House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
erranta

Bank Of England - Interest Rate

I will leave this one to the city boys (and gals)

To a small extent I'm surprised that Brown hasn't told them to cut rates, particularly in the run-up to Christmas. I guess even he must realise that more rate cuts would do more harm than good.

Personally I'd forgotten that there was even a meeting today, I'd got so used to rates going nowhere.

Surprise no, disappointed yes.

The next milestone towards a crash is forced sellers, of which I’ll be honest and say

I haven’t seen any around my area. Plenty of houses for sale, more than I’ve ever seen.

And a lot of sellers holding on to ridiculous prices that aren’t selling? (puzzling?????)

Guest Charlie The Tramp

And a lot of sellers holding on to ridiculous prices that aren’t selling? (puzzling?????)

Probably MEWed to the hilt and cannot reduce.

Unlike you lot, I’m actually quite pleased. Let me explain.

I was sure that before Xmas, GB was going to influence the BoE to drop rates and give the consumer a small shot in the arm, giving them another feel good excuse to go out and shop and avert (only temporarily) the gloom that is going to hit the retail sector, causing recession, job losses, house price crash (not in that specific order).

The fact that a temporary cut xmas cut has not been given, IMHO shows that there really is no movement that the BoE can take other than up, lets face it, the rate was NEVER going to go up with only a few weeks shopping before xmas. So, let’s face it, this is a good piece of news. IMO.

This can't and WON'T go on though, we are sandwiched between the US and EU zones who are both on an interest rate escalator, the currency is going to start taking a serious kicking very soon!

Just slightly off topic, rail fares to rise 9% in January. :blink:

What I found disturbing is that both on Sky and on Five Live 'commentators' stated that they felt IRs would go down 0.25% in February and be at 4% or under come the end of 2006!

This is the opposite to what we are seeing with global IRs and what is being written in various financial publications!

What I don't understand is why the pound is going up again. It hit its highest point since October today. There's been no talk of IRs going up, and no signals from the MPC, so why is sterling not going down?

There's been no talk of IRs going up, and no signals from the MPC, so why is sterling not going down?

Maybe people were expecting a pre-Xmas cut?

What I found disturbing is that both on Sky and on Five Live 'commentators' stated that they felt IRs would go down 0.25% in February and be at 4% or under come the end of 2006!

This is the opposite to what we are seeing with global IRs and what is being written in various financial publications!

Hmmm if I had the choice between the IR forecast from a '5 Live' journalist ( who is probably shitting himself over his money loosing BTL portfolio ) or a research report from BarclaysCapital I know which I'd back.

Surely the city is better informed than that. If we knew there was going to be no cut, then traders must have been of the same opinion and already factored this into the rate.

Unlike you lot, I’m actually quite pleased. Let me explain.

I was sure that before Xmas, GB was going to influence the BoE to drop rates and give the consumer a small shot in the arm, giving them another feel good excuse to go out and shop and avert (only temporarily) the gloom that is going to hit the retail sector, causing recession, job losses, house price crash (not in that specific order).

The fact that a temporary cut xmas cut has not been given, IMHO shows that there really is no movement that the BoE can take other than up, lets face it, the rate was NEVER going to go up with only a few weeks shopping before xmas. So, let’s face it, this is a good piece of news. IMO.

Yep good call, exactly how I see it :)

I was sure that before Xmas, GB was going to influence the BoE to drop rates ...

How? Remind us of the evidence you have that such undue influence could be, or ever has been, used. Please take your time.

p

Guest Bart of Darkness

Bank Of England - Interest Rate, Rate Unchanged - anyone surprised?

Well TTRTR for a start. :D