House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Tulip Fever - The Film

New British film currently in post-production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_Fever

A 17th century romance in which an artist (played by Dane DeHaan) falls for a married young woman (Alicia Vikander) while he's commissioned to paint her portrait by her husband (Christoph Waltz). The two invest in the risky tulip market in hopes to build a future together.

Re-titled for all "bubble-deniers"

Wow - and if the film is huge hit it might re-ignite the tulip market and tulip investors might get back the money they invested 378 years ago from the tulips they have diligently passed down the family line and which have been planted, dug up, left to dry and replanted again for hundreds of year. Only these canny investors know their true value.

Some other bubbles and some charts - including the tulip bubble.

http://

www.thebubblebubble.com/historic-crashes/

By the peak of tulipmania in February of 1637, a single tulip bulb was worth about ten times a craftsman’s annual income and a single Viceroy tulip bulb was allegedly exchanged for the following goods (The Tulipomania, n.d):

Edited by billybong

Wow - and if the film is huge hit it might re-ignite the tulip market and tulip investors might get back the money they invested 378 years ago from the tulips they have diligently passed down the family line and which have been planted, dug up, left to dry and replanted again for hundreds of year. Only these canny investors know their true value.

My grandad ate our family stash thinking they were shallots...

New British film currently in post-production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_Fever

Will the sheeple make the connection to the property market? (yes,yes I know, you can`t live in a tulip or rent it out, or paint it any colour you like, but the mania driven prices are similar)

Edited by dances with sheeple

Walnuts

Walnuts were used as toys in China's imperial courts as early as 220AD, but were championed by officials during the Qing Dynasty (1644-1912) and have been a status symbol exchanged among the country's elite ever since.
Demand has grown alongside China's economic boom, and vendors say they are especially popular among the newly wealthy and gangsters profiting from Beijing's grey economy.
Years of rising prices have transformed the lives of farmers in Laishui county, a few hours from the capital.
Just a decade ago, Li and his neighbours ploughed a hard-scrabble existence growing wheat and corn, but now take regular holidays from their mountainside village and own imported cars, as well as apartments in a nearby city.
Li once sold a prized pair for 160,000 yuan, but added: "Even a relatively ordinary pair of walnuts can be more expensive than gold, in terms of weight."
"We are all grateful for the huge changes the walnuts have brought us. All of our development depends on them," said Li, who says he harvests up to 2 million yuan (US$325,000) a year from his nuts.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Business-News/2014/10/14/Money-grows-on-trees-with-great-walnuts-of-China/?style=biz

Will the sheeple make the connection to the property market?

If my other half mentions the obvious in their press review (I'm working on it) then, hopefully yes. I'm reliably told it's extremely well written (Tom Stoppard is an excellent script writer), great cast, and should be a big box office release. None of this straight to DVD nonsense.

No surprise then that the UK supermarkets have all sold out of walnuts.

http://

www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Nuts_And_Seeds/ASDA_Walnuts_in_Shell_350g.html

They'll be queuing round the block for them next.

Edited by billybong

If my other half mentions the obvious in their press review (I'm working on it) then, hopefully yes. I'm reliably told it's extremely well written (Tom Stoppard is an excellent script writer), great cast, and should be a big box office release. None of this straight to DVD nonsense.

They should write in a scene at the end where the main characters descendants get caught out in the BTL bubble, maybe they had loans from West Bromwich BS or something....

I read somewhere* that the tulip bubble is a bit of a myth; very few bulbs actually changed hands, what blew up was a nascent tulip bulb futures market, and the high prices often quoted in historian's narratives are all based on one or two documents of dubious provenance.

A few people lost their shirts (and mansions) but the craze wasn't as big as we are led to believe.

*Reference: Somewhere on teh Interwebs. I can't be аrsed to find it now. Feel free to use Google.

Edited by happy_renting

Just a decade ago, Li and his neighbours ploughed a hard-scrabble existence growing wheat and corn, but now take regular holidays from their mountainside village and own imported cars, as well as apartments in a nearby city.

Hard? I bet Chinese Scrabble is ****ing inpossible

I think a film on the history of Chinese ponzi schemes would be worth a watch. The ant farm one always sticks in my memory

http://www.nysun.com/foreign/in-china-a-million-fall-for-ant-farm-ponzi-scheme/69460/

In most cases, authorities moved in only to clean up the wreckage. On December 21, the official New China News Agency reported that authorities cracked down on 3,747 in the first 11 months of 2007.

.........After more than four decades of backbreaking work tilling the soil, Li Fanghai, 62, and his wife had managed to save $11,000, which they invested in ant farming.

These ants were far more than uninvited picnic guests, the couple were told. When ground into a powder, they become an aphrodisiac, a kidney purifier, and general cure-all, the Yilishen Tianxi Group declared. The ants would earn them a 30% annual return.

In reality, critics say the ants apparently were little more than the bait for a vast pyramid scheme. Over an eight-year period, the company recruited as many as one million would-be ant farmers, collecting about $1.2 billion. In mid-December, it filed for bankruptcy.

Instead of siding with Yilishen's victims — mostly poor farmers, construction workers, and the unemployed — the government has blocked Internet postings and ordered reporters off the story, ant farmers say. Attorneys in the nation's capital have been discouraged from representing any of them, according to the Web site of the Beijing Municipal Lawyers Association.

Most of the victims say they invested with Yilishen because of its close ties with the government and endorsements by prominent officials. Company officials frequently appeared with senior government officials.

The company advertised extensively on state television and received a hard-to-get marketing permit.

But it apparently was only one in a spate of risky investment schemes.

More recently

http://www.shanghaidaily.com/article/article_xinhua.aspx?id=238947

The campaign, carried out by the SAIC, the Ministry of Public Security and other authorities from March to July, cracked 1,446 pyramid schemes involving 3.7 billion yuan (606.8 million U.S. dollars).