House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gigantic Purple Slug

Efficiency

I'm sure the guy is talented but don't the more modern microprocessors have richer instruction sets? i.e. much easier to shorten the code

I'm sure the guy is talented but don't the more modern microprocessors have richer instruction sets? i.e. much easier to shorten the code

Not really. Z80 and x86 both evolved from the same CPU (8080, I think?) so they have similarly complex instructions... plus, the modern software has a lot more operating system crap to deal with.

The more complex x86 instructions are pretty much deprecated now, anyway. I believe they're typically implemented in microcode rather than being processed as single instructions inside the CPU, so they still work, but are probably slower than writing the same set of instructions yourself.

Not really. Z80 and x86 both evolved from the same CPU (8080, I think?) so they have similarly complex instructions... plus, the modern software has a lot more operating system crap to deal with.

The more complex x86 instructions are pretty much deprecated now, anyway. I believe they're typically implemented in microcode rather than being processed as single instructions inside the CPU, so they still work, but are probably slower than writing the same set of instructions yourself.

Hmm...forgive me but I'm not convinced. I just looked up the development of the 80x86 instruction set and there are there are absolutely tons of new instructions all to do with data structures, condition checks, variables and loops since those early processors. Like-for-like comparison would be better rather than using a modern computer which it looks like it might be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_instruction_listings

Does it matter if they are in microcode? That's still gonna reduce the software size if it's already done in microcode. If you were making the smallest code, you wouldn't re-write what's already in the microcode.

Not rubbishing this guy, he's clearly excellent at optimising code.

Actually I thought that "pretty cool". :)