House Price Crash Forum

Nhs Boss Pocketed £155,000 By Retiring For Just 24 Hours: She Quit, Cashed In Pension, Then Got Her Job Back!

HOLA441

Yes, seems incredible that an NHS Trust's HR process would allow it to hire a new chief executive without advertising the position or conducting interviews.

They probably did advertise but essentially made it impossible to apply for for anyone but exactly her

HOLA442

The NHS is a bottomless pit for money. The real problem is a shortage of clinicians. Instead we have public sector parasites like this sucking up money.

Just an anecdotal, but I think representative. Went to GP for minor infection. Spoke to the receptionist explaining I didn't need a doctor, as a nurse practioner could very capably prescribe amoxicillin for a finger infection.

Was told one nurse was on holiday, the other on maternity leave, and out of 5 doctors on the books there was only a locum on duty and could I come back in the morning and wait outside at 8 in the morning in the freezing cold to be first in line for a cancellation. The system is approaching something from the 3rd world, and that is the reason a&e broke down his winter. Ill people unable to access medical treatment.

The point I am trying to make, albeit ponderously, is through this farce, there were 5 receptionists on duty with 9 computer monitors and 4 printers 'on duty'

The NHS needs to be culled.

As for me? No, I didn't clog up a&e. My finger swelled and filled with pus and got significantly worse. I applied a bread poultice (i joke not) to 'bring it out' and lanced it with a sterilised needle. It hurt, but job done.

Shambles

GPs surgeries are basically private and in competition, I believe

Simply register at a different surgery

In defence of that system my GP surgery is excellent and I rarely have difficulty getting an appointment that day if necessary

HOLA443

They probably did advertise but essentially made it impossible to apply for for anyone but exactly her

The article says the job was not advertised.

Either way, if an NHS Trust is not advertising chief executive positions when they become available or is advertising them and carrying out something other than a thorough and open recruitment process then a minister needs to step in and start sacking people because that Trust has become corrupt.

HOLA444

She must have given notice.

there is no way on Earth this entire scam wasnt planned for months in advance...

HOLA445

I have seen that many times!

HOLA446

In defence of that system my GP surgery is excellent and I rarely have difficulty getting an appointment that day if necessary

I would say your surgery is the exception rather than the rule. I'm in London and think it is simply down to the sheer numbers pressuring the system, I came from the only other surgery i was allowed to register with, same problem only much smaller so even less possibility of seeing anyone when ill. however , I stand by my point of a shortage of clinicians and over administration

HOLA447

The article says the job was not advertised.

Either way, if an NHS Trust is not advertising chief executive positions when they become available or is advertising them and carrying out something other than a thorough and open recruitment process then a minister needs to step in and start sacking people because that Trust has become corrupt.

Formally advertising a public sector position and then'having someone in mind' who is then recruited ahead of other strong candidates is tacitly accepted in the public sector in my experience. I'm assuming this goes right to the top, but I can't prove that.

HOLA448

I would say your surgery is the exception rather than the rule. I'm in London and think it is simply down to the sheer numbers pressuring the system, I came from the only other surgery i was allowed to register with, same problem only much smaller so even less possibility of seeing anyone when ill. however , I stand by my point of a shortage of clinicians and over administration

Fair play. Interesting.

HOLA449

Thre's some sort of geographical restriction. I've been told to leave two different surgeries. On both occasion's it was because I"d moved house so they were no longer able to treat me as I was out of their catchment area.

HOLA4410

Formally advertising a public sector position and then'having someone in mind' who is then recruited ahead of other strong candidates is tacitly accepted in the public sector in my experience. I'm assuming this goes right to the top, but I can't prove that.

I've worked for a variety of public sector organisations and that's how it works pretty much most of the time. I'd say that the more senior the post the more likely it is to be a stitch up.

HOLA4411

Thre's some sort of geographical restriction. I've been told to leave two different surgeries. On both occasion's it was because I"d moved house so they were no longer able to treat me as I was out of their catchment area.

Yes

Although the new patients catchment is usually smaller than the existing patients catchment afaik

HOLA4412

I've worked for a variety of public sector organisations and that's how it works pretty much most of the time. I'd say that the more senior the post the more likely it is to be a stitch up.

Works like this everywhere, public or private. The senior guys like their circle jerk. People like to bash middle management, but often the problem is senior management appointing their middle managers/other senior managers inappropriately.

Where I am right now there is absolutely no meritocracy, and its part of the reason were not doing brilliantly at the minute.

HOLA4413

Works like this everywhere, public or private. The senior guys like their circle jerk. People like to bash middle management, but often the problem is senior management appointing their middle managers/other senior managers inappropriately.

Where I am right now there is absolutely no meritocracy, and its part of the reason were not doing brilliantly at the minute.

They waste money at my place. Pity a lot more of it is not wasted on me!

HOLA4414

These things happen all the time. I was in a public meeting of an NHS Foundation Trust where there was a proposal to increase the chairperson's salary (one day a week job) to £50,000 from around £15,000. Vote taken by the governors, increase accepted. It took around one minute with a comment that this is the going rate for the job.

Lets just hope they will never need the services of the NHS if or when in dire need, and hope their children will use the good fortune and good education in the best way possible for themselves and the common good......may they be forever satisfied, healthy and contented. ;)

HOLA4415

They waste money at my place. Pity a lot more of it is not wasted on me!

Indeed. I recall an old boss of mine explaining to me that my salary was only a small fraction of the amount it cost to employ me. Left himself wide open for my reply: 'well in that case a significant pay-rise isn't going to make much of a difference to your bottom line, is it?'. You can't beat calling people out on their ********.

HOLA4416

Indeed. I recall an old boss of mine explaining to me that my salary was only a small fraction of the amount it cost to employ me. Left himself wide open for my reply: 'well in that case a significant pay-rise isn't going to make much of a difference to your bottom line, is it?'. You can't beat calling people out on their ********.

I get my own back by doing a half-baked shit job of it! As I am not responsible for the final product! I am just a resource, and am pushed from one job to another! Actually, the worser the job is, the the more overtime I get! I just get payed! What a way to run a fuggin business! :unsure:

HOLA4417

Yes

HOLA4418

I get my own back by doing a half-baked shit job of it! As I am not responsible for the final product! I am just a resource, and am pushed from one job to another! Actually, the worser the job is, the the more overtime I get! I just get payed! What a way to run a fuggin business! :unsure:

Depressing but true

HOLA4419

Depressing but true

I have a healthy respect for those that do not fug up much in the first place! In big companies you become "visible" and important if you are always seen to be fixing the fug-ups, even if they are of your own making! Panic is seen as productivity! :huh:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I have a healthy respect for those that do not fug up much in the first place! In big companies you become "visible" and important if you are always seen to be fixing the fug-ups, even if they are of your own making! Panic is seen as productivity! :huh:

I've seen that much too often: promotions and prizes given to those who "rescued" a job, which was only in trouble because of their rank incompetence in the first place.

I criticised in a rather public and not diplomatic way one bloke who screwed up big time, and was called to the head honcho's office where I was told "..he comes from a culture that respects authority....". I had to reply that I came from a culture that respected competence. I got the sack (I was glad to go).

HOLA4422

I've seen that much too often: promotions and prizes given to those who "rescued" a job, which was only in trouble because of their rank incompetence in the first place.

I criticised in a rather public and not diplomatic way one bloke who screwed up big time, and was called to the head honcho's office where I was told "..he comes from a culture that respects authority....". I had to reply that I came from a culture that respected competence. I got the sack (I was glad to go).

I would really like to work with you now! I too have been dismissed for pointing out the lack of whereabouts, of some Emporer's clothes!

HOLA4423

Respect

Much of corporate culture is motivated by control, which i believe is tribal in origin

Archived