House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vested Disinterest

Luxury Car Rental And Credit Cards

Some colleagues and I (all over 30) wanted to rent a moderately flashy car for the day and the company put up so many barriers we didn't bother. The high upfront deposit was understandable but requiring TWO credit cards and only accepting credit cards seems the strangest to me. I've rented loads of cars with just a debit card, my driving licence and a proof of address.

Some colleagues and I (all over 30) wanted to rent a moderately flashy car for the day and the company put up so many barriers we didn't bother. The high upfront deposit was understandable but requiring TWO credit cards and only accepting credit cards seems the strangest to me. I've rented loads of cars with just a debit card, my driving licence and a proof of address.

How much is the car worth if you've managed to rob it?

If you owned a "moderately flashy" car, would you let strangers borrow it?

They're easy to damage, expensive to repair and any pen1s with a driving licence has a credit card but few will be able to cover their bill with their available credit.

A lot of car hire places only take credit cards. This is because they pre-authorise your card for the damage excess + other possible costs. This guarantees that the money is available for them if required later.

This can be done with debit cards, but it can be awkward for customers if they find that £1k of their current account has been frozen for 6 weeks.

How much is the car worth if you've managed to rob it?

If you rob it then they used the details on the driving licence, bank details and proof of address to take to the police. Two credit cards isn't going to be any more secure in that regard than one.

If it's a decent then it's unlikely the two credit cards will have enough credit to cover the expense and regardless the car will be insured.

How "moderately flashy" was it?