House Price Crash Forum

Newpaper Circulation

HOLA441

This has a tenuous link to house prices, so bear with me.

I just came across this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_Kingdom_by_circulation#Circulations_2010_to_present

e.g. ( FROM WIKIPEDIA ).

Circulations 2010 to present

Figures shown are average circulations for January of each year. Only newspapers with circulations of more than 100,000 copies per day in January 2012 are listed. Regardless of immediate source, all figures originate from theAudit Bureau of Circulations.

Title 2014[7] 2013[8] 2012[9] 2011[10] 2010[11][12]

The Sun 2,213,659 2,409,811 2,582,301 3,001,822 3,006,565

Daily Mail 1,780,565 1,863,151 1,945,496 2,136,568 2,120,347

Daily Mirror 992,256 1,058,488 1,102,810 1,194,097 1,218,425

Evening Standard TBA 695,645699,368 704,008[ 601,960

Daily Telegraph 544,546 555,817 578,774 651,184 691,128

Daily Express 500,473 529,648 577,543 639,875 674,640

Daily Star 489,067 535,957 617,082 734,311 779,376

The Times 384,304 399,339 397,549 457,250 508,250

i 298,266 293,946 264,432 133,472 N/A

inancial Times 234,193 275,375 316,493 383,067 390,315

Daily Record 227,639 251,535 291,825 306,872 323,831

The Guardian 207,958 204,440 215,988 279,308 302,285

The Independent 66,576 76,802 105,160 185,035 185,815

So, all the major news papers are in massive decline ( and it seems no one really reads the independent !!! and more people read the daily record than the Guardian!!! )

So the next time you are getting wound up about some charlatan VI reporter, just remember,,,,,they need their BTL empire cause they wont have a job in 5 years time.

Newspapers are like the church and buses, old people use them and the occasional strange young person. Buses will at least survive to the end of the century.

The Evening Standard is doing well, the rest you can't give away. :D:D:D

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA442
HOLA443

Why read a paper when you can read it online?

I think the last time I bought a paper is when I went on a train about 8 months ago.

Why wait a day and half for news someone on twitter has already posted, with photos, facts and unbiased, non state led commentary.

The people who work in "the papers" must be worried. Maybe they need a bailout !!!

I'd imagine they'd seen cut backs over the last decades, lower wages etc and more decline to come i'd wager.

Sure, they've moved their content on line but there is so much free content I cant see many young people paying for it.

The newspapers have quite literally, are going down the twitter.

We should expect internet regulation shortly.....

How many people read this site anually ?

HOLA444
HOLA445

Going back to my off topic post on the BBC, I wonder what the BBC's viewing figures are like.

I would hazrd they are showing similar teen percentage drops over the last few years.

Newspapers took the p1ss - endless celeb commentary. Pointless filla - houses, holidays, cars.

Page after page of (cheap) opinion - Littlecock, Toynbee.

Then the internet came and - Bam!!

I stopped reading dailies and Sundays in the early 90s. Just a waste of time.

HOLA446

Why wait a day and half for news someone on twitter has already posted, with photos, facts and unbiased, non state led commentary.

The people who work in "the papers" must be worried. Maybe they need a bailout !!!

I'd imagine they'd seen cut backs over the last decades, lower wages etc and more decline to come i'd wager.

Sure, they've moved their content on line but there is so much free content I cant see many young people paying for it.

The newspapers have quite literally, are going down the twitter.

We should expect internet regulation shortly.....

How many people read this site anually ?

Wasn;t there a Roy Greenslade article proposing a Newspaper license fee to be levied on the the general population to support those fine, upstanding journalists.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Newspapers are completely redundant, when there are 20 blogs on any topic you are interested in - each one probably full of people on the ground reporting the news with pictures, maps etc etc.

Even TV is suffering. American network news is barely watched anymore. You can get amazing footage and documentaries of the rebels fighting in Donbass - where are these on mainstream media?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Why read a paper when you can read it online?

I think the last time I bought a paper is when I went on a train about 8 months ago.

I always have a daily scan of the main online papers for an overview of what's going on, but I sometimes still buy a broadsheet (about once a fortnight, mostly when I've got a quiet day ahead).

I get eye strain reading off a screen; sometimes I don't think you can beat a good in-depth read of a hard copy.

HOLA4412

I think papers are changing but won't go away entirely. Daily papers are becoming more like magazines, full of pictures, lifestyle articles etc. I think people still enjoy the experience of reading the paper instead of flicking through a little smartphone screen. Go into Smith's in any railway station and there are hundreds of magazines on every conceivable topic, so there must still be some market for them. I can foresee that in a few years however, most of the also-ran papers will disappear - such as the Daily Sport, which has already gone online only. Papers like the Indy and the Express will go under I should think.

By the way according to a BBC prog on Canterbury cathedral, although church attendance is in decline there has been a major boom in cathedral attendance. It's thought partly to be tourism but also local people who want to worship in a more anonymous way than they would be able to at parish level.

Edited by Austin Allegro

HOLA4413

The I is doing better......the only one with the magical 'Growth' word....apparently now that is all that matters. ;)

Takes me under ten mins to get through the I. It's more a news summary and there is next to no analysis. At 30p a pop, it's become the go-to choice for any hotel offering a free paper.

Was surprised to see the FT taking a hammering, given it has a niche market. They do charge for online content - wonder if that's offsetting the decline in print sales though.

As a keen follower of current affairs, I really enjoy the analysis in the International Herald Tribune, but it's nearly £2 for half the pages of any UK broadsheet. A little luxury I can't justify.

HOLA4414

... another one of life's little pleasures under threat!

A-man-sitting-on-the-toil-007.jpg

thats what these pictures are missing ;)

A digitally edited series from Italian artist Cristina Guggeri shows the world’s most powerful politicians and religious leaders taking a free moment to perform what she jokingly calls “The Daily Duty,” which also happens to be the name of the series (“Il Dovere Quotidiano”).

worldleaders_elitedaily-800x400.jpg

world-leaders-pooping-the-daily-duty-cri

more here...

why look at newspaper circulations, so old school?? Its broadband /mobile device penetration, thats where the news is

check out south vs north Korea, on connectivity:

23link.1_190x245.jpg

Edited by tyres

HOLA4415

Takes me under ten mins to get through the I. It's more a news summary and there is next to no analysis. At 30p a pop, it's become the go-to choice for any hotel offering a free paper.

Was surprised to see the FT taking a hammering, given it has a niche market. They do charge for online content - wonder if that's offsetting the decline in print sales though.

As a keen follower of current affairs, I really enjoy the analysis in the International Herald Tribune, but it's nearly £2 for half the pages of any UK broadsheet. A little luxury I can't justify.

I have to admit that I used to without fail buy a paper every day, no longer. Other people I know only buy once a week on a Sunday.....So many other places to collect information as it happens, instantly...place to read points of view from both professional and lay...lots of good books still to read. ;)

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/

HOLA4416

I have to admit that I used to without fail buy a paper every day, no longer. Other people I know only buy once a week on a Sunday.....So many other places to collect information as it happens, instantly...place to read points of view from both professional and lay...lots of good books still to read. ;)

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/

I often find material online which weakens the analysis in print publications. Probably there's not enough money these days to pay journalists who can deliver quality scoops and thorough investigative research. Doing your own research on the internet also shows how much of a VI there is in many papers and few of them are writing in the interests of the under 40s. Edited by rantnrave

HOLA4417

I often find material online which weakens the analysis in print publications. Probably there's not enough money these days to pay journalists who can deliver quality scoops and thorough investigative research. Doing your own research on the internet also shows how much of a VI there is in many papers and few of them are writing in the interests of the under 40s.

The more diverse views you can gather the better able you are to form a balanced opinion......income on-line is captured by advertising, I would have thought the under 40s were more savvy with anything IT, lots of openings out there to create on line news things of interest and importance, something appropriate for their generation and future prosperity, things they are passionate about and believe in...I doubt many young people buy a paper to read, the magazines have far more pages of ads than interest, the articles in some instances are forever repeating themselves, only so much can be said with some interests, hobbies.....things are forever changing......adapt or die. ;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I saw an interview with an ex-editor of a newspaper on BBC Breakfast last week. He said that he would browse the headlines on the BBC website in the evening, and if anything interested him he would look forward to reading about it in the newspaper the next day!

That is obviously a both a biased and old fashioned view, but I wonder how many are like this?

For my part, I subscribe to the Sunday Times, but only because the combination of the free cinema ticket which I use most weeks and a few of the other benefits vastly outweigh the £2 I pay for it.

I actually do enjoy sitting down and reading it when I get a chance, but it is more for the media, culture & sport sections than the actual news. It also comes with Home & Money sections if ever I need anything to make my blood boil.

Overall, I don't get the value out of it to justify the amount of paper wasted in it's production or if I actually paid the full cover price.

HOLA4420

I tend to get my papers at the library so don't buy one.

But basically the demand for the papers amongst the library readers( I don't know about the tabloids) is

(1) Telegraph

(2) Times

(3) Independent

(4) Guardian

Basically the Guardian will be the one left if they are all out.

I prefer the Telegraph, slighty more meaty, the Times is the most independent but can't link any of their articles, and the Independent is as left as the Telegraph is right, but not a bad business section.

The Guardian, don't like the format, utterly confusing and crap, I just can't be bothered and nobody else can either.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

why look at newspaper circulations, so old school?? Its broadband /mobile device penetration, thats where the news is

check out south vs north Korea, on connectivity:

23link.1_190x245.jpg

You're confusing platforms with content.

The concern about the demise of newspapers isn't the demise of newspapers, it's the demise of well funded, experienced, professional journalists. I get that the scales are somewhat balanced by the rise of whistle blowing insiders, but in the ideal world I'd personally like both.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Isn't the Telegraph just the 'Torygraph'?

Well absolutely and indeed I said that it was as biased as the Independent and indeed the Guardian too (for the left).

Ironic that Murdoch comes out with the only independent broadsheets the Times and FT.

But the Telegraph has a very well presented, reader friendly format, and the business section is probably the best excepting the FT. Also at least the articles are linkable....we should be grateful for that on here.

HOLA4425

Private Eye has the best print journalism.

You raise an interesting point. Magazine circulation is a bit spotty but generally holding up reasonably well, as are local newspapers. And a small select group of newspapers (FT, Wall Street Journal) are making their paywalls work. The Daily Mail claims it's close to a commercially viable on line model. It's the rest that are disappearing down the economic toilet.