House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SNACR

Why Does Society Frown On Men Carrying Things On Their Belts? (Exc. Police/army)

I have just been indulging in a pretty heavy duty fondling session of my multitool collection (that's Leatherman type things not the vibratey tile grout remover and saw things - which I'II admit I may also have a slightly less well handled and smaller collection of).

Now when I see any weirdo bloke with some item on their belt in a pouch, on public display, I think, what a bell end. However, I am secretly suppressing quite strong urges to do something similar myself.

Does anyone else similarly struggle in not arriving, for best man duties at a wedding, without wearing a fully multi-tooled up paracord belt replete with car keys and firesticks dangling from the trouser loops?

I partly blame Batman and Maguyver, in popular culture, for providing a perjorative shorthand for what society deems aberrant behaviour amongst men. Which is frustrating when I had half an Ironmongers secreted about my person long before Maguyver was up to his dubious tricks and if it wasn't for society's dim view a lot more of my multitool collection could be pressed into active service.

I have one, It's a leatherman copy, attached to my belt and never leaves my side.... I too, once was on the light side. Mocking and general pi$$taking of the leatherman brigade, but once you succumb to the dark side and embrace it. You will never, ever want for a tool again. If I could carry a gun. I would.

I also carry a knife.... at all times (I open a lot of boxes).

Maybe we could have a show me your weapon thread?

Ok, what has the Baggins got in its pockets..

This is what I have in my pockets everyday. At the moment there are two bigger size folding stanley blade knives whilst I'm deciding between the Milwaukhee Fastback 2 and the Irwin. I keep the smaller cheap no-brand one as well as it tucks away in a smaller pocket as back up. I have the Leatherman Micra on my keyring all the time and below the knives is a pocket torch that recharges in a lighter socket. Then a flicky stabby type Leatherman knife.

Presently I keep the Leatherman Kick in my trouser pocket and the larger Surge in my coat pocket and also the CRKT multi-tool with regular hex bit set and I keep the Leatherman flat bit sets, plus extension, to add greater choice as well in my coat (not pictured). These last three are frequently swapped out to other multi-tools in my collection due to either deciding another better serves current needs or one is sent away for warranty repairs.

pocket knives.jpg

I've obviously got the Leatherman Micra keyring back-up for most situations where I may get caught out without for the full normal complement but, I also have these in my wallet. Fisher space pens, one is normally in my pocket with the other a wallet back-up, Victorinox Swiss Card, bit grubby could do with replacing, has scissors knife tweezers usual Swiss Army type stuff. Little fold-up pliers multi-tool thing and a stainless steel credit card knife multi-tool thing.

Wallet.jpg

Having re-read this through I have realised I am actually much further on the spectrum than I thought.

Just found the turboflame and fire stick back-up in my coat pocket, can't be bothered to photo now:

turboflame-twins.jpg

post-17575-0-03141700-1422934139_thumb.jpg

post-17575-0-07128500-1422935386_thumb.jpg

Does anyone else similarly struggle in not arriving, for best man duties at a wedding, without wearing a fully multi-tooled up paracord belt replete with car keys and firesticks dangling from the trouser loops

I never fought it.

And fwiw the Victorinox multi tools are better designed, better built and often cheaper than Leathermans (Leathermans take the Mick with their UK pricing) and, with the exception of a few lesser and discontinued models, neither range is a legal EDC* in the UK because their knife blades, however teeny, lock open.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyday_carry

It's all a bit conspicuous is I think the problem. A bit like the pager and mobile phone on their belt wearers of the 90s.They look like the tools - rather than SWAT tactical. Brits like their status badges to be conventional and often a little more understated (although seeing the huge labels sometimes on display that last assertion might be a bit suspect). Are you regularly pulling out your leatherman to aid someone that it needs to be on display and in easy reach? Or is it mostly for show? This is why the emergency services and some trades can get away with tool belts and regular joe can't. Even then I notice most tradespeople will only put on a tool belt for a particular job i.e. climbing a ladder, not routinely wear it.

Like others, I regularly carry quite a few tools including a very sweet little folding saw in case I see some nice fire wood. It's often quite handy. I fantasise that one day I will do something heroic with it like remove a fallen tree from a road. But the one time I did move a fallen tree off a road, I was able to lift it just fine and get rid without my little saw. All my tools go in the rucksack/pockets though.

SNACR - from your follow up post I would say you have it quite bad. A back up knife, really? But if it makes you happy, who am I to judge?

Like others, I regularly carry quite a few tools including a very sweet little folding saw in case I see some nice fire wood. It's often quite handy.

I pack a six inch Silky Pocketboy in my possibilities bag.

As it happens it too is a sweet little folding saw but I suspect I really bought it for the name.

I pack a six inch Silky Pocketboy in my possibilities bag.

As it happens it too is a sweet little folding saw but I suspect I really bought it for the name.

I read that as "sweet little fondling saw". :unsure:

Ken Coar's belt is famous. I once saw him give a lightning talk on it, and you'd think the contents had to have come from a full-sized suitcase. Watch him and you'll see your belt in a whole new light.

It's all a bit conspicuous is I think the problem. A bit like the pager and mobile phone on their belt wearers of the 90s.They look like the tools - rather than SWAT tactical

A pager, phone or bluetooth headset or security badge shows you to be a corporate serf at the 24/7 beck and call of his master. As does a watch for that matter.

Ive only just plucked up courage to pop a pen in my top pocket before venturing out..but I open bottles with my teeth, if I cannot manage that I smash the bottle top off and pour it down my neck.. I also tear phone directories with my bear hands, so no need for pansy scissors.

Bum bags, dangling keys, in theory practical solutions; but the guys that seem to wear them tend to look like bull necked thugs. So it's not the solution that's the problem but the association of who wears them.

I've been doing the man bag thing now for a few years as opposed to the belt attachments. Initially got a few strange looks, now who doesn't have a man bag.

Guest eight

Ok, what has the Baggins got in its pockets..

This is what I have in my pockets everyday.

I think the legal term for this is "going equipped". What for? Anything.

Having re-read this through I have realised I am actually much further on the spectrum than I thought.

You haven't got a foldable spork?!

I think the legal term for this is "going equipped". What for? Anything.

Guerilla 5a fuse replacements out in the field, and such like.

Necessities (a key, a credit card and maybe a phone) fit comfortably in a single pocket. Clipping things to your belt is interpreted as an ostentation, but women don't see it as a wealth indicator so it's a poor lekking strategy, and is consequently mocked. In "the old days" a sword strapped to your belt probably was seen as desirable, but probably more for acting as a status symbol than as a weapon.

At the same time it is practical, and there's an inner child who always wanted a Batman utility belt.

As an allotment man I carry a 1950's carbon steel Girl Guides folding pocket knife for razor sharpness, and a Gleave and Sons Army Issue stainless locking clasp knife for robust work.

The Girl Guide issue knife has a marlinspike feature. I am thus equipped to tackle emergencies on both land and sea.

Both tools are kept very sharp. A blunt knife is as useless as tits on a bull.

I'd like to carry my Leatherman out and about but some lawyer convinced a judge that a lock knife should be treated the same as a sheath knife. So I risk having it confiscated by plod. Most unlikely as I'm an old fart but it has great sentimental value as her that gave it to me is no more. I keep meaning to get another for outside duty.

I carry a Swiss Army knife in a belt pouch. The problem with most muli-tool knives is that they have locking blades and are therefore not legal to carry without good reason under UK law. The law does not accept 'in case it comes in handy' as a good reason.

I carry a Swiss Army knife in a belt pouch. The problem with most muli-tool knives is that they have locking blades and are therefore not legal to carry without good reason under UK law. The law does not accept 'in case it comes in handy' as a good reason.

I don't understand this. Can you not fatally stab someone with a non-locking knife? Bizarre law.