House Price Crash Forum
SarahBell

Nhs Saved! Easy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2940320/At-crackdown-foreign-patients-abusing-NHS-Sick-visitors-EU-cost-400million-year.html

The move could eventually be extended to cover patients from other parts of the world in a bid to save the NHS an estimated £2billion a year.
Receptionists will for the first time ask all new patients from European countries to show their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), otherwise they will be barred from registering. This will allow the NHS to flag up patients whose home countries should be paying for their treatment, particularly if they go on to be seen in hospital.

The Government is consulting on other plans which include making overseas patients pay 150 per cent of the cost of treatment, which would make it profitable for hospitals to chase the bills. Ministers are also consulting on proposals to introduce a £200 annual health levy for migrants who are here longer than six month

Edited by SarahBell

Erm, sounds like so much hot air.

Foreigners who are legally resident here and subject to our tax/NI rules qualify by virtue of their contributions, yesno? Those who aren't resident are in the same boat as Brits on holiday, and have either statutory reciprocal arrangements (EU and some other countries) or their own provisions (typically travel insurance).

Erm, sounds like so much hot air.

Foreigners who are legally resident here and subject to our tax/NI rules qualify by virtue of their contributions, yesno? Those who aren't resident are in the same boat as Brits on holiday, and have either statutory reciprocal arrangements (EU and some other countries) or their own provisions (typically travel insurance).

As an immigrant in the UK, you do not need to pay for your own healthcare provision. Why would you when the NHS will hand out healthcare for free? The NHS isn't even set up to bill a private health care insurer, so the idea that this is commonplace is just plain wrong.

The NHS costs everybody in the UK about £2000 a year, whether they pay for it or not. That's a significant sum of money that most immigrants into the country would just rather not pay, and most don't.

This country isn't geared up for paid-for medicine. You cannot register with a GP on a private basis (except perhaps if you live near Harley St.) GPs don't have tills or credit card readers. And even the proud possessors of private health insurance have to go through their NHS GP in the first instance (and get funneled into the GP's preferred private consultant.) There is no private emergency medicine; you cannot call a private ambulance; there is almost no private obstetrics.

It has always worked out cheaper to ignore the fact that some people should be paying than to gear up to collect the cash.

Even MPs have to wait their four hour turn in A&E. ;)

You wouldn't get treatment in other EU countries as a visitor without your EHIC card or travel insurance documents.....

You wouldn't get treatment in other EU countries as a visitor without your EHIC card or travel insurance documents.....

+1

And no free scripts either.

+1

And no free scripts either.

That is why so many will wait in A&E rather than go to a very knowledgeable local pharmacist who will give good medical help and advise for minor ailments....they do not want to pay the high cost of medication a chemist sells....very expensive most of it......all free at A&E.....well worth the many hours wait. ;)

That is why so many will wait in A&E rather than go to a very knowledgeable local pharmacist who will give good medical help and advise for minor ailments....they do not want to pay the high cost of medication a chemist sells....very expensive most of it......all free at A&E.....well worth the many hours wait. ;)

Only 5% of prescriptions are paid for.. Presumably in England..

These costs apply only to England as prescription charges have been abolished in the rest of the UK. In Wales, prescriptions have been free for everyone since 2007, Northern Ireland scrapped the charges in 2010 and Scotland followed suit in 2011.

Only 5% of prescriptions are paid for.. Presumably in England..

These costs apply only to England as prescription charges have been abolished in the rest of the UK. In Wales, prescriptions have been free for everyone since 2007, Northern Ireland scrapped the charges in 2010 and Scotland followed suit in 2011.

What I am saying is if you are not registered at a doctor or can't wait up to a week to see one...feeling under the weather, sickness, minor injury something that is not an accident or an emergency....your local pharmacist is normally very good and can ask the right questions, look at you and assess the urgency, something that can't always be done over the phone, and in will often have over the counter medications they can provide that will help but at a very high cost....that is why some people avoid using them when they can and do help or can point in right direction....people who are used to getting things for free will wait blocking up A&E.

Edited by winkie

What I am saying is if you are not registered at a doctor or can't wait up to a week to see one...feeling under the weather, sickness, minor injury something that is not an accident or an emergency....you local pharmacist is normally very good and can ask the right questions, look at you and assess the urgency, something that you can't always do over the phone, and in many cases have over the counter medications they can provide that will help but at a very high cost....that is why some people avoid using them when they can and do help or can point in right direction....people who are used to getting things for free will wait blocking up A&E.

If you are entitled to free scripts then you can do 'pharmacy first' for some stuff. Nothing like AB or strong painkillers I don't think.

If you are entitled to free scripts then you can do 'pharmacy first' for some stuff. Nothing like AB or strong painkillers I don't think.

Could this be changed....I know on the continent pharmacies sell many more medications over the counter, things you can only get here on prescription....use their talents and qualifications helping the doctors out.....don't start me on paperwork computer systems, privacy, H&S etc etc.....there will be so many stupid reasons why good things don't happen, stupid reasons why they are blocked...... ;)

Could this be changed....I know on the continent pharmacies sell many more medications over the counter, things you can only get here on prescription....use their talents and qualifications helping the doctors out.....don't start me on paperwork computer systems, privacy, H&S etc etc.....there will be so many stupid reasons why good things don't happen, stupid reasons why they are blocked...... ;)

It could all be changed.

How being sick works abroad re the e111 - I assume it's not beyond the wisdom of someone to work out how to do the same here all the time.

Even MPs have to wait their four hour turn in A&E. ;)

You do in France. It is called l'aide medicale d'etat (AME) and costs the French taxpayer 800 million per year. 263,962 people not covered by insurance (largely illegal immigrants) benefited from it last year.

You do in France. It is called l'aide medicale d'etat (AME) and costs the French taxpayer 800 million per year. 263,962 people not covered by insurance (largely illegal immigrants) benefited from it last year.

They are not visitors....they are asylum seekers possibly?

Could start with visitors....people who visit to gain free health and ops, late stages of pregnancy to have their children, on holiday and go back home after using......does the NHS claim on visitors travel insurance for accidents and emergencies?.....do they ask the question?

They ring-fence overseas aid.....in that case why not allocate part of that budget go to help the NHS overseas health tourists. ;)

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/194163-nhs-can-save-l500m-on-foreign-care

We've discussed this. I wrote to the Department of Health but just got a boilerplate reply. I wrote to my MP who said he would write to the DoH and forward me their reply when it arrived. I didn't hear anything more and then I moved constituencies. I think it's time to have another go.

They are not visitors....they are asylum seekers possibly?

Not only. The figure includes people who specifically haven't claimed asylum, because they want to go to the UK. Another example the Algerian mother of a neighbour had cancer treatment under the CMU scheme despite never having paid into the system nor being a French resident (she lives in Algiers) when she visited last summer as her family is French based.

So it is not just the UK that offers health care to visitors. Of course the French also treat people with European health cards.

Whyever not? I've had treatment in two other EU countries with altogether less hassle than our NHS. Though Italian prescription charges are a lot higher than ours.

Whyever not? I've had treatment in two other EU countries with altogether less hassle than our NHS. Though Italian prescription charges are a lot higher than ours.

Are you an EU citizen and visiting....NHS is free.

Would you get it for free in USA?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2940320/At-crackdown-foreign-patients-abusing-NHS-Sick-visitors-EU-cost-400million-year.html

The move could eventually be extended to cover patients from other parts of the world in a bid to save the NHS an estimated £2billion a year.

Receptionists will for the first time ask all new patients from European countries to show their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), otherwise they will be barred from registering. This will allow the NHS to flag up patients whose home countries should be paying for their treatment, particularly if they go on to be seen in hospital.

The Government is consulting on other plans which include making overseas patients pay 150 per cent of the cost of treatment, which would make it profitable for hospitals to chase the bills. Ministers are also consulting on proposals to introduce a £200 annual health levy for migrants who are here longer than six month

I am afraid that the real problem is the aging population plus NHS miss management ...