House Price Crash Forum
spyguy

Where Did All The Students Go?

'A meeting of the panel was told that in the past, families have been priced out of communities like Headingley, Kirkstall and Hyde Park by greedy landlords who have pushed the market sky high over the years. Landlords had also neglected the maintenance of many properties, confident that the rents would keep rolling in.'

Yep.Rings a big bell.

Still quite a lot of students resident around Hyde Park when I visited Leeds last year but not actually on Hyde Park. I guess the muggers have moved in and it is running the gauntlet. Or are there better things to do than chilling out on the park with flowers in your hair 60s style.

These guys used to have plenty of hair...Where did all that hair go?

Edited by crashmonitor

Also,worth noting the increase in foreign students is covering up falling demand from UK domiciled students.Foreign students would generally much rather take somewhere run by/in conjunction with the Uni than something run by a local LL.

Also,an increasing number fo students are opting to study at their home Uni.Can see demand for overpriced dumps dropping some more before it plateaus.

I've driven around Leeds uni. Some terraced houses with bars on the windows and doors. Never seen anything like it. Proper grim.

Were are all the human beings?

Have they been sent to Milton Keynes?

They used to live round here but now they're gone

For some of us still life goes on

Sadly cut down in her prime in a horrific accident with a prop.

I've driven around Leeds uni. Some terraced houses with bars on the windows and doors. Never seen anything like it. Proper grim.

I was at university in Leeds, left in ’95. Lived in Headingley and Hyde park.

We had bars on our ground floor windows and doors back then. The grim-ness isn’t new. Rent was only £35 a week though.

Yep, most of it is grubby back to backs with security gates - not just the student areas. Our place was the only exception in the entire street -and I think that was because it looked too much of a wreck to rob. It truly is grim up North. I lived there for five years, and never understood either the appeal or pride in Yorkshire. Sure some parts are pretty, but they are likely traffic choked and/or expensive.

let us not foget too the casual racism of yorkshire.Since living in yorkshire 15 racially motivated incidents directed at my foreign missus including an assault. interestingly some of the nicest folk i met in yorkshire were the muslims so you cant believe everything you read. Poor buggers ****** knows how they "deal" with the simpletons here.

To be fair some lovely folk in yorkshire just a lot of backward ******wits and places I wouldnt live if you paid me. It definately has the highest hostility to outsiders of any place I lived in the UK and I have lived in some real shit holes.

I will not be buying a house here.

let us not foget too the casual racism of yorkshire.Since living in yorkshire 15 racially motivated incidents directed at my foreign missus including an assault. interestingly some of the nicest folk i met in yorkshire were the muslims so you cant believe everything you read. Poor buggers ****** knows how they "deal" with the simpletons here.

To be fair some lovely folk in yorkshire just a lot of backward ******wits and places I wouldnt live if you paid me. It definately has the highest hostility to outsiders of any place I lived in the UK and I have lived in some real shit holes.

I will not be buying a house here.

Agreed - mirrors my experience nearly exactly (even down to meeting lots of friendly Muslims and Sikhs). It is like travelling back in time to the 1970s. My south east asian missus was also assaulted (although she also gave them a kicking back). She/we were regularly the subject of racial abuse as white/asian couple including stones/paint being thrown at the house. They even threw lit fireworks into the back of our moving van when were were packing it.

I still have Filipino friends there who did buy. More than five years in the neighbourhood, and they are still getting hassle.

Have relatives and friends there - and they ask me if I want to come and stay. Hollow laughter is the response. Had my fill of Yorkshire - very unlikely to go back. Bizarrely enough white friends over there are utterly baffled by the racism my missus and I experienced. It really is invisible to them.

As you said, there are some nice, if dour, people there - but the sizeable minority of racist shits spoiled it. So so glad I didn't buy there.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Oh so its not just me then. Believe it or not one of the incidents my wife is a qualified first aider and stopped to help a woman lying on the ground having difficulty breathing. When she tried to administer first aid she was hit and told "we dont want your type here".

I actually believe I would recieve some as an outsider but for the fact I am a scarey looking SOB who would pull someones arms off if they hit me. Part of the casual racism is to pick on women and little folk not people who look like they could hit back. Maybe the tracksuit smoking fatties in electric buggies dont want foriegners cutting in on there benefits monies.Your right it is like the 70s except for high house prices it has racism, poverty, shit redbrick houses, bad haircuts run down industrial areas.

oh and there isnt really a lot to do either, at least good family stuff that doesnt cost a fortune.

I have lived in some real shithole areas in most of the UK big cities, I have seen crazy shit and a lot of crime but I was shocked by what I saw here, it really is backwards.

If they think I am dropping 200k on one of there houses they have another thing coming.

Which place?

Rotherham, or any of the old mining places - Wakefield, etc?

Leeds. dariuszen - truly shocking what happened to your missus (but then mine was just waiting at a bus stop when she was attacked).

And agreed, it's an extreme scarcity mentality - no doubt derived from multigenerational poverty coupled with absolute ignorance of anything other than their immediate locality. I was regularly shocked by the number of people I met who'd barely got out of Leeds, never mind visited London (their capital city which is just two hours away by train).

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Suprised at Leeds, although some areas have still not seen the 60s.

I was expecting Barnsley, Rotherham or Doncaster.

There's a strong victim hood culture in the North, And other areas. And other countries.

The UK's never ending welfare state enocurages people to wallow in their bad choices.

Cap wlfare at 5 years and you'll see these sort of attitudes disappear.

I wonder if this will be repeated across the country.

Loads of Unis building their own accommodation.

Indeed,often in conjunction with the big banks.

BTLer offerings are,from what I can see,of a generally inferior nature ie run down,poorly maintained etc, and not even that cheap any more.

It's never a good idea for your main competitor to have

1) direct access to new arrivals particularly the wealthy overseas students

2) deep pockets

3) access to dirt cheap finance

From the scale of building I've seen in Nottingham and Leicester over the last few years,I'd be getting nervous if I was sat on a poorly maintained student BTL portfolio

Indeed,often in conjunction with the big banks.

BTLer offerings are,from what I can see,of a generally inferior nature ie run down,poorly maintained etc, and not even that cheap any more.

It's never a good idea for your main competitor to have

1) direct access to new arrivals particularly the wealthy overseas students

2) deep pockets

3) access to dirt cheap finance

From the scale of building I've seen in Nottingham and Leicester over the last few years,I'd be getting nervous if I was sat on a poorly maintained student BTL portfolio

Yep, repeated all over. When I was a student it was practically impossible to find university owned accommodation after the first year. Now there is plenty for all (at least in my local university town). Universities have well and truly cottoned onto this income stream - no doubt bolstered also by the regular complaints and problems with BTLs.

Oh so its not just me then. Believe it or not one of the incidents my wife is a qualified first aider and stopped to help a woman lying on the ground having difficulty breathing. When she tried to administer first aid she was hit and told "we dont want your type here".

I actually believe I would recieve some as an outsider but for the fact I am a scarey looking SOB who would pull someones arms off if they hit me. Part of the casual racism is to pick on women and little folk not people who look like they could hit back. Maybe the tracksuit smoking fatties in electric buggies dont want foriegners cutting in on there benefits monies.Your right it is like the 70s except for high house prices it has racism, poverty, shit redbrick houses, bad haircuts run down industrial areas.

oh and there isnt really a lot to do either, at least good family stuff that doesnt cost a fortune.

I have lived in some real shithole areas in most of the UK big cities, I have seen crazy shit and a lot of crime but I was shocked by what I saw here, it really is backwards.

If they think I am dropping 200k on one of there houses they have another thing coming.

That experience sounds shocking! It sounds like another world compared to the South East! Maybe comparable to Vermont vs Alabama.

Edited by PricedOutNative

I wonder if this will be repeated across the country.

Loads of Unis building their own accommodation.

Loads of Uni accommodation has been built in Luton in last 2 years.Hasn't done much for rents though as they have continued to rise.Being 30 mins from London I would assume offsets the loss of students letting as you can still find professionals to take the places.

You know I have lived in Rough parts of Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, most major UK cities and I never experienced anything like this. Violence and high crime yes but ignorance no. There are some lovely people in Yorkshire like all places but the casual racism and hatred towards outsiders always catches you off guard. Poverty is no excuse, often in high poverty areas there is a good community and people are educated they just lack opportunity.

I felt something was up when I noticed a distinct lack of book shops which I often find even in the poorest of towns and a large number of cash converters. Maybe zoopla should give you a guide to how many cash converters are within 5 miles so you can judge if its a place you want to live :)

Suprised at Leeds, although some areas have still not seen the 60s.

I was expecting Barnsley, Rotherham or Doncaster.

There's a strong victim hood culture in the North, And other areas. And other countries.

The UK's never ending welfare state enocurages people to wallow in their bad choices.

Cap wlfare at 5 years and you'll see these sort of attitudes disappear.

I think you're right. People say the scots or liverpudlians are all left wing commies. Nope, its just all the scots and liverpudlians that arent left wing commies have left Scotland or Liverpool for somewhere more positive in outlook. Tonnes of Scots around the Cambridge area.

You know I have lived in Rough parts of Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, most major UK cities and I never experienced anything like this. Violence and high crime yes but ignorance no. There are some lovely people in Yorkshire like all places but the casual racism and hatred towards outsiders always catches you off guard. Poverty is no excuse, often in high poverty areas there is a good community and people are educated they just lack opportunity.

I felt something was up when I noticed a distinct lack of book shops which I often find even in the poorest of towns and a large number of cash converters. Maybe zoopla should give you a guide to how many cash converters are within 5 miles so you can judge if its a place you want to live :)

Interesting. I lived in Sheffield for 6-7 years in the late 1990's and early 2000's, and I never noticed any more casual racism than you see for example in Oxford (where I am currently). Plenty of tribal hatred towards Rotherham and Leeds, granted. Of course I was a student and you expect a certain level of student bashing IME. Never actually got physically attacked in Shef, which I did when I was a student in Birmingham.

And agreed, it's an extreme scarcity mentality - no doubt derived from multigenerational poverty coupled with absolute ignorance of anything other than their immediate locality. I was regularly shocked by the number of people I met who'd barely got out of Leeds, never mind visited London (their capital city which is just two hours away by train).

That would be York you are talking about, not London. What's the point of going all that way just to say you have been to London? Won't impress folk round here. Anyway, as Bernard says, Yorkshire is the jewel in England's crown ...

Bernard Ingham: Stand tall for Yorkshire but stand together as one nation "IT is said that we in Yorkshire are Scots shorn of all charity. Indeed, our motto is reputed to be “If tha does owt for nowt, do it for thissen” .

The population of the three Ridings nearly equals the 5m or so north of the border. And North Sea oil or not, Yorkshire has at least as much economic clout and perhaps even more potential than Bonnie Scotland. But just because roughly half the Scots have gone comprehensively barmy under the leadership of such treacherous tartans as first Alex Salmond and now Nicola Sturgeon is no reason why Yorkshire should proceed to lose its marbles.

This is why any election manifesto for God’s own country must be founded in the realty of its membership of a wider community. For now – but not for long if the Scottish Nationalists have anything to do with it – that wider community is the United Kingdom.

Yorkshire’s economic health depends on that of the overall UK far more than the UK relies for its wellbeing on its membership of the European Union, whatever Europhiles and industrialists who have lost their entrepreneurial flair tell us. The eurozone is a millstone, not a rocket.

The second essential for any credible manifesto is to recognise that our senior clerics commune primarily with the fairies. The Archbishops of Canterbury and York write as if this were a poor country with vast extremes of wealth instead of being the fourth largest economy in the world with inevitably- wide disparities in property ownership. Have they never heard of the Parable of the Talents? Are they intellectually incapable of grasping the point that, short of cruel fate or neglectful grown-up children, people have no excuse for being destitute any more? And is their understanding of human nature so defective that they cannot see that food banks create an unlimited demand among the unprincipled?

Cantuar and Ebor should get out more before they write their political manifestos. Which brings me back to Yorkshire’s pitch. I shall be searingly honest. My potted appeal to the public would read like this: Fellow Tykes: Whether we like it or not, we are citizens of the world. Our trade has become irreversibly ever more global and the freer it is the sooner we shall eradicate the sort of poverty we have banished from our own shores – provided we also get rid of the planet’s remaining graspingly corrupt tyrants. This means that our prosperity in Yorkshire, as citizens of the UK, depends on the stability and competitive strength of the British nation. Our first requirement is therefore a healthy national economy. Unfortunately, it is only convalescent. We must continue to nurse it back to health by eliminating the outstanding £90bn deficit and starting to reduce a national debt of £1.4trillion that annually takes more than the defence budget in interest payments. Otherwise, Yorkshire’s economy will be as unstable as Spurn Point’s shifting sands. It is up to you to decide which party is most likely to produce a nation that lives within its means.

Until it does, all other objectives are at risk. Assuming, as I must with Yorkshire folk, that you bring common sense to bear on your choice of government, let me now remind you that as a voter you have a further role to play to make a success of Yorkshire.

It needs your determination to create a Northern powerhouse – to make Yorkshire a globally recognised place 
to do business because of its welcome 
on the mat and its go-ahead ideas, transport system, productivity, effective social infrastructure and the recreational facilities bestowed on it by nature. It will not get all that without a better education system to provide the economy with skills and ambition or without innovative health care where the NHS and local authorities work together to keep Yorkshire fit and supported in distress and old age. In short, my Yorkshire manifesto is an appeal to self-help. We expect too much – and too many of the wrong things – from our maligned politicians. Certainly the elected government has to provide the right economic and ethical framework if the nation as a whole is to prosper and advance. But only Yorkshire can put the icing on its cake. And it can only do that by making the world sit up and take notice that it is the jewel in England’s crown. You can start by making your intentions known – and no messing.

We need a new, resurgent Yorkshire spirit. Only Tykes can make Tykes walk tall".

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/debate/columnists/bernard-ingham-stand-tall-for-yorkshire-but-stand-together-as-one-nation-1-7074645