House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Us Death Penalty: Wyoming May Allow Firing Squads In Executions

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-death-penalty-wyoming-may-allow-firing-squads-in-executions-10003449.html

With numerous questions swirling around lethal injections as a method of execution in the US, one state has voted to revert to the use of a firing squad to ensure prisoners get executed even if lethal injections aren’t possible.

The Wyoming state Senate earlier this month passed a piece of legislation that would authorize firing squads to become the back-up method of execution in the state, according to a report from the Wall Street Journal.

Lethal injections have come under fire in the US in the last year after the state of Oklahoma botched the execution of a death row inmate in April. Clayton Lockett was to be put to death last year via lethal injection, but officials had trouble administering his IV and Lockett was alive for 43 minutes, at times writhing in pain.

An independent investigation found the poorly placed IV caused Lockett’s drawn-out execution, not the combination of drugs used. But that hasn’t stopped three Oklahoma death-row inmates from bringing a case claiming lethal injections qualify as cruel and unusual punishment.

Even if Wyoming starts allowing execution by firing squad, it’s not guaranteed any such execution would happen. Wyoming is the least populated state in the US and has no one on death row. Only one prisoner has been executed in the state since 1976, according to reports.

Surely you'd be able to rig up say a dozen rifles to fire automatically so it would require minimal human interaction?

all this expense when there are thousands of perfectly good multi story car parks to shove them off.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-death-penalty-wyoming-may-allow-firing-squads-in-executions-10003449.html

Surely you'd be able to rig up say a dozen rifles to fire automatically so it would require minimal human interaction?

Or just one machine gun in the boot of a car.

Yes I have just finished watching breaking bad. :)

How can you botch a lethal injection? Surely that's quite hard.

I imagine a firing squad is rather easier to botch.

probably a lot easier than at first glance.

even when giving a "normal" injection if the nurse doesn't vacate all the air bubbles in the syringe there's a risk of causing an embolism..not very nice.

plus some of these guys on death row have probably spent years shooting up drugs of whatever sort, which would harden and bruise veins normally used for introvenus stuff.

large animal vets could probably do a better job than the technicians they presently use, because they are so used to euthanising/death in the first place.

I think best and most efficient method would probably be nitrogen hypoxia.

..all you need is a secure prisoner, a bottle of nitrogen(which if it leaks out is pretty inert anyway), and a modified gas mask...job done in 2-3 minutes max 100% of the time.

Inhmane.

It will be beheadings next.

that's on georgia's statute book i believe.

americans don't really go in for that sort of thing, so it will probably be kicked out on health+safety grounds(ie risk of aids/hepC from druggies etc)

probably a lot easier than at first glance.

even when giving a "normal" injection if the nurse doesn't vacate all the air bubbles in the syringe there's a risk of causing an embolism..not very nice.

plus some of these guys on death row have probably spent years shooting up drugs of whatever sort, which would harden and bruise veins normally used for introvenus stuff.

large animal vets could probably do a better job than the technicians they presently use, because they are so used to euthanising/death in the first place.

I think best and most efficient method would probably be nitrogen hypoxia.

..all you need is a secure prisoner, a bottle of nitrogen(which if it leaks out is pretty inert anyway), and a modified gas mask...job done in 2-3 minutes max 100% of the time.

I thought the drugs made for lethal injection, were made in Watford, and were now part of a transportation ban (or something)...

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/methods-execution?scid=8&did=245#state

I thought the drugs made for lethal injection, were made in Watford, and were now part of a transportation ban (or something)...

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/methods-execution?scid=8&did=245#state

so it seems a bit hypocritical of the EU to ban the drugs to the US, when the swiss and the belgians can now use pretty much the same stuff without the bat of an eyelid.

of course we know the EU is all double standards anyway, they want to be seen as kind and caring, but in reality are way more oppressive than uncle sam.

for your own good of course.

Part of the problem is that the do-gooders have prevented normal and effective drugs being used.

For example, you could administer a general anesthetic which is entirely painless and very well proven. You could then do whatever you want, without the criminal feeling a thing. You could simply forget to ventilate them, and they would die in short order.

Aside from the rights and wrongs of the death penalty, if society is going to do this, it has a duty to make it as painless as possible,

Aside from the rights and wrongs of the death penalty, if society is going to do this, it has a duty to make it as painless as possible,

I think part of the US culture is retribution also..ie I doubt they gave quite as much consideration the their victims,

In some circumstances, I think the death penalty is reasonable.

ie treason....if the individual concerned has put the lives/wellbeing of the other citizens of the country in jeopardy by their actions, the life imprisonment might still not be effective enough(ie they are still able to pass on/divulge information to prospective enemies even from behind prison cell walls that could continue to put people in danger)

in these sort of cases it should be mandatory.

multiple murders....probably.

individual murders, depends on the circumstances......you do see a lot of these guys in the US on death row for killing family members...so there is a risk that some of these were heat-of-the-moment domestics that got out of hand.In these sort of cases it's probably safer to give life sentence.

random pre-meditated murder+rape etc to random people probably should be capital.

Part of the problem is that the do-gooders have prevented normal and effective drugs being used.

For example, you could administer a general anesthetic which is entirely painless and very well proven. You could then do whatever you want, without the criminal feeling a thing. You could simply forget to ventilate them, and they would die in short order.

or, being wyoming they're in rattlesnake territory.

so you just load tranquilizer dart guns with rattlesnake venom and shoot the prisoner.

not cruel or unusual, in fact rather natural.

but not a nice way to go.

15-20 minutes worth of convulsions and gasping for breath before you cork it.

We've been round the houses on this topic on many occasions, but I have never believed in the death penalty...it doesn't work (ie its not a deterrent), I find it morally wrong, and its more expensive to execute someone, than it is locking them up for the rest of their life.. Moreover, it gives someone time to think about what they've done, and to repent...

(I'm not religious in anyway, by the way!)..

On December 10, 1869, territorial Governor John Allen Campbell extended the right to vote to women, making Wyoming the first territory and then U.S. state to grant suffrage to women. In addition, Wyoming was also a pioneer in welcoming women into politics. Women first served on juries in Wyoming (Laramie in 1870); Wyoming had the first female court bailiff (Mary Atkinson, Laramie, in 1870); and the first female justice of the peace in the country (Esther Hobart Morris, South Pass City, in 1870).

Also, in 1924, Wyoming became the first state to elect a female governor, Nellie Tayloe Ross, who took office in January 1925. (In fact, Wyoming and Texas both elected female governors at the same time, but Wyoming's took office sixteen days before Texas's.)[17] Due to its civil-rights history, Wyoming's state nickname is "The Equality State", and the official state motto is "Equal Rights".[18]

Wyoming's constitution included women's suffrage and a pioneering article on water rights.[19] The United States admitted Wyoming into the Union as the 44th state on July 10, 1890.[18]

Seems quite progressive for the US. Intresting history on its wiki page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming

or, being wyoming they're in rattlesnake territory.

so you just load tranquilizer dart guns with rattlesnake venom and shoot the prisoner.

not cruel or unusual, in fact rather natural.

but not a nice way to go.

15-20 minutes worth of convulsions and gasping for breath before you cork it.

Yellowstone is in Wyoming - you could sit someone on a geyser. Ouch!

Some interesting people they have had in Wyoming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillian_Heath

Lilian Heath (December 29, 1865 – August 5, 1962) was the first female medical doctor in the state of Wyoming and one of the first to practice medicine west of the Mississippi River.

She is infamous for having used the top of the outlaw Big Nose George Parrott's skull as a doorstop and pen jar.

After the March 22, 1881, lynching of infamous outlaw Big Nose George Parrott for the murder of Robert Widdowfield, Heath was a witness at the autopsy performed by Maghee and was given the skull cap that had been sawn off Parrott's head as a souvenir, while other portions of his body were made into a pair of shoes.[4][3][1]

She used the skull cap as a door stop.[5]

She kept the skull cap for decades and it was positively identified as an exact match in the 1950s after the remainder of Parrott's body was exhumed and examined. The skull cap was put on display at the Union Pacific Railroad Historical Museum in Council Bluffs, Iowa, while the remainder of the skull is on display at the Carbon County Museum in Rawlins.

She observed the solar eclipse of July 29, 1878, along with scientist Henry Draper and inventor Thomas Edison, who had come to Wyoming to conduct experiments and had stayed in the Rawlins House, where the Heaths were living at the time.

Edit:

You have to wonder from what they made the shoes.

On October 24, 1898, she married Louis J. Nelson of Rawlins, a painter and decorator.[3] Her husband used the top part of the skull cap as a tobacco pipe ashtray

We've been round the houses on this topic on many occasions, but I have never believed in the death penalty...it doesn't work (ie its not a deterrent), I find it morally wrong, and its more expensive to execute someone, than it is locking them up for the rest of their life.. Moreover, it gives someone time to think about what they've done, and to repent...

(I'm not religious in anyway, by the way!)..

My main reservation is that people are sometimes convicted on pretty sketchy evidence (Rolf Harris, for example), and that there is no guarantee that some government isn't going to use it to get rid of inconvenient people sometime in the future, if they have been rude to someone on twitter, for example.

there is no such thing as a Death Penalty. We all suffer it regardless of how good we are.

The Penalty is the Official shortening of life.

I still think shoving them off a multi story is most economic.