House Price Crash Forum

Tottenham (Bruce Grove)

Know the area well - sister lives approx. 100 yds away. The west side of Edmonton Green is nicer .......and it's close to station so you can get the hell out of there.

i've been watching prices around the station for a while. before the recent megabubble you could get a 3 bedder in decent condition for £250k. asking prices peaked around £350k. now they come on at around £325k and go STC around £280-290k.

i've been watching prices around the station for a while. before the recent megabubble you could get a 3 bedder in decent condition for £250k. asking prices peaked around £350k. now they come on at around £325k and go STC around £280-290k.

Quite unusual if sold prices are normally 10% under asking , does this stack up with land registry info ? What's your search range from the station ?

Interesting. I've recently bid on a place near Edmonton Green (two rejections). I used to fancy Leyton (and still do some of the stuff up by Whipps) but the 2013-14 Indian Summer Bubble, the creeping gentrification, and the fact that I now have 3 kids under 5 (so we're on one salary) means it's quickly become too dull and expensive.

Interesting. I've recently bid on a place near Edmonton Green (two rejections). I used to fancy Leyton (and still do some of the stuff up by Whipps) but the 2013-14 Indian Summer Bubble, the creeping gentrification, and the fact that I now have 3 kids under 5 (so we're on one salary) means it's quickly become too dull and expensive.

Think carefully about schools fancypants. Finding a decent secondary school in the area could be challenging ......

• 3 weeks later...

I lived in tottenham for 8 years until I sold my house last spring (for double what I paid for it!). There were very clear signs of gentrification in the streets around Philip Lane where we were. I never had any trouble there, but with a new baby we decided it was a good time to move. We ended up moving to South Woodford, which we really like so far. It does feel a lot safer, better schools, places to go out etc and like for like, house prices are similar though in SW generally the choice is between purpose built flats or large houses, not much in between. We got a very substantial 5 bed detached Victorian house for the price of a 2 bed flat in Stoke newington!

I lived in tottenham for 8 years until I sold my house last spring (for double what I paid for it!). There were very clear signs of gentrification in the streets around Philip Lane where we were. I never had any trouble there, but with a new baby we decided it was a good time to move. We ended up moving to South Woodford, which we really like so far. It does feel a lot safer, better schools, places to go out etc and like for like, house prices are similar though in SW generally the choice is between purpose built flats or large houses, not much in between. We got a very substantial 5 bed detached Victorian house for the price of a 2 bed flat in Stoke newington!

I have noticed a little gentification on the west green road. A couple of new restaurants, and a few posh sounding young couples getting off the bus after a city break.

I have noticed a little gentification on the west green road. A couple of new restaurants, and a few posh sounding young couples getting off the bus after a city break.

It will be interesting to see what type of purchasers take up the new properties being built between West Green Road and Phillip Lane . I believe its called Lawrence Square but its basically half of Lawrence Road and it's a sizeable development , more like Tottenham Hale in style.

Whoever occupies these properties has to be an improvement on the the hookers and drug dealers that used to frequent the area when the old abandoned warehouses lined the road.

It will be interesting to see what type of purchasers take up the new properties being built between West Green Road and Phillip Lane . I believe its called Lawrence Square but its basically half of Lawrence Road and it's a sizeable development , more like Tottenham Hale in style.

Whoever occupies these properties has to be an improvement on the the hookers and drug dealers that used to frequent the area when the old abandoned warehouses lined the road.

Interesting that tpsman refers to feeling safer in SW even though he didn't experience any trouble in time in Tottenham.

There is a definite vibe about the place that keeps you on your toes. I've been offered business at 7-15 am on west green rd whilst walking to tube.seven sisters without the hookers is like the ravens leaving the tower ....

Interesting that tpsman refers to feeling safer in SW even though he didn't experience any trouble in time in Tottenham.

There is a definite vibe about the place that keeps you on your toes. I've been offered business at 7-15 am on west green rd whilst walking to tube.seven sisters without the hookers is like the ravens leaving the tower ....

Sorry, where's SW? Not sure I would say I didn't experience any trouble in Tottenham (maybe you've mixed me up with someone else)

Here's some highlights we've had since 1981 to date:

Broadwater Farm riots in the 80s. Various members of my family have been egged (near White Hart Lane), held up at gunpoint (on the train to Bruce Grove), got involved in a major inter-school fight (train to Bruce Grove), threatened with knives (near Turnpike Lane), and mugged (at Seven Sisters station and near Turnpike Lane). I've had someone try to shoot me in the head with an airgun near Bruce Grove. We had all of the tyres stolen from the family car.

Those are the main ones that spring to mind, but there always used to be the feeling that I was going to get badly beaten up by dodgy kids (as had happened to many friends).

Whilst I was fortunate in not having any trouble during my time in tottenham I was very aware of all the bad stuff that did happen. I took the view that if we stayed there, eventually one of us would be in the wrong place at the wrong time. its nice living somewhere where you don't have to watch your back the whole time!

Tottenham will gentrify (parts of it anyway, the South and west would be my bet) but it will take time. Stoke Newington has been gentrifying for 20 years, and it is still quite crap in parts.

Whilst I was fortunate in not having any trouble during my time in tottenham I was very aware of all the bad stuff that did happen. I took the view that if we stayed there, eventually one of us would be in the wrong place at the wrong time. its nice living somewhere where you don't have to watch your back the whole time!

Tottenham will gentrify (parts of it anyway, the South and west would be my bet) but it will take time. Stoke Newington has been gentrifying for 20 years, and it is still quite crap in parts.

Do you mean gentrification of N15 then ?

Not too far away there is the Meridian Water development just getting underway, with the attendant improvement in rail services from Angel Road southwards. What with TfL taking over some of the other lines nearby, Crossrail2 in the offing, and even Ponders End in line for "regeneration" I'd say there is a clear direction of travel for the Lee Valley.

Of course, that's not to say that global macroeconomic conditions or political upheaval might not get in the way.

Do you mean gentrification of N15 then ?

N15 and the southern part of N17 around Philip Lane. I can't see the area to the East of the high road up to lansdowne road improving as quickly. The North up to white hart lane is very dependent on the spurs redevelopment, but the distance from decent transport will hold that area back

N15 and the southern part of N17 around Philip Lane. I can't see the area to the East of the high road up to lansdowne road improving as quickly. The North up to white hart lane is very dependent on the spurs redevelopment, but the distance from decent transport will hold that area back

The Spurs development is a strange one as its debatable whether a new stadium will add to the local economy . Yes the area needs money and lots of it but spurs will make sure they keep most of it.

Spurs got some sweeteners to stay and to help them with the redevelopment though, didn't they? They were ready to bail on N15 and move to Stratford, which wouldn't have looked good post-riots and Olympics, especially as they planned to flatten the white elephant stadium that was already there.

I agree that their remaining won't have massively uplifting effects on Tottenham (see also Beswick), but if they'd left it would probably have had negative effects

Spurs got some sweeteners to stay and to help them with the redevelopment though, didn't they? They were ready to bail on N15 and move to Stratford, which wouldn't have looked good post-riots and Olympics, especially as they planned to flatten the white elephant stadium that was already there.

I agree that their remaining won't have massively uplifting effects on Tottenham (see also Beswick), but if they'd left it would probably have had negative effects

The stadium situation is far from straight forward but is does appear that thfc are giving Haringey council a very cheap and large loan. If spurs left n17 it would be a tragedy in a historical sense but might be better for the area in the long term. Very little money from the football crowd finds it way into the local community,just look at how many pubs have gone.

Haringey council should have called Spurs bluff, let them move to stratford and get a new Westfield shopping centre built on the site with an extension to the Victoria line to serve it

A Victoria line extension isn't on the agenda and I think Haringey need spurs more than they let on. Always find it slightly bizarre that the new ground is only 200m away from enfield boundary,where Haringey have no influence.

A Victoria line extension isn't on the agenda and I think Haringey need spurs more than they let on. Always find it slightly bizarre that the new ground is only 200m away from enfield boundary,where Haringey have no influence.

Spurs also threatened to move to Enfield too, didn't they?