House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

Ridiculous Data Collection At The Dentist

This can't be just at mine. For a normal check-up there is a four page form listing all manner of ailments, your racial identity (I picked, as ever, do not identify), and how much you drink or smoke each week. This isn't their own form, it's a standardised NHS form.

There is a running tracker on one page to get updated on subsequent visits where your drinking or smoking habits have changed.

This is, as per title, at the sodding dentist. Why do they need to know how much I smoke or drink and what my ethnicity is?

Of course I didn't tell them, but many people feel obliged to do so.

We've had a similar experience; Mrs EC is a teacher. She has been asked to complete a form (in addition to the normal CRB check) which asks is "you have ever attended court with, or lived with, a child that is or (has been) subject to a court protection order".

Our daughter is adopted so, yes, we have been to court with, and lived with, a child that is subject to a court protection order.

Panic ensues - the Head of the school realises that it's nut's but my wife is not supposed to be allowed to teach because she has ticked the "yes" box (another couple of teachers in the school are also caught as they either foster or have adopted).

We offered up the adoption certificate to try to prove our bona fides but the Local Government paper-pushers are demanding to see the full record of the court proceedings. We have refused as these contain private information as to our daughters background that she is not yet herself aware of including her birth name and the reasons for the adoption (these are contained in a sealed envelope for her to open when we judge she is ready to take the information on board). It's currently a stand off with the Head telling Mrs EC to "sit on the form and don't give it to me".

The biggest joke is that this is the same local authority who handled the adoption process for our daughter.........

My mate does not really like his neighbours much .... he regularly changes his wi-fi for the evening to something like "TV detector van" or "MI5 Surveillance Unit".

This can't be just at mine. For a normal check-up there is a four page form listing all manner of ailments, your racial identity (I picked, as ever, do not identify), and how much you drink or smoke each week. This isn't their own form, it's a standardised NHS form.

There is a running tracker on one page to get updated on subsequent visits where your drinking or smoking habits have changed.

This is, as per title, at the sodding dentist. Why do they need to know how much I smoke or drink and what my ethnicity is?

Does my head in. I was watching an episode of 24 hrs in A & E and a walk in patient who'd stubbed their toe, or something equally as minor, was being asked loads of questions including drinking habits etc. The time it took for the nurse to go through it was ridiculous. I hate this constant prying and record keeping.

On a similar note when my son was in High school they'd get the kids filling in all sorts of nonsense. Knowing how much I objected to this interference he would always fill it in randomly under the name of SpongeBob Squarepants.

We've had a similar experience; Mrs EC is a teacher. She has been asked to complete a form (in addition to the normal CRB check) which asks is "you have ever attended court with, or lived with, a child that is or (has been) subject to a court protection order".

Our daughter is adopted so, yes, we have been to court with, and lived with, a child that is subject to a court protection order.

Panic ensues - the Head of the school realises that it's nut's but my wife is not supposed to be allowed to teach because she has ticked the "yes" box (another couple of teachers in the school are also caught as they either foster or have adopted).

We offered up the adoption certificate to try to prove our bona fides but the Local Government paper-pushers are demanding to see the full record of the court proceedings. We have refused as these contain private information as to our daughters background that she is not yet herself aware of including her birth name and the reasons for the adoption (these are contained in a sealed envelope for her to open when we judge she is ready to take the information on board). It's currently a stand off with the Head telling Mrs EC to "sit on the form and don't give it to me".

The biggest joke is that this is the same local authority who handled the adoption process for our daughter.........

A serious point; it shows that Chinese walls within local authroities, in place for a reason, have worked in this case.

The real problem is the systemic c*ckup which fails to allow for foster parent's circumstances. Sounds like the authority is to up itself to address the source of the problem, badly designed rules.

My mate does not really like his neighbours much .... he regularly changes his wi-fi for the evening to something like "TV detector van" or "MI5 Surveillance Unit".

I do something similar. It's named 'GCHQ monitor 27'

Or something like that ;)

Well if they didn't gather data for a database about you, there would have been no point sneaking that RFID chip into your tooth filling, would there?

Data collection generally is getting more obtuse and irritating....buying a bottle of water, they want to scan boarding pass......what is that all about?

AL-QAEDA CELL 392

That's weird!

Funny this should be brought up. I went to a new dentist this week looking to enrol and I was given one of these forms with the 'questionnaire.' It seems to be three pages of information you go through - with your denist. There is a box for him/her to initial.

It is the sign of an engorged state needing things to do.

Does my head in. I was watching an episode of 24 hrs in A & E and a walk in patient who'd stubbed their toe, or something equally as minor, was being asked loads of questions including drinking habits etc. The time it took for the nurse to go through it was ridiculous. I hate this constant prying and record keeping.

On a similar note when my son was in High school they'd get the kids filling in all sorts of nonsense. Knowing how much I objected to this interference he would always fill it in randomly under the name of SpongeBob Squarepants.

Marvellous! You could always claim to live in a big pineapple at Bikini Bottom! :wacko:

It is the sign of an engorged state needing things to do.

I think it is! They have fuc'ked up everything else in this country, and are now looking for a new opportunity to do more of the same. It's benign yes, but somehow strangely threatening....

You will regret being so uncooperative when one day your body is dredged from a canal and they can't identify your body from your dental records because you haven't said what ethnic group you are and how much alcohol you have per week.

You will regret being so uncooperative when one day your body is dredged from a canal and they can't identify your body from your dental records because you haven't said what ethnic group you are and how much alcohol you have per week.

:lol:

But they will. Some poor sod will be pulled out and they will say he drank loads and smoked like a train.... so he deserved it! If he didn't drink and smoke so much he would probably be alive, to this day!

Marvellous! You could always claim to live in a big pineapple at Bikini Bottom! :wacko:

'Tis true Mr P.

To continue my rant (just need to vent about this):

My wife came home today and told me that the head has been instructed to suspend her until we provide the documents they have asked for (this would go on my wifes employments records and is not good). To her credit the Head has refused to do this, believing as we do that this is an invasion of our daughters privacy and not justified.

My wife had attached a letter to the form explaining why she has had to answer "yes" to the offending question and providing them with the contact details of the social worker who can confirm that we were both investigated in depth prior to the adoption (meaning that no issues were found). This does not do the trick apparently.

Strikes be that whoever wrote the form has dropped a clanger as is not prepared to put things right (which would be ludicrously easy).

On top of the privacy issues it's not escaped my notice that I'm paying for this whole fiasco through my council tax!

Rant over.....

:lol:

I might just nick that idea. For the 4g device that I use for travel. Anyone for AllahuAkbar wifi at the airport?

That one might be worth taking to the press. Maybe even the national press: anything from the BBC to the Torygraph? Find a journo who shares your views of this nonsense without being a raving daily-mail nut, and they might be able to hit hard at the idiocy while preserving your daughter's (and by implication, your) anonymity.

That one might be worth taking to the press. Maybe even the national press: anything from the BBC to the Torygraph? Find a journo who shares your views of this nonsense without being a raving daily-mail nut, and they might be able to hit hard at the idiocy while preserving your daughter's (and by implication, your) anonymity.

EC should raise the matter with his MP. And opposition candidate, if appropriate.

I hope that my dentist is interested in periodontal disease and oral cancer as well as potential causes of them, such as smoking and drinking.

You lot have got your tin-foil hats screwed on too tight.

I hope that my dentist is interested in periodontal disease and oral cancer as well as potential causes of them, such as smoking and drinking.

You lot have got your tin-foil hats screwed on too tight.

My dentist just asks and we chat. And she usually says something along the lines of "I don't need to tell you to stop smoking, but it will help you know".

No state run computers recording my ethnicity involved at all.

Tinfoil hats (of the minor, "unnecessary data collation & some civil servant somewhere is career building" type) are perfectly appropriate headgear in this instance.