House Price Crash Forum
iamnumerate

Sharing A Room With A Stranger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-31003505

Five ways to survive sharing a bedroom with strangers_67899670_pc.gifMagazine Monitor A collection of cultural artefacts
_80550220_room_thinkstock.jpg

London tenants are increasingly sharing bedrooms, reports suggest. Clare Spencer, who rented a room along with two other people she didn't know for three months, offers her coping strategies.

1. Stay out until bedtime

I was studying all day then went straight to my bar job in the evening. So I didn't get back to the room in south London until midnight, at which point I went straight to bed. When I woke up, I went straight to the bathroom and then I was out. You're all there because you can't afford anything else so the room is for sleeping purposes only. This was 2005, and we didn't have smartphones, so the glare of the screen in the darkness was not the problem it might be now. I was also lucky that neither of my room-mates - a French guy and a Japanese girl - snored. I'm starting to wonder whether I was the snorer.

2. Get changed in the bathroom

I never saw the other two getting changed and they never saw me getting changed. Having since stayed in backpacker hostels, where you share a room with up to 12 people, I've learned that some people just learn to shed their inhibitions. But the bathroom worked better for me.

3. Stay at your partner's house

No-one ever brought their partner back to stay. I never met the French guy's girlfriend, who was apparently not too happy that he was sharing a room with two women. It was a bit of a downer when my boyfriend dumped me. My room-mates were very sympathetic though.

4. De-clutter

If you don't have stuff then you can't be messy. Not that I could afford to buy anything once my £200-a-month rent was paid. That was why I was sharing a room with strangers in the first place.

5. Don't do it for long

This was a short-term solution and I don't know if I could have kept my spirits up for much longer. I was also incredibly lucky with my two considerate room-mates. My last night showed how things could have gone wrong. Another guy moved in. He smoked in the room and played hardcore techno. The Japanese girl quite liked it. I scowled and left the next day.

Subscribe to the BBC News Magazine's email newsletter to get articles sent to your inbox.

More on This Story

A depressing story.

Strange clingy people welcome room sharing

gurn425.jpg

THE trend for sharing a rented room with a complete stranger has been welcomed by people who have no friends due to their weird personalities.

Soaring London rents are enabling thousands of social misfits to experience something that loosely resembles friendship for the first time.

Retail worker Wayne Hayes said: “After a lifetime of being shunned by other humans, being forced to share a room with someone is like all the most heartwarming bits of Friends rolled into one.

“I knew I was going to be best mates with my ‘roomie’ Pete when he didn’t immediately edge away from my mad staring eyes and deeply intrusive questions about his girlfriend’s sexual preferences.

“He’s been working really late every night this week so I’m going to surprise him when he gets in with a piping hot glass of Vimto and one of my famous sloppy liver-burgers.

“I’ve already got the Star Wars Risk board set up.”

Unemployed pet beautician Nikki Hollis said: “My new roommate Gemma is so nice I can’t resist stroking her hair while she sleeps, which is probably the sort of thing friends do.

“However I’m not happy about her spending so much time with her other friends who I think are a negative influence, so I might have to kill them.”

A spokesman for the Association of British Landlords said it would be looking into the problem then deciding it was fine as long as they continued to get money.

I've never met Scarlett Johanasen or Megan Fox.

I'm more than ready for sharing - bedroom, bath and bodily fluids.

Why the fck go to London if you cannot afford it for fckself?

Trouble is I think a room of your own in the big city runs to around £500/month nowadays. There has always been a sub-culture of Australians/New Zealanders/South Africans sharing rooms as it keeps costs down and meant you could live in somewhere like South Kensington for £40/week. I knew one guy who's bed was the bath. I briefly considered sharing when I first moved to London (sucked in by the attractive rent) - but if you are in any way introvert and need time on your own then a 3BR house with a dozen or so people living in it and sharing bedrooms is probably not for you.

I did live in shared houses with 6-8 people in - but at least I always had my own room. A house share that big is quite nice in a way as you always have someone to chat to/go out with. At one time we had a really good crowd. One guy would leave his room open so you could surf the net, while I would leave mine open so others could watch DVDs (this was around 2001 btw).

Trouble is I think a room of your own in the big city runs to around £500/month nowadays. There has always been a sub-culture of Australians/New Zealanders/South Africans sharing rooms as it keeps costs down and meant you could live in somewhere like South Kensington for £40/week. I knew one guy who's bed was the bath. I briefly considered sharing when I first moved to London (sucked in by the attractive rent) - but if you are in any way introvert and need time on your own then a 3BR house with a dozen or so people living in it and sharing bedrooms is probably not for you.

I did live in shared houses with 6-8 people in - but at least I always had my own room. A house share that big is quite nice in a way as you always have someone to chat to/go out with. At one time we had a really good crowd. One guy would leave his room open so you could surf the net, while I would leave mine open so others could watch DVDs (this was around 2001 btw).

Shared housing is a good, cheap way to get you going in a new area.

I think social housing should be made shared.

Get the doley's and single parents slumming it.

A society that taxes a young person, who pays tax whilst subbing some old (or young) person to sit on the ass, doing nothing is fcked.

I would hate sharing a room, but do echo it can be great fun! I rented in an old victorian house, so had a sofa in my room - it was the chill out room where we watched DVDs etc. Ok for your 20s, but not 30s... so I bought a place*

*Well I was waiting for the HPC!

Shared rooms, bah, what next. Shared Beds. They did that on submarines. One wakes up, and the next person sleeps in the same bed.

The Landlords dream. Now that would be efficient use of "space".

Don't prisoners have to share cells....rent, food and living costs included? ;)

Only the well behaved ones, if you're a liability you get a cell to yourself.

Guardian got this as well today.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/27/rent-share-bedroom-stranger-london-sky-high-rents

I was forced to rent a shared bedroom with a stranger
As an aspiring actor, heavily in debt and with no deposit, I had no other option when faced with London’s sky-high rents

With the cost of a single room in London now reaching the realms of the utterly unaffordable, increasing numbers of tenants are being forced to rent just half a room, with a 71% rise in searches for shared bedrooms reported over the past two years.

Several years ago, while (barely) working as an actor, I accepted a live-in bar job at a busy Soho pub, lured by the proximity of West End life. The fact that I’d be sharing a small room with another girl struck me as romantic – a tad Moulin Rouge with only a hint of EastEnders. Aware of my hermit-like tendencies, I saw the interruption of my private space as an interesting experiment rather than the miserable economic necessity it was.

Soho’s sex and sleaze formed a huge part of the attraction, and in terms of filth I certainly wasn’t let down. The room was disgusting, filled with the remnants of all those gap year boys-on-tour who’d occupied it before me. My roommate, Viktoria, who drank pints for breakfast, was a riot grrrl turned pacifist. She seemed pretty unfazed by the mice, the cockroaches, the gross stuff growing in the fridge an inch away from my nose. I hoped her nonchalance would be contagious.

We spent long days smoking on our roof terrace and admiring the Soho skyline. Viktoria would order drinks to be sent up from the bar in the dumbwaiter. Our boyfriends came to visit, and sleeping over they too practised the art of nonchalance. Sex was hush-hush but not hidden, and if friends came round they’d sleep on the floor, insulated by a cosy cloud of Rentokil cockroach spray and cigarette smoke.

I am a visionaire, and I am already talked about this in my thread:

You can argue that to the average London salary prices are out of control, but the point is that those prices are referenced to other stuff like parents' gift, international investment, London as a safe haven. I strongly believe that London is geared towards a free-market dystopia that will resemble very much cities like Dubai or Hong Kong where many people will end up living in cages (literally). Have you ever watched "Children of Men"? It is worth taking a look. So you better end up in the right side of the equation.

London is the new Dubai or new Hong Kong. You better it understand it sooner than later.

I am a visionaire, and I am already talked about this in my thread:

London is the new Dubai or new Hong Kong. You better it understand it sooner than later.

No its not.

~30% of households in London depend on benefits for 50%+ of their income.

Cut benefits and prices will fall.

Neither Dubai or HK have a benefit system as stupid as the UKs.

No its not.

~30% of households in London depend on benefits for 50%+ of their income.

Cut benefits and prices will fall.

Neither Dubai or HK have a benefit system as stupid as the UKs.

Very very true - when people realise that their taxes are making them poor we will have change. Sadly there are a lot of stupid people.

Just clicked on the 'taboo gifts' thread - what rubbish the BBC churns out! If someone gave me 13 white lilies and a knife I would be delighted! Who are these superstitious weirdos?

Just clicked on the 'taboo gifts' thread - what rubbish the BBC churns out! If someone gave me 13 white lilies and a knife I would be delighted! Who are these superstitious weirdos?

If I was room-sharing with the knife and lilies donor I might be a trifle uneasy....

If you read (or re-read) Orwells' "Road to Wigan Pier" and "Down & Out in Paris & London" then you may well come to think (as I do) that from the perspective of a single person with no kids on a low income, we are heading firmly back to the 30's

Globalisation in action - the importation of 3rd world labour and living standards coupled with the unwinding of such concepts as 'British culture' & 'society'

Edited by disenfranchised

Globalisation in action - the importation of 3rd world labour and living standards coupled with the unwinding of such concepts as 'British culture' & 'society'

+1

As the 'Dragons' are fond of saying. 'I'm out'.

I shared a room for 4 years at University in London, it wasn't that unusual back then. It's surprising how these things go in cycles I guess, but I do entirely understand why someone wouldn't want to be doing it past their early twenties.