House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Hundreds March Over Soaring Housing Costs

Hmm. Extreme left win in Greece. Extreme left in Spain gaining pace.

Perhaps a left field bet on Milliband. What are the bookies paying?!

200p - the EU-rocrats are trying to set these left-wingers as FASCISTS!! Funny though, when you actually look at what Fascism actually is (strong nation-state, return to indigenous art and culture, strength by sticking together (the fasces) etc) then they're not far wrong. The EU is turning out to be a very nasty, authoritarian communist (not real communist, more Stalinist) mafia and they're doing all the right things to spark off a European war.

I'm reading Catastrophe by Max Hastings at the moment and blimey is it opening my eyes.

Only one way to silence revolutionary, unemployed masses - give them something to do.. Like the French columns (yes Napoleonic-style columns) walking very slowly towards the German howitzers and Maxims at the un-remembered battle of Liege.

Anyone agree with me or am I a bit of a military history nerd?

Miliband may be many things but he is not the UK's answer to Alexis Tsipras. If the next 2008 happens on Miliband's watch he'll be signing cheques to the bankers faster than you can say "How much did you say you need this time?" The Greens are probably the closest thing the UK has to Syriza.

I found the interview funny. Brazilian girl says "I think this is a very expensive country because is one of the richest countries in the world, and the people comes here and suffer a lot because we don't have money to go and get ??? (did she she sports?) and to rent and its a very big problem because the government could do some laws to control the rents and do more social housing and their just do (don't) because they doesn't want to, they want to do it for the rich people but not the poor people."

With statements like that, I can see the problem! Still, if these idiots managed to get a party in that makes my rent cheaper and buy to let unattractive, then they have my full support! HA :P

Back to her statement;

Ok, If it's so expensive here, why are you still here? (I know that sounds a bit UKIP! I'm not a immigrant hater, my wife is an immigrant (as Mr Farage pointed out :P)) Coming from another country and being at least bilingual, I would have thought she would have more options than most? (If I was her and I was suffering a lot and in a position to leave, I definitely would, if it really is cheaper and better to live back in Brazil? Maybe not, so how are they suffering?)

So, was it cheap when she first arrived and now she doesn't want to leave because she has made a home here, found love, etc... Can she not see that because she and lots of others (including myself and my wife) wanted to come to London that increases demand and therefore rents.

The point about government changing laws is valid but why would they as they and their mates are making shed loads under the current system!

They seem to be completely missing the main thing pushing for higher rents and that is of course high house prices, greedy letting agents and LL's who don't care about renting because they make so much off forever HPI!

http://news.sky.com/story/1418862/hundreds-march-over-soaring-housing-costs

in London today. The young will eventually stand up for themselves.

If you told these people that if the government stopped borrowing 100 odd billion a year, and we had to balance the books literally overnight and then housing would become affordable theyd be marching against austerity.

As for the Brazilian complaining,well maybe if the 7 to 10 million immigrants who've some here in the last 10 years were to leave this would also solve the problem.

Edited by Samboy

I found the interview funny. Brazilian girl says "I think this is a very expensive country because is one of the richest countries in the world, and the people comes here and suffer a lot because we don't have money to go and get ??? (did she she sports?) and to rent and its a very big problem because the government could do some laws to control the rents and do more social housing and their just do (don't) because they doesn't want to, they want to do it for the rich people but not the poor people."

Sky have a babelfish it seems...

A young Brazilian worker named Clara told Sky News: "This is a very expensive country because it's one of the richest countries in the world and people come here and suffer a lot because we can't afford to get support and pay rent.

If I was her and I was suffering a lot and in a position to leave, I definitely would, if it really is cheaper and better to live back in Brazil? Maybe not, so how are they suffering?

The cost of living is pretty high in the big cities where the jobs are in Brazil. It's the same story everywhere really: capital has its foot on labour's throat.

Did anyone know this was happening in advance?

Yep. I suscribe to email updates from PricedOut. Cut and paste of what I received last week.

Dear XXXXX

For a group of people who are experiencing higher rents, poorer quality housing and the dream of home-ownership slip away, we're remarkably tame.

Well not any more! This month there are two chances to take to the street and with the general election looming, your voice is crucial.

Rent Freedom Day

Rent Freedom Day will make it impossible for MPs to ignore us. Private renters will descend on Parliament next Wednesday 4th February to meet their MPs and get commitments to reform housing so that those of us who don't own any are no longer second class citizens.

As well as a mass lobby of Parliament, we'll have housing spokespeople from each of the main parties debating the issues for the election, plus a series of workshops, talks and comedy. We're hosting a panel event on "Why are house prices so high?" and our first batch of campaigning goodies will be available, including posters and badges.

If you're fed up about housing, want to do something about it and can make it to London on 4th February, please sign up for free.

March for Homes

There's also a March for Homes this Saturday 31st January, which is being organised by a huge number of campaigns and is likely to pull a large crowd. We'll be taking our message of affordable and secure homes for all to City Hall under our new PricedOut banner. You can register here.

Volunteers

We are pleased to be starting two new local groups. One in Islington and one in Oxford, which will be supported by a paid organiser. If you want to get involved, however limited you time, drop us an email and we'll get back to you.

Coming up to the election, PricedOut are getting involved in a number of exciting projects, including a play about the moral dilemmas the housing crisis presents. If you'd like to lend a hand, let us know.

Hope to see you soon!

PricedOut team

http://www.pricedout.org.uk/

200p - the EU-rocrats are trying to set these left-wingers as FASCISTS!! Funny though, when you actually look at what Fascism actually is (strong nation-state, return to indigenous art and culture, strength by sticking together (the fasces) etc) then they're not far wrong. The EU is turning out to be a very nasty, authoritarian communist (not real communist, more Stalinist) mafia and they're doing all the right things to spark off a European war.

I'm reading Catastrophe by Max Hastings at the moment and blimey is it opening my eyes.

Only one way to silence revolutionary, unemployed masses - give them something to do.. Like the French columns (yes Napoleonic-style columns) walking very slowly towards the German howitzers and Maxims at the un-remembered battle of Liege.

Anyone agree with me or am I a bit of a military history nerd?

Yes, the only reason Communists hate Fascists is because they are competing for the same audience, they are cut from the same cloth.

A recent programme about the so called far right in the UK made me laugh. There were protests shown by various splinter groups from the BNP and they clashed against the ant-Nazi league. And OK the ANL people appeared slightly more ethnically diverse, but dig under the surface of the ex-BNP lot and they were actually quite ethnically diverse..

My take is that they are all just a bunch a losers who mostly want to have a free ride in life, claim benefits as much as possible, and are generally cut from the same slightly paranoid cloth. As far as I can tell the only difference is what they are paranoid about. In one case it is foreign people and in the other it is mostly corporations.

Name something, anything that would not be a waste of time...working hard to pay rent maybe?

don`t pay rent ,

but yes paying rent is a waste of time and money

don`t pay rent ,

but yes paying rent is a waste of time and money

Unless you're lucky enough to inherit a shedload of money the choice is to rent property or rent money from a bank - there are many advantages to the former.

swings and roundabouts , every house is different every area is different everyone`s life is different , everyone`s income is different.

what works for one does not always work for the other.

a few tossers moaning about house prices with a few banners is going to change feck all ,

tax 2nd homes more

tax overseas owners parking there cash here out of existence

tax btl , take away tax relief for them too

Edited by longgone

Miliband may be many things but he is not the UK's answer to Alexis Tsipras. If the next 2008 happens on Miliband's watch he'll be signing cheques to the bankers faster than you can say "How much did you say you need this time?" The Greens are probably the closest thing the UK has to Syriza.

TUSC is the closest party we have to Syriza and it will be standing over 100MPs and 1000 local councillors in the upcoming election. The media blackout of this anti-austerity party continues. - But this year it will have stood enough to receive 'fair' election coverage on the BBC.

With statements like that, I can see the problem! Still, if these idiots managed to get a party in that makes my rent cheaper and buy to let unattractive, then they have my full support! HA :P

Back to her statement;

Ok, If it's so expensive here, why are you still here? (I know that sounds a bit UKIP! I'm not a immigrant hater, my wife is an immigrant (as Mr Farage pointed out :P)) Coming from another country and being at least bilingual, I would have thought she would have more options than most? (If I was her and I was suffering a lot and in a position to leave, I definitely would, if it really is cheaper and better to live back in Brazil? Maybe not, so how are they suffering?)

So, was it cheap when she first arrived and now she doesn't want to leave because she has made a home here, found love, etc... Can she not see that because she and lots of others (including myself and my wife) wanted to come to London that increases demand and therefore rents.

The point about government changing laws is valid but why would they as they and their mates are making shed loads under the current system!

They seem to be completely missing the main thing pushing for higher rents and that is of course high house prices, greedy letting agents and LL's who don't care about renting because they make so much off forever HPI!

Its not laws that need changing, its Government subsidies that need changing.

The moment Government add a payment that many people will get, the price goes up. You see it in education, rents, forebearance, low pay.

TUSC is the closest party we have to Syriza and it will be standing over 100MPs and 1000 local councillors in the upcoming election. The media blackout of this anti-austerity party continues. - But this year it will have stood enough to receive 'fair' election coverage on the BBC.

anti austerity party?

I think you mean the "we will not be paying bankers for debts they signed us on to and now cant pay" party.

I went on this march.

You can call it a waste of time all you like but what's the alternative? Sit and do nothing? Post another 100 comments on news sites?

There were a lot more people than I was expecting. A lot of different groups - people in council housing, in social housing, in private rental. A bunch of anti-'bedroom tax' campaigners. Not everyone agreed with each other, and I didn't agree with all the speakers. But basically all of us were there for the same reason - victims of expensive housing, serfs to unchecked landlords, living with the threat of homelessness, and subject to a government that is more interested in speculation than in living standards.

There were the usual left-wing 'get rid of the evil Tories at all costs' types, but a bunch of people also blamed Labour. 'Evict Labour!' was one cry, before the march.

One guy had a '****** Foxtons' banner, which was quite popular.

We even had a NIMBY speak before the march - wanting to veto two new tower blocks. Though even he had a point that at 1 million + per flat London developments only benefit billionaires.

It's taken a long time for people to wake up to the problem, but I think its encouraging that finally some of the frustration and anger is spilling over into action.

Well done for going on the march, I say.

If a government changed some of the tax advantages to BTL I think this would be helpful.

It should be made less favourable to BTL (doesn't create anything useful for the economy) and more favourable to invest in companies (helps the real economy).

I don't think anyone need be loony left or anti Tory to see this.

I went on this march.

You can call it a waste of time all you like but what's the alternative? Sit and do nothing? Post another 100 comments on news sites?

There were a lot more people than I was expecting. A lot of different groups - people in council housing, in social housing, in private rental. A bunch of anti-'bedroom tax' campaigners. Not everyone agreed with each other, and I didn't agree with all the speakers. But basically all of us were there for the same reason - victims of expensive housing, serfs to unchecked landlords, living with the threat of homelessness, and subject to a government that is more interested in speculation than in living standards.

There were the usual left-wing 'get rid of the evil Tories at all costs' types, but a bunch of people also blamed Labour. 'Evict Labour!' was one cry, before the march.

One guy had a '****** Foxtons' banner, which was quite popular.

We even had a NIMBY speak before the march - wanting to veto two new tower blocks. Though even he had a point that at 1 million + per flat London developments only benefit billionaires.

It's taken a long time for people to wake up to the problem, but I think its encouraging that finally some of the frustration and anger is spilling over into action.

Well done.

Next time..tell the rest of us and we might come too.