House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ril

My Offer Refused

Just offered 175k on a £250k house (30% off) in bristol, and they refused, but did drop to £220K straight away (12% off), so not bad going so far, i'm in no hurry and they have already bought an other house and I have no chain!! I'll wait and see what happens I am not raising my offer. How long do you think it will take to crack them? (they are downsizing)

ril

Edited by ril

Just offered 175k on a £250k house (30% off) in bristol, and they refused, but did drop to £220K straight away (12% off), so not bad going so far, i'm in no hurry and they have already bought an other house and I have no chain!! I'll wait and see what happens I am not raising my offer. How long do you think it will take to crack them? (they are downsizing)

ril

I reckon what with your offer and teddy boy`s mentioned yesterday we should have a separate pinned thread or section for how low can you go :rolleyes: Good to see these kind of offers, but do you really think anyone is going to bite?

I reckon what with your offer and teddy boy`s mentioned yesterday we should have a separate pinned thread or section for how low can you go :rolleyes: Good to see these kind of offers, but do you really think anyone is going to bite?

Quite right. I've made silly offers and although I can get some money off, nothing that seems worth buying into a falling market.

I dont know the full facts, so dont shoot me down, but this is the situation as I see it.

The house in question is being sold by a solictor who is looking after the estate of the owner. He is in a nursing home and paying £500pw. Apparently he has to pay the fees because he owns an asset (why this is not part of the NHS I dont know - he has an illness FGS). This is being paid out of his savings, and has done for 9 months - That's £4,500 to-date.

House has now been empty for more than 6 months so they are accountable for council tax payments (reduced I believe). This, added to Nursing Home costs, make me believe that they need to sell soon as the house is costing them about £550p.c.m. to not sell.

When all is money runs out, apparently the government then pay for his upkeep. So it does not matter to them whether they get £100 or £100,000 - he will still get cared for.

The sellers agree that house prices are 'scandalous' and they are just trying to get the best price possible for their client. Which I commend them for. I have approached the sale as discreditting the EA's valuations. I have used a lot of information taken from this site and the blogs to support my claims and discredit the EA's valuation. I have also touched on the fact that if the market is as strong as the EA's are saying, which was judged in their valuation, then why has it not sold? A house is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, if I am the only one offering then that is what it is worth <period>

I expect an answer before the new year. I will keep you posted.

TB

NOTE TO ALL: It is important that people BUY at massively reduced prices. This will FORCE the market down. I am only offering on this property because of locale and I believe it is a fair price. I have also factored-in the continued drop in the market.

Edited by teddyboy

Ril, You have no chain, they have bought another house.

IMHO - Stick to your guns.

The way the market is going nobody is going to make any capital gains for a good 5 years or more if they buy now (I am referring to a house to live in not a BTL).

Therefore only buy what you can afford to pay and only buy somewhere that you really want to live in for a good long while.

Good luck

By the way - prices falling round here as well now

Edited by paradox

I had an offer refused today too - £300 on a house on at £320k

I actually don't want the house particularly - well I'd take it off their hands for £270 but I want to see if we get called in a few months by the EA.

The vendors are exchanging on their new house this month so we'll see.

i get offers refused all the time. two thns week from the girls at the asda checkout, who were giving me the eye after they spotted by roasted parsnips nestling in the bottom of my basket.

i was busy explaining to the checkout girl that i would always present them amidst a bed of grated horseradish, and would she care to join me in my inventing shed for a contemporary eating experience. anyway, she called her mate penny over and i though for a second i was 'well in', but as it turned out this tart was her sister and they were both affiliated men haters from norwich.

i fled the scene.