House Price Crash Forum

Dr. Who Conventions

frozen_out

HOLA441

Thought HPC would be as good a place as any to ask...

I have a 6 year old who is absolutely mad on Dr. Who and he's asked to go to a convention. I've looked online, I thought there'd be loads but I can't really find anything outside of general sci-fi/cosplay/comic-con type events. Am I looking in the wrong place? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

HOLA442

The last official convention was in 2013 for the 50th anniversary, but there are loads of unofficial ones (probably something for every weekend).

Register with Gallifrey Base

http://gallifreybase.com/forum/register.php?do=signup

then go here:

http://gallifreybase.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127

I'd suggest visiting the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff- perhaps while they are running TARDIS set tours as something that would likely appeal (perhaps in the Autumn). BTW if he is hoping to meet Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman - he might be disappointed. The current cast rarely do conventions as they are usually too busy. The best bet to meet the current cast would be something like a HMV event around the release of the latest series boxset. They didn't do one for Capaldi's first series, but they regularly did them for Matt Smith and David Tennant.

That said, I did meet Capaldi at a charity convention last year, so not impossible he might do another.

Be warned though for a lot of Who conventions there is a hell of a lot of waiting for autographs mostly (and often little else to see - except some middle aged socially awkward geeks). A general sci-fi/cult convention like London Film and Comic Con will have Doctor Who actors, and probably has more to see while waiting too. But is often massively over attended.

Be warned - long gone are the days when this stuff was cheap too. Your wallet could be seriously lighter by the end of the day.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I think most people at a Doctor Who convention might be blokes over 40, with no knowledge of women! Why not take him to a Hell's Angels do instead? :blink:

HOLA445

I think most people at a Doctor Who convention might be blokes over 40, with no knowledge of women! Why not take him to a Hell's Angels do instead? :blink:

They have plenty of knowledge of women Pinny - but sadly only the ones whose fannies are much larger on the inside than they appear from the outside...

;)

XYY

HOLA446

They have plenty of knowledge of women Pinny - but sadly only the ones whose fannies are much larger on the inside than they appear from the outside...

;)

XYY

The "tardis fanny" is only confusing to the "biggest nobs"

I missed a dinner party once, due to working away! A bloke refers ro his current GF, as "bucket ****"! She says "it fits everyone else"! :blink: Well I was lucky enough to be invited for the ride, and it did! Sadly for me, she married a mate of mine! I wasn't quick enough! You don't see angels very often! Before that, I had a spare ticket for a "motorcycle day out", and no girly at the time, so I took her to a custom bike show, on the back of the Harley Davidson that I had back then! !

I did say c-u-n-t BTW

HOLA447
HOLA448

One 'lady' told me she was not impressed by the size of my organ. I told her it has never played in a cathedral before.

You should "bless" the congregation by wonking in the font!

HOLA449

The last official convention was in 2013 for the 50th anniversary, but there are loads of unofficial ones (probably something for every weekend).

Register with Gallifrey Base

http://gallifreybase.com/forum/register.php?do=signup

then go here:

http://gallifreybase.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=127

< Adds to bookmarks

I went to the original (?) Doctor Who exhibition at Longleat House (Cambridgeshire?) back in the day, and there was an exhibition just near the Tower in Blackpool, though I believe that's shut now.

Have never been to a convention before, it's one of those "things to do before you die" list items. I already know what's going on the T-shirt ;)

Ironically I thought the biggest one was called something like "The Panopticon" and was always in America but I am probably 20 years out of date. Time for me to catch up so the links are useful, thanks.

HOLA4410

< Adds to bookmarks

I went to the original (?) Doctor Who exhibition at Longleat House (Cambridgeshire?) back in the day, and there was an exhibition just near the Tower in Blackpool, though I believe that's shut now.

Have never been to a convention before, it's one of those "things to do before you die" list items. I already know what's going on the T-shirt ;)

Ironically I thought the biggest one was called something like "The Panopticon" and was always in America but I am probably 20 years out of date. Time for me to catch up so the links are useful, thanks.

The Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff is the successor of Longleaf and Blackpool - and a worthy one too.

Regarding bucket list, all I say is set your expectations and do your research. Many conventions are dominated by autographing sessions nowadays (perhaps they always were) - and if they have other stuff like talks, cosplay competitions, photo with star, auctions - you may not get around everything. The best convention for me was the 50th one - partly because I felt no obligation to get any autographs (I had all the ones I wanted - sad git that I am).

The small Fantom ones in Chiswick are highly regarded but niche I believe (e.g. they'll do a con around everyone who ever played a dalek in the 1960s), as is Regenerations in Swansea (?). Haven't been to either. Other than that Tenth Planet Events - which I've been to a few of (mostly because I used to live just a few miles from where they held a lot of their cons so it was easy to pop over). I never had a bad day with them, but others have found them a bit of a shambles and they are rather more expensive than they used to be.

Nowdays due to living out in the sticks I tend to go to one a year - if I'm lucky. Unless there's an official con, which there were rumours about - but they seem to be false, I doubt I'll bother this year.

HOLA4411

Be warned though for a lot of Who conventions there is a hell of a lot of waiting for autographs mostly (and often little else to see - except some middle aged socially awkward geeks). A general sci-fi/cult convention like London Film and Comic Con will have Doctor Who actors, and probably has more to see while waiting too. But is often massively over attended.

Not much point in me going to one then, the actors I remember are all dead......the original Master, Liz Shaw (the assistant) Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart, Jonn Pertwee...all dead.

Re. the OP, six is about the right age for Doctor Who.....certainly have most nostalgia for the Doctor Who era when I was that age.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Not much point in me going to one then, the actors I remember are all dead......the original Master, Liz Shaw (the assistant) Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart, Jonn Pertwee...all dead.

Re. the OP, six is about the right age for Doctor Who.....certainly have most nostalgia for the Doctor Who era when I was that age.

If you were still watching a little later then Jo Grant, Captain Yates and Sergent Benton are still around - and fairly regularly signing.

Under 16 - OK

Over20 - living with your mum.

:D I dropped out of Who in my late teens/early 20s - then in my late 20s, figured I no longer cared what other people thought so got back into it again.

HOLA4415

If you were still watching a little later then Jo Grant, Captain Yates and Sergent Benton are still around - and fairly regularly signing.

Sergeant Benton - those innuendos ;)

I had a "Famous Five" audiobook as a child. I haven't heard it in what, over 30 years, and I could swear blind that it was narrated by Katy Manning. I can still "hear" it now. That detail seems to have been airbrushed from history.

HOLA4416

Sergeant Benton - those innuendos ;)

I had a "Famous Five" audiobook as a child. I haven't heard it in what, over 30 years, and I could swear blind that it was narrated by Katy Manning. I can still "hear" it now. That detail seems to have been airbrushed from history.

Possibly not the only detail Katy Manning would like airbrushed from history.

HOLA4417

Absolutlely, up to the Tom Baker era. Certainly Talons of Weng Chiang and Robots of Death quite memorable. I guess Jo sounds a bit Aussie these days? According to Wiki an expat over there. Sea Devils probably her best outing.

My earliest memory of Doctor Who was the Yetis (Troughton) and I was hopeful that might be put on DVD. Wasn't some old recording found in Africa?

HOLA4418

Absolutlely, up to the Tom Baker era. Certainly Talons of Weng Chiang and Robots of Death quite memorable. I guess Jo sounds a bit Aussie these days? According to Wiki an expat over there. Sea Devils probably her best outing.My earliest memory of Doctor Who was the Yetis (Troughton) and I was hopeful that might be put on DVD. Wasn't some old recording found in Africa?

"Web of Fear" with the yetis on the underground was found and released on DVD last year. The first one, with the yetis in Tibet, is still lost I think.

HOLA4419

Absolutlely, up to the Tom Baker era. Certainly Talons of Weng Chiang and Robots of Death quite memorable. I guess Jo sounds a bit Aussie these days? According to Wiki an expat over there. Sea Devils probably her best outing.

My earliest memory of Doctor Who was the Yetis (Troughton) and I was hopeful that might be put on DVD. Wasn't some old recording found in Africa?

She didn't really sound very Aussie last year when I met her. Actually very nice with hugs and smiles for everyone. Obviously has aged, but still very youthful in attitude and very Jo like.

Tom Baker is still going - and occasionally doing signings - as is Leela (Louise Jamieson) from the stories you mentioned above.

The second Yeti story from the Patrick Troughton era - The Web of Fear - is out on both DVD and iTunes. Every bit as good as its reputation. Although it's Enemy of the World (the story found alongside it and also available) which is the real revelation. Previously thought to be a bit of a plodder, it's a lot of fun with good characterisation. Basically Doctor Who meets James Bond/The Avengers.

The first Yeti story - The Abominable Snowmen - is missing all but episode 2 I think. Real shame as it was filmed near me and I would love to see more of the location footage.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Possibly not the only detail Katy Manning would like airbrushed from history.

If anyone meets her, please do ask :) It's bugging me. No mention on the net whatsoever.

Famous Five tape cassette audiobooks, circa 1979 - I used to really enjoy them.

Katy has such a distinctive voice ("an adult with a child's voice") that I'd be willing to bet that it was her.

HOLA4422

If anyone meets her, please do ask :) It's bugging me. No mention on the net whatsoever.

Famous Five tape cassette audiobooks, circa 1979 - I used to really enjoy them.

Katy has such a distinctive voice ("an adult with a child's voice") that I'd be willing to bet that it was her.

My understanding is that she will no longer sign "that photo" on the grounds of being a bit embarrassed about it - but said she might again when she's too old to care anymore.

Nicola Bryant apparently won't sign one particular publicity photo of her in a bikini which has a few stray hairs. Obviously pre-Photoshop days.

HOLA4423

Thanks for the info guys. :)

I'm slightly surprised though, I'd assumed there'd be some kind of meet every other weekend. The thing in Cardiff looks good, but we're a long way from Cardiff. Might have to mix it up with a camping holiday in the Summer.

My son is crazy on Dr. Who, he's got a little encyclopedia that he takes everywhere with him and that he sits using as a reference when he watches the episodes. Hes also asked to watch some older ones, he's really interested in Tom Baker for some reason.

HOLA4424

Thanks for the info guys. :)

I'm slightly surprised though, I'd assumed there'd be some kind of meet every other weekend. The thing in Cardiff looks good, but we're a long way from Cardiff. Might have to mix it up with a camping holiday in the Summer.

My son is crazy on Dr. Who, he's got a little encyclopedia that he takes everywhere with him and that he sits using as a reference when he watches the episodes. Hes also asked to watch some older ones, he's really interested in Tom Baker for some reason.

I knew I'd compiled a list somewhere..

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/133353-only-5-hours-to-go-til-the-doctor-who-christmas-special/page-14#entry2597166

Doctor Who has been analysed in some detail on here before. You (and he) may enjoy..

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/163069-doctor-who

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/192309-peter-capaldi-the-new-dr-who

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/199746-doctor-who-returns-saturday-23-august

Archived