House Price Crash Forum

Onthemarket Launches Today

spyguy

HOLA441
HOLA442

It's difficult to know where to start with this one.

How has it even got this far? My son often makes empty threats, but they never come to fruition because they're bat-shit crazy and ultimately, entirely transparent.

Why would you want to appoint an agent that purposely reduces your market for selling your house?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Would you go to a portal that's directly owned by a cartel of the biggest agents, and whose purpose is to stifle competition?

This is the moment we'll get to see the value of Rightmove's and Zoopla's independence. Their business is to compete fairly by keeping all parties happy, which is why they work hard to provide ever more of the information we the customers want to see.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I have no vested interests either way and I'm of the opinion that this is a very good thing. Rightmove and Zoopla have far too much power, scraping massive profits for simply being the first movers to create a simple website that could be knocked up very easily. Less money going to portals means agents can afford to charge customers less. The tactics necessary to get traction with OnTheMarket might seem cynical and self serving but I really don't see how else they could get this off the ground without such a strategy (OnTheMarket properties are limited to advertising on only one out of Zoopla or Rightmove - cleverly persuading people to check OnTheMarket + usual favourite to guarantee seeing all properties). This must be the first time I have stood up for the agents but I would actually look to choose an agent that was going with OnTheMarket to help shaft the rip off portals!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

surprised to see sold prices on there , i am pretty sure estate agents hate customers knowing what was paid previously

They do "show" sold prices, but only for the specific postcode or town that the user enters without the ability to search nearby areas, making the entire exercise useless. They can say that they're showing sold prices, but cynically doing so in a way that provides no help to a prospective buyer. This pretty well illustrates who's interest takes priority in the design of this website,i.e. not the home buyer's.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I have no vested interests either way and I'm of the opinion that this is a very good thing. Rightmove and Zoopla have far too much power, scraping massive profits for simply being the first movers to create a simple website that could be knocked up very easily. Less money going to portals means agents can afford to charge customers less. The tactics necessary to get traction with OnTheMarket might seem cynical and self serving but I really don't see how else they could get this off the ground without such a strategy (OnTheMarket properties are limited to advertising on only one out of Zoopla or Rightmove - cleverly persuading people to check OnTheMarket + usual favourite to guarantee seeing all properties). This must be the first time I have stood up for the agents but I would actually look to choose an agent that was going with OnTheMarket to help shaft the rip off portals!

I have no vested interests either way and I'm of the opinion that this is a very good thing. Landowners have far too much power, scraping massive profits for simply being the first movers to own property that could be knocked up very easily. Less money going to landowners means workers can afford to charge customers less.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I have never looked at zoopla. Remember that auction site that set up as a competitor to ebay? It was discussed on here, much better... what was it called?

It was ebid.

The thing people forget (including agencies) is that Rightmove was originally owned by some of the larger agencies (it's business model was a rip off of Propertylink for commercial property that was eventually sold to Estates Gazette). It was the intentional offering of shares in the Rightmove to the agencies that encouraged the first chains to use it.

As for whether this will work, it will only work if they get more properties in an area than the other sites. Unless and until it does it won't take off.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
  • 5 months later...
HOLA4422

What happened? :)

It was supposed to kill paying high listing fees to the big guns. The agents that signed up were supposed to ditch Rightmove & Zoopla. When it first launched, the agents in my area were still on RM/Zoopla, fair enough I thought, maybe their would be an overlap for existing properties.

Six months on, the three agents in my postcode that are on the new site, are still fully visible on RM/Zoopla.

Total fail?

HOLA4423

You can't replace an established brand leader with a lesser product, which is what they are trying to do. It is barmy. They should have come up with a new angle, but their level of entitlement blinded them.

Even the EAs seem to hate OTM.

https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/1054-online-head-s-old-men-jibe-at-onthemarket

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

You can't replace an established brand leader with a lesser product, which is what they are trying to do. It is barmy. They should have come up with a new angle, but their level of entitlement blinded them.

Even the EAs seem to hate OTM.

https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/1054-online-head-s-old-men-jibe-at-onthemarket

What are you saying?? That EA's don't understand marketing or indeed anything about market forces and economics! :P