House Price Crash Forum
tyres

Chancellor Ignored Advice From Treasury To Launch Help To Buy Scheme

no big surprise

web-osborne-getty.jpg

Exclusive: Treasury advice suggested the majority of the purchases made through the scheme 'would likely have happened anyway over time'

The Chancellor’s economic justification for his Help to Buy programme was contradicted by the Treasury’s own internal analysis, The Independent has learned. George Osborne has repeatedly defended the housing finance-support scheme by arguing it will stimulate more housing construction. Under “part one” of the scheme, the Government lends housebuyers up to 20 per cent of the value of new-build properties. This means buyers only need to find deposits of around 5 per cent of the purchase price. Last September, the Chancellor claimed Help to Buy “is driving a big increase in house building, boosting the construction industry and increasing housing supply”.

article here...

Help to Buy Votes, not houses.

To think I bust a gut to convince everyone in my extended family to vote Conservative at the last election. Now my extended family is larger and everyone will be voting UKIP in May :D.

To think I bust a gut to convince everyone in my extended family to vote Conservative at the last election. Now my extended family is larger and everyone will be voting UKIP in May :D.

I voted for Gordon, things would have been so much better if he'd not been allowed to F... o..

Are your extended family not able to think for themselves?

I think UKIP will win a few seats this election. I'm pretty sure my 'centre right wing' parents will be voting UKIP. Don't think they have voted Tory since Maggie Thatcher was ousted.

Hasn't the 'Help to Buy Mortgage to the hilt' cash now been used up? :unsure:

Mam with house in london uses tax payers money to underpin or raise his house price.

The Mps expenses scandal is chicken feed compared to the tax payer funded 2nd home tax free unearned fls funded, htb boosted, equity scandal.

Lockimg the ### up would be too good for him.

It's time one of the big papers worked this out.

But this IS news - the real story here is that a mainstream newspaper is calling it a scandal that a politician connived to cause house price inflation. A decade ago, he would have been cheered for doing this - especially by the BBC.

Let's hope this is the first of many news stories where the underlying subtext is: house price inflation is a bad thing.

A vote for UKIP is a vote for the Tories in a lot of ways isn't it?

UKIP/Tory coalition.

The worst of both worlds.

As a Tory I want Cameron and his merry band of morons binned ASAP.

He's the successor to Blair, not Major.

I'll probably end up voting independent in my area strangely.

Edited by byron78

Last September, the Chancellor claimed Help to Buy “is driving a big increase in house building, boosting the construction industry and increasing housing supply”.

From the newspaper article house building has increased by a pitiful 2% (say 2000) since the introduction of Help to Buy (Sell) but from the very low level of just over 100,000 new homes a year under the Conservative and Libdem coalition government - about the same number as at the end of the Labour government in 2010.

_54388267_housebuilding_464.gif

At the same time there's been a mega bubble in London house prices - apparently mainly for the benefit of overseas buyers and speculators. Of course many Londoners including MPs and their cronies will have benefited as well especially if they sold recently.

A really wicked housing and house price policy.

Edited by billybong

Help to Buy: who has it really helped? (longer version of same article really).

"...However, the submission also warned that “the number of additional transactions would be more than halved if a policy generated a house price increase of more than 10 per cent”. In other words, if house prices shot up, that would stymie construction."

Of course they are, but sometimes it's hard to see the wood from the trees with all the electioneering and spin.

UKIP don't want to build houses? Their policies would make it harder to build and push house prices up further still.

You'd be better off voting Labour or Tory, both with their 200k houses per year promises.

Or better still, vote Green or TUSC who both want to build lots of council houses, the latter in particular.

UKIP don't want to build houses? Their policies would make it harder to build and push house prices up further still.

You'd be better off voting Labour or Tory, both with their 200k houses per year promises.

Or better still, vote Green or TUSC who both want to build lots of council houses, the latter in particular.

Indeed, UKIP would be the party of a NIMBYs charter, as they have promised to have a referendum on "major" planning applications, if 5% of the local electorate (pester) petition the local council..

http://planningblog.planningresource.co.uk/2013/05/03/ukips-planning-pledges/

UKIP aren't in favour of general greenfield development for new homes but apparently they do expect to be able to provide about 2 to 3 million new homes.

Which could be 10 to 15 years supply if their estimate of a requirement for 200,000 new homes a year is correct. Likely brownfield development could also be implemented quicker than greenfield development due to fewer planning problems.

Despite what the Conservatives, Libdems and Labour "promise" to build after the election the Conservative/Libdem government is currently building a bit more than 100,000 new homes a year - a similar number to that built by the Labour government in their final year. About half UKIP's proposed number of 200,000 a year.

http://

www.ukip.org/andrew_charalambous_vote_purple_keep_britain_green

Edited by billybong

As far as house building, it'll not matter what colour the next government is unless people can afford houses built.

They all skirt around that elephant in the room.

The effect of a HPC on the UKs GDP will be far great that the slide that we saw in 2008 - 2012. What ever the next government is they'll do what ever they can to stop the HPC.

I'm convinced that post the election there will be no up tick in house building.

I no longer take notice of Lib/Lab/Con policies, they all state a load of tosh in their manifestos and then do what they damn well please once in government.

I think that Nigel Farage would make the best leader out of the choice available, and secondly, the main parties fear UKIP more than anything else. That fear is a result of them believing, whatever they might say, that UKIP have a real chance of winning seats in the next election.

As a lifelong Tory, it saddens me to see what the party has become under the present leadership and I will never vote Tory again until there has been a change at the top. The LibDems have shown their true colours in coalition and I could never vote Labour, so UKIP it is in May.

I no longer take notice of Lib/Lab/Con policies, they all state a load of tosh in their manifestos and then do what they damn well please once in government.

I think that Nigel Farage would make the best leader out of the choice available, and secondly, the main parties fear UKIP more than anything else. That fear is a result of them believing, whatever they might say, that UKIP have a real chance of winning seats in the next election.

As a lifelong Tory, it saddens me to see what the party has become under the present leadership and I will never vote Tory again until there has been a change at the top. The LibDems have shown their true colours in coalition and I could never vote Labour, so UKIP it is in May.

...it would be interesting to see UKIP becoming party of a coalition (which I hope they don't), but Farage not winning his seat, thus not being able to become part of a cabinet..who would be the "party leader"? Would there be a power struggle? All if and buts I know...

The way I see it, UKIP is there to 'mop up' votes from people sick of the main three parties. UKIP are the fourth establishment party. They are full of public schoolboys, ex-tories, landlords, and so on. The amount of media coverage they get is unbelievably high. Consider their media coverage compared to TUSC for example - who are practically unheard off.

The main three don't fear UKIP, they fear the likes of TUSC and they don't mention them at all so they never even enter the public conscience. There have been many cross party groups looking into why people are disillusioned with politics and politicians in general. The establishment knows full well people are looking for an alternative, so they provide that alternative in the form of UKIP, and give it coverage, make it out to be anti-establishment - and now we have a situation where there is the main 4, with the fourth party being used to mop up votes lost by the main three establishment parties.

I'm not a fan of UKIP, however I would rather they take seats than the main three - as I think it would help shake things up - by showing people small parties can become big parties in a relatively short period of time .

But Ideally, I would rather see normal working class people getting together, organising and providing an alternative to the main 4 establishment parties. And thankfully, they are to a degree, in TUSC.

People in UKIP constantly complain they do not get coverage in the media etc. yet they get loads. Think about that, and think why they are able to get so much coverage. If they were a real threat to the establishment, to the power structures in this country. Do you really think they would get as much coverage as they do? Would you have many ex tories in their party? Landlords? Wealthy backers?

Then consider TUSC - in election coverage, they often aren't even named. In the election results for the BBC they are down as OTH for Other. The people standing for TUSC are mostly normal everyday workers. You have some ex-Labour councillors who have been expelled from the Labour party for voting against cuts. Firefighters, teachers, train drivers, and so on.

UKIP are 90% bankrolled by ex-Tory donors; riddled with failed, disgraced and defected Tory politicians; and led by a former Tory party activist who describes UKIP as "keeping the flame of Thatcherism alive".

The excellent blogger Another Angry Voice did an excellent take down of them here,

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/12-tory-ukip-defectors.html

UKIP has the word independence in its name - the United Kingdom Independence Party.

It's high time the eu matter was resolved - yes or no, in or out.

The LibLabCon has fed off the eu issue and the eu divisions for far too long.

Edited by billybong