House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Is This What The 0.1% Should Be Doing Taking Responsibility?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2926597/Villager-angry-council-cuts-hires-handywoman-16-000-salary-cleans-streets-cuts-hedges-empties-bins-local-residents.html

• Ling Valentine was angry after being told few resources to clear up village
  • She decided to act and advertise for handywoman or man for Grange Villa
  • Mrs Valentine now employs Clare Honey on a £16,000 salary to clear village
  • Ms Honey clears rubbish, cuts hedges and spots signs of criminal damage
  • Durham Police said scheme shows community cares about the local area
  • Ms Honey has been equipped with own motorised 'help' van and uniform
  • Council has switched to fortnightly bin collections and announced consultations last year on closing five of its remaining council care homes

Mrs Valentine decided to find her own solution to the problem and employed Ms Honey instead, equipping her with her own uniform and tools as well as a JCB - emblazoned with signs that say: 'Stop me, ask me for free help.'

Is this what the 0.1% should be doing taking responsibility as they now own 50% of the planets wealth? Spend their own money on society.

Full credit to the business woman doing this, I wonder how long she'll pay for this in her local area?

uh, yeah.

Its what they should have been doing the last few millenia.

Absolutely nothing stopping wealthy people giving more of their wealth away. Instead you get mouthy gits like Russell brand saying 'its terrible people pay so little tax'...so pay more you utter moron!

You can read more about the lady in the article here

http://www.lingscars.com/pcp.php#models

Brilliant idea....she should find a way to make it pay (eg get the LA to give her a grant or service level contract) and then franchise it. I bet services like this provided by a private sector provider could save the LAs (and us council tax payers) a bomb.

Good on Ling - I always had a soft spot for her particular brand of nuttiness when she was on Dragon's Den. This very much reflects her highly practical but also left field approach to getting things done.

There is, of course, no reason why any of us couldn't pick up the odd bit of litter if we spot it. We don't have to leave it to the rich.

Regarding franchising etc - my suspicion is the lions share of council tax doesn't go on stuff like this but rather elderly care and education.

A significant proportion of people living in the UK are complete slobs who want everything done for them and leave their rubbish for someone else to clear up. If you travel to other European countries and even Australia and New Zealand, you see a lot less litter and rubbish dropped to start off with.

What an utterly horrific yet simultaneously wonderful web site that is. A quote for those who don't want their eyes to bleed by looking at it:

Yes, this scruffy mental oriental sold £35,000,000 of new cars in the UK in 2008 - unbelievable, but quite true.

The world be a better place if it had a few more people like that in it.

Pretty much all the council tax in our area goes on the elderly.

And they're ring fenced as well.

I'm sort of expecting a bi-monthly bin collection service and no street lighting soon.