House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

200 People Protest The Cuts In Manchester

Did anyone tell them Austerity means living within your means?

I thought the austerity meme was about living below your means and paying back what you spent...

Austerity means..... living below the breadline so some rich people can be bailed and made even richer.

Despite austerity, there should be no need for anyone to be below the breadline in the UK. That is what benefits provide -a safety net. However many people on benefits think being on the breadline is when you can no longer afford sky, have a smartphone or eat takeaways.

Frankly, I just want to live in a country where the government spending bill roughly reflects the quality of government services!

Even with "austerity" we are still spending beyond our means, and living in a state with embarrassing public services.

When George trims the deficit by a few percent, we see front-line services collapse into "crisis".... what happened to the rest of the money?!

Despite austerity, there should be no need for anyone to be below the breadline in the UK. That is what benefits provide -a safety net. However many people on benefits think being on the breadline is when you can no longer afford sky, have a smartphone or eat takeaways.

+1

You are so out of touch. Have you thoght about standing for Westminster?

+1

Around Milton Keynes we have many people sleeping in their cars and in tents on verges. They haven't got sky or smartphones. As for takeaways - it's pretty difficult to cook in a car.

Won't say where I was, but looking out of the window last week around midnight saw two people and their two small dogs prepare for a nights kip on the pavement outside a shuttered shop....cardboard and quilts......walking past on the other corner were wealthy looking people exiting an expensive restaurant wearing top quality designer clothes to be driven away in a very nice car......

So we have the beggars making a living from the rich during the day and we have the rich making from the poor because they have been allowed to keep more of their wealth and have been given the power to distribute it to who they want on their terms, when and what they want, or not to anyone at all preferring to keep it for themselves and their important friends of influence, because they are worth it.....just saying......it's all out there to see.....not passing judgement.

...walking past on the other corner were wealthy looking people exiting an expensive restaurant wearing top quality designer clothes to be driven away in a very nice car......

Perhaps it was a working dinner for the Council?

What Greater Manchester council chief executives are paid:

BOLTON – Sean Harriss £170,000

BURY – Mike Kelly £147,822

MANCHESTER – Sir Howard Bernstein £203,934*

OLDHAM – Charlie Parker £177,364*

ROCHDALE – Jim Taylor £130,000

SALFORD – Barbara Spicer £175,096

STOCKPORT – Eamonn Boylan £170,051

TAMESIDE – Steven Pleasant £166,929

TRAFFORD – Theresa Grant £155,000

WIGAN – Donna Hall £165,000

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/business-leaders-say-greater-manchester-3314561

Around Milton Keynes we have many people sleeping in their cars and in tents on verges. They haven't got sky or smartphones. As for takeaways - it's pretty difficult to cook in a car.

+1

I know a few people on benefits. They're not living a life if Riley. It's been posted many times in here how awful IDS treatment of jobseeekers is, sanctions, suicides, food banks. Real poverty.

http://www.theladbible.com/articles/listen-to-the-heartbreaking-moment-a-homeless-man-breaks-down-live-on-the-radio

Anyone that thinks jobseeekers are living it up should listen to the phone in on this link.

+1

I know a few people on benefits. They're not living a life if Riley. It's been posted many times in here how awful IDS treatment of jobseeekers is, sanctions, suicides, food banks. Real poverty.

http://www.theladbible.com/articles/listen-to-the-heartbreaking-moment-a-homeless-man-breaks-down-live-on-the-radio

Anyone that thinks jobseeekers are living it up should listen to the phone in on this link.

Yep I know some. They're returning to cash in hand work or crime to do the minimum to get back to their pre-cut levels of income. All the while I slave like a **** all week to pay for them. They don't want to work - life is too easy for them.

What's the story with those you know on benefits?

Yep I know some. They're returning to cash in hand work or crime to do the minimum to get back to their pre-cut levels of income. All the while I slave like a **** all week to pay for them. They don't want to work - life is too easy for them.

I only know one person on JSA. All the rest are on the sick. They're the ones with brand new cars and living a life of riley.

.....nobody skilled and educated enough would choose a life on benefits....having a purpose, a job to do, a reason to get up in the morning and hard work is good for your sanity.....would you choose to live a life on benefits, I certainly wouldn't. ;)

This life on benefits has been going on for years now.....no government would tackle it, just kept throwing money at it....the key is to get people young and give them a job of worth sooner rather than later, to set them up for life......hard to teach an old dog new tricks when the benefit culture is all they know.

I only know one person on JSA. All the rest are on the sick. They're the ones with brand new cars and living a life of riley.

Someone other than the state must be supporting them. ;)

Single parent mum. 2 kids, partner became an alcoholic, arrested for being a public nuisance whilst drunk, spells In prison before deportation. Not her fault, left with a 6 year old and 10 year old.

Another friend with mental health issues, he's in work now but jsa not exactly helpful or considerate.

It's a toughie, long term professional sick notes are out there, I knew of one claiming the sick with his mum as a carer (he had bad back) his dad coaching him how to get a payout from work ( daddy was manager) whilst working on the black economy cash in hand and playing in goal for a team his dad managed.

But anecdotes and a few bad apples aren't enough reason to wipe out the safety net IMO.

The neo cons decided upon abandoning full employment and having a permanent unemployed class to keep pay inflation down.