House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hpn

If You Owned Rightmove...

Hi HPCers, long-time lurker, my first post. I've been toying with the idea of creating a propertysnake-type clone and this has got my creative juices flowing - in a particularly boring and quiet January-February at my business :) So purely for fun, if you could create your own Rightmove or if you owned Rightmove now, what information would you add/remove to it? What would you change?

Here are my ideas in no particular order.

1- Prevent EAs from removing a property and then relaunching it as a 'new' property a few days later at a lower/same price.

2- Get rid of the sodding Homewise arseholes. Who buys them?

3- Stop EAs listing a semi-detached as a detached, and vice-versa. A fine for purposely being misleading (as they nearly all do it on purpose)

4- Show a mortgage calculator next to the property details, with a large fat current and future monthly payment in red to show the real cost when/if rates rise.

5- Crime figures and flood risk data alongside property details.

No shit? Am I being too cryptic in my intentions?

A few more I forgot to mention:

6- (obvious) clear and presentable graphs of price drops

7- If it's ever been listed with another agent, in the past 2 years

To make it useful for people buying a house - then sadly you're missing the point for the majority.

It seems the vast majority are happy to pay through the nose for an over-valued blank canvas they can stamp their own mark on to.

We used to call it moving in. But apparently these days you are obliged to completely redecorate and rip out perfectly good kitchens and bathrooms.

3- Stop EAs listing a semi-detached as a detached, and vice-versa. A fine for purposely being misleading (as they nearly all do it on purpose)

Related to this, re-instate the 'report this advert' feature and have RM staff decide whether the property is accurately listed rather than the EA.

There was an 'onthemarket' ad on while I was typing this.

Both Rightmove and Zoopla are listed on the London Stock exchange, so you can buy and sell them any weekday. You may well be part owner if you have a pension fund, or money in a mainstream UK fund.

You could also create a view onto them tailored just as you wish it. As propertybee used to do (maybe still does, but I no longer have a use for it since Zoopla first introduced price history as standard).

Related to this, re-instate the 'report this advert' feature and have RM staff decide whether the property is accurately listed rather than the EA.

There was an 'onthemarket' ad on while I was typing this.

In fairness, I recently contacted RM about two houses which appeared in my email search as "Reduced", but when I looked at them using the Chrome RM extension, it was clear that neither of them had been reduced at all.

RM came back to me within 24 hours, and said that in one case it was a genuine reduction (I assume Chrome is missing something here because there's no reduction visible to me), but in the other case the EA data was clearly wrong, and they had contacted the agent to sort it out.

I was genuinely quite surprised at the way they handled this. RM have obviously understood that whilst the EAs are their customers, the traffic is their main asset, and if the traffic starts dropping off due to poor data quality, then their business model is finished.

I'd encourage people to contact RM about any EA shenanigans - for as long as they're prepared to act on it, it would be silly not to.

All photos to be shot on a miserable rainy day in February. See what the place looks like at its worst with no leaves on the trees.

None of this perma summer that seems to be de rigeur.

Seen a couple of new ones with snowy photos, one under grey skies looking cold and dull (the other was sunny, which makes it look quite good). Another with trees in leaf but it leaves me wondering if it may be a bit dark in summer, since there are a lot of trees nearby, it faces NW, and there's a bank to the south. Still, it blocks out the view of the scrap heap and burned out mill almost next door (I actually quite like this one and may take a look at it beyond just the walk past I've already done).

I'd encourage people to contact RM about any EA shenanigans - for as long as they're prepared to act on it, it would be silly not to.

Will they stop listing properties that are available on RM for sale but impossible to view?

There's one EA that does this to bolster it's stock numbers.

Will they stop listing properties that are available on RM for sale but impossible to view?

Hmm not sure they'd be able to do anything about that - I guess they can only work on complaints where they can check the data themselves.

Hmm, that's possibly another explanation for the one that went SSTC and reappared (although fell through sounds more likely). I'll find out if I ever get around to trying to get a viewing.

How about a star rating/user review section, like with Trip Advisor or Amazon. People who visit the property rate it (and possibly the agent as well) and discuss pros and cons of the property.

Obviously, EAs would clog this with fake five star reviews bigging up the property, but it would be fairly easy to tell which reviews were genuine. We do this with most other product, why not with houses?

Thanks, that's a great idea. I've got something lined up in 'beta' stage so will let you all know when is nearing launch, if it ever gets that far. I think Propertysnake's issue was it was using Rightmove's actual images (ie hotlinking to them).