damage I have done after a particularly brutal period, and was almost hoping something negative came up,as a shot across the bows, to calm me down (I can go total abstinence on occasion, just to know who's in charge!)

So, go to the gp, and everything aOK! Nothing. Nada.

My point is, what is going on and can some people just 'get away with it?' or is the test pointless for indicating alcohol induced liver damage?

PS am 43, slightly overweight, no medical conditions, exercise regularly.

What do people the no?

Not sure i get the point of this post/question being asked.

Sounds like you voluntarily tested yourself for possible liver damage because...you suddenly decided that, perhaps, you might be drinking a wee bit too much for your own good? and actually were almost hoping to get a bad result to shock you into stopping/reducing your drinking?

Were there any other background medical symptoms that also helped push you towards getting tested? If not then it sounds like pure 'guilt' driven testing.

The good news result could now well be a double edged sword, In the sense that, having seen how much you drink and show no signs of physical damage, you may well be inclined to continue or even increase your consumption.

If you're so worried about the drinking then maybe you should go back to spending your time "arguing nonsense with....unsustainable future group-hug idiots" here at HPC! Can't be as bad for your health as excessive drinking and would be kinder to your wallet too? LOL

Liver function tests aren't particularly useful except to detect ongoing active liver damage, or severe liver failure.

The liver has massive reserve capacity, and 2 of the tests only start to deteriorate when the liver is working at less than 20% or so capacity.

The other 2 or 3 tests, only detect current, ongoing liver damage - for example, hepatitis, toxins, severe fat overload, etc.

This is a big problem for doctors looking to check on patients with some types of long-term liver disease at risk of developing cirrhosis.

Thank you Chumpus. I know you're a doctor. So should I worry. I know the official line is cut back. I'm an ex paramedic so have some insight. I've see people the colour of hi-vis tabards with jaundice. Obviously don't want that.

Can I carry on?

I'm currenly performing a liver function test

Tonight I've necked 8 bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale and a half bottle of Johnny Walker and everything seems tickety-boo so far...!

I can send you a sample of my piss for your research if it helps...

;)

XYY

The point is that the type of slow liver damage caused by alcohol may not show up on liver function tests - so you have no idea what harm is being done or has been done.

Thanks. So it's pointless for the purpose I requested it. I understand now

MrPin was at Unsustainable Future. He was not 'mad at being moderated', just 'mad'!

Don't ask me how I know!

Take your liver to Mumsnet for some hugs

I am rather a polite gentleman Sir!

Thanks. So it's pointless for the purpose I requested it. I understand now

Pity..I was very interested too. I think everyones idea of over consumption varies, even the experts. I hammer the beer sometimes but can go three or four days without. To live longer we should not do this, not do that, but s od it.

saw something on the telly a while back, showed a liver being examined ...it was mostly dead/not working, but that wasnt what killed the person as it worked enough to keep the person alive.

I'm currenly performing a liver function test

Tonight I've necked 8 bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale and a half bottle of Johnny Walker and everything seems tickety-boo so far...!

I can send you a sample of my piss for your research if it helps...

;)

XYY

I've tested your piss and I agree it's fine.

You obviously haven't drunk enough.

And could we have a sustainable future reunion thread? We could sing some of the old songs and wear the uniforms again.

Btw, I used the name council dweller at that time. It pulled the chicks.