House Price Crash Forum
SE10

The Strange Death Of Nimby England

Good find, and hugely encouraging,

The shift change here is too large to be dismissed. It’s hard to reach any conclusion than the obvious: as people have started to worry more about symptoms of the housing shortage (a generation priced out, high rents, overcrowding), they have accepted the need for the solution – building more homes – even in their local area. The failure of a generation of short-cut solutions and gimmicks has probably helped things along the way. That might also explain why Help to Buy, for instance, fares so poorly in polling compared to housebuilding solutions.

Is this something you stumbled across or something that was publicised? As one of the comments pointed out, it certainly deserves a PR push!

...they can say all that, until they are built in the field opposite them, or next door....In my area, the local paper is littered with Nimbys...the latest excuse with one of the developments, is that one of the fields contains Anthrax, which it doesn't...

Edited by Dave Beans

Good find, and hugely encouraging,

Is this something you stumbled across or something that was publicised? As one of the comments pointed out, it certainly deserves a PR push!

A lib dem activist sent it to "yes to homes", who tweeted it. At this time it has a grand total of 6 retweets, including me.

The tweet in question.

Edited to remove double quote.

Edited by SE10

Wow. Look at the change in UKIP especially.

From the most opposed to the least opposed.

Must be all the new members or something.

Although, their policy is to have a referendum on certain planning issues, if 5% of the local population demand it..

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1295281/ukip-reaches-nimbys-local-vote

or something, look at how the 55-64 and 65+ (which according to yougov covers the core UKIP vote) have changed from being the most opposed to being broadly supportive. Oh and not forgetting how every demographic supports building.

The 45-55 group needs to take a hard look at itself, but then again they probably are those who benefited from low prices in the 90's, have mortgaged themselves to the max to buy their current home (right school catchment area etc).

By-age-2010-to-2013jpg.jpg

Edited by olde guto

Shock horror NIBYS relise why they can`t get rid of their kids

I am waiting to for the kids to refuse to pay the pensions of the nimbys.

I personally am fed up of forking out tens of thousands a year so old people can have the haemerroids done, and to keep fat chavs in Barnsley fed up with chips.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Shock horror NIBYS relise why they can`t get rid of their kids

Well they can. But since kids need an onerous joint mortgage, that means the ageing NIMBYs have to raise the grandkids for them

Anecdotal evidence: I remember attending a local planning enquiry in 2011 (I think) full of angry (mostly elderly) people protesting about a planned housing development. The atmosphere was very hostile to the council who essentially admitted that there was very little that can be done to deny the application. All the usual arguments - strain on infrastructure, increased traffic, danger to kids playing in the street from all the diggers/construction lorries etc I remember being barracked by some of the residents, and even a local (independent) councilor as I left the meeting for having dared to voice my approval for the scheme as a local priced-out renter.

However, recently much of this NIMBYism seems to have evaporated - loads of new developments seem to be getting the green light with minimal fuss. Even politicians seem to be in favour of building lots of housing and reforming planning rules. It's all left me wondering what on earth is going on! Almost like I have woken up in a parallel universe. Quite surreal.

Really feels like sentiment has changed imeasurably since 2010/2011!

Anecdotal evidence: I remember attending a local planning enquiry in 2011 (I think) full of angry (mostly elderly) people protesting about a planned housing development. The atmosphere was very hostile to the council who essentially admitted that there was very little that can be done to deny the application. All the usual arguments - strain on infrastructure, increased traffic, danger to kids playing in the street from all the diggers/construction lorries etc I remember being barracked by some of the residents, and even a local (independent) councilor as I left the meeting for having dared to voice my approval for the scheme as a local priced-out renter.

However, recently much of this NIMBYism seems to have evaporated - loads of new developments seem to be getting the green light with minimal fuss. Even politicians seem to be in favour of building lots of housing and reforming planning rules. It's all left me wondering what on earth is going on! Almost like I have woken up in a parallel universe. Quite surreal.

Really feels like sentiment has changed imeasurably since 2010/2011!

Perhaps they realise that they can now put their pension pot into pwoperty...

They've swallowed a big chunk of BNP (including would-be BNP who were put off by the stigma), adding the poor and disenfranchised to the overprivileged original support base. That's how they're getting a foothold in Labour areas, and not least those that may have more to gain than to lose.

They've swallowed a big chunk of BNP (including would-be BNP who were put off by the stigma), adding the poor and disenfranchised to the overprivileged original support base. That's how they're getting a foothold in Labour areas, and not least those that may have more to gain than to lose.

So nothing at all to do with housing building supporters outnumbering those opposed for every single age group then (which is what the survey also showed)?

:rolleyes:

It obvious we need to build more housing and quickly, anyone who opposes this is either an idiot or has no understanding outside of their own selfish desires. It's encouraging to see that the majority of people are not idiots, at least on this subject. The problem is the governments won't do anything like the huge building projects we need unless they can get something out of it themselves, lets hope that this type of information trickles down to them and they realise building is a vote winner, but lets hope these are a mix of home types for all, not just the awful rabbit hutch new builds we are being forced to put up with lately.

I wonder if the change of sentiment is because new developments HAVE been taking place and the roof clearly hasn't fallen in, so the previous scaremongering is invalidated

I can only hope it was a painful death.

I'm surprised to see so many under 45s against building, everyone in this age group is either priced out or has a significant number of friends who are.

I can only hope it was a painful death.

I'm surprised to see so many under 45s against building, everyone in this age group is either priced out or has a significant number of friends who are.

Or lives with their NIMBY parents and reflect their values

Surely theyll be the ones more for building as at least they can save towards a house.

Although, their policy is to have a referendum on certain planning issues, if 5% of the local population demand it..

http://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1295281/ukip-reaches-nimbys-local-vote

That could harm nimbyism or help it. At the moment if 10% of the population in an area say I will never vote for this council if X development happens the politicians might listen to them (because hatred is always stronger than gratitude) but with a referendum the council will not be 'guilty' so can "get away" with more development.

The young British aren't employed in the bulding industry in the number they once were any longer as NuLabour and the Tory party imported cheap labour to replace them, maybe if they worked in the industry they'd be more supportive of it.

Surely theyll be the ones more for building as at least they can save towards a house.

I wish

Psychology isn't always so simple I find

That could harm nimbyism or help it. At the moment if 10% of the population in an area say I will never vote for this council if X development happens the politicians might listen to them (because hatred is always stronger than gratitude) but with a referendum the council will not be 'guilty' so can "get away" with more development.

I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult for the "grey army" in an area to get a few hundred signed up to some petition, and force a referendum...they'd be the only ones that had the time to vote on such matters too..

I'm all for new housing but it does need to be planned properly. My local council is currently pushing through (very heavy handedly) planning permission for over 1200 new houses to be built in my town and adjacent village over the next 5 years. No new schools or doctor surgeries are included in the plan. Nor any new transport routes. The local roads and schools are already at capacity and this will simply make things worse. Plus 500 of the houses are to be built on the flood plane. Crazy!

IMO, a much better plan would be to create a whole new town. I'm no planning expert, but building a new town just five miles away with direct access to the existing dual carriage way would be a much more sensible solution. The new town could have it's own schools, doctors and shops. With only 3% of the country dedicated to residential buildings it seems crazy that such an idea is so taboo.

Do these views make me a NIMBY or are they rational concerns?

Edited by PaulParanoia