House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Buy-To-Let Landlords With Older Homes Will Be Forced To Install Insulation And Double-Glazing Or Face A Ban From Taking Tenants

I remember on homes under the hammer refurbishments described as ' good enough for rental'. Anyway the BTL lot are running a business so it is just another business risk.

There was a nice tax benefit for insulating. So there's very little reason not to.

I know one house on my street has a 'C' but in reality it's like an ice box as it has a single walled extension on the back of the kitchen which turns it into an icebox in this weather.

I saw a place for sale the other day. Just by walking through the door you could see that it had been a rental property for years. That smell, the kitchen made from the cheapest possible units.....

Haha, I wish this rule had been in place at my old flat.. it was so, so cold!

I had to fall back from the outer rooms, shutting down their radiators and sealing the doors for winter!

It was a scorched Earth policy, but with no discernible heat!

Eventually I was huddled in the one double-glazed room, barely able to get the temperature above 20C!

Absolutely fantastic flat in summer (huge roof terrace) but bitterly cold in winter.

Luckily it was a rental -- if I'd have owned it I would have gone to town on insulation!

Oh yeah plenty of granny extensions built with flat roof and no insulation in roof prior to tightening building regs. Have to run the heating at maximum in these type.

Imagine there maybe similar in those sheds with beds.

Yes the quality of the UK housing stock is an interesting question. Are landlords investing enough in their properties ?

I rent a Victorian place with a grand bay front window, south facing, original wobbly table glass panes. In lovely panneled wood sashes etc.

What chance the new legislation will make this illegal?

I rent a Victorian place with a grand bay front window, south facing, original wobbly table glass panes. In lovely panneled wood sashes etc.

Not sure how this legislation will work in graded properties.

If you are on a rolling contract, you wont be affected

If the property is listed, you wont be affected

Maybe your successor will get ghastly upvc windows of the kind that disgorge a great farage of flies whenever you open them?

I have no problem with improving the energy efficiency of houses. In fact the UK has some of the least efficient houses of any developed nation. However the blame with this does not really lie with "bad landlords" Building regulations have been poor, the build quality of most homes in the UK is poor and then there is the love of old houses with original features which are also usually very inefficient.

If landlords are forced to upgrade their houses, owner occupiers should also be forced to do so too.

Guest Jemmy Button

Private Landlords should not only be forced to upgrade their dwellings but also be forced to give back the money they obtained via Housing Benefit. All private landlords are modern day slave owners/scum of the earth.

Expensively

Or by making the properties worthless.

I've heard of Victorian draughty properties (not listed, but in "conservation areas"), where planning permission has been refused for various efficiency improvements, such as double glazing and wall insulation.

Edited by ChumpusRex

I've heard of Victorian draughty properties (not listed, but in "conservation areas"), where planning permission has been refused for various efficiency improvements, such as double glazing and wall insulation.

Absolutely. The hypocrisy of government policy in the UK constantly reaches new heights. Some planners insist that Crittal windows are somehow the greatest gift to mankind.

Basically this is just more police state stuff. Similar to forcing us to have one type of boiler etc.

This is hardly police state, any more than requiring restaurants to have minimum hygiene standards. When you are choosing a place to rent, you would not have any idea about how painfully cold it could be in winter any more than you have an idea about the quality of a restaurant's kitchen. You make a decision on its location, decoration and price and you take it as a given that it does not suffer damp and that it is connected to utilities and there is some level of insulation.

A landlord can save a few hundred pounds by not installing loft insulation, but his tenants pay the cost many times over in higher heating bills and general discomfort.

Indeed.

But there's planning permission, and planning permission. If you're serious about it, you'll submit acceptable plans, even if it involves building your double glazing on something more expensive than cheap&nasty plastic.

Place I lived from 2005-2013 was very well insulated indeed, as well as being about 160-170 years old and in a conservation area. That was an owner who converted and modernised to a high standard and in keeping with the area before letting it out.

This is hardly police state, any more than requiring restaurants to have minimum hygiene standards. When you are choosing a place to rent, you would not have any idea about how painfully cold it could be in winter any more than you have an idea about the quality of a restaurant's kitchen. You make a decision on its location, decoration and price and you take it as a given that it does not suffer damp and that it is connected to utilities and there is some level of insulation.

A landlord can save a few hundred pounds by not installing loft insulation, but his tenants pay the cost many times over in higher heating bills and general discomfort.

You might not, but I make it my business to find out. Nannying is not necessary unless renting to children,