House Price Crash Forum

House Hunters Queue Overnight For Chance To Spend £400K On A One Bedroom Flat

longgone

HOLA441

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/house-hunters-queue-overnight-for-chance-to-spend-400k-on-a-one-bedroom-flat-9998005.html

Jo Cullen, 43, a fitness instructor from Folkestone in Kent, had been queuing in shifts with her brother and husband to buy a one-bedroom crashpad. She said: “My husband commutes into London so we want the flat in case he wants to stay over, or if we go the theatre we can stay and it’s not a long train journey back. By the time it’s built my eldest will be 16 or 17 so he might be able to use it if he comes up to London.

do fitness instructors earn much ????

Edited by longgone

HOLA442
do fitness instructors earn much ????

The article says the husband commutes into the city, he obviously earns the money. No mention on how the "law guy" is paying for it, inheritance, BOMAD, savings, who knows. I love the way the article implies the flats price and rent will go up and up and up as a matter of course.

It's embarrassing as a Brit to see my fellow country men reduced to this. It's a disgrace.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

If the developers haven't paid for that advert article I'll be very surprised. In fact I imagine many of the people in that queue were there at that time because they had applied weeks/months in advance and had been given an appointment for that time to see an 'advisor'. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I doubt it!

Yes, all stage managed for sure, surprised they didn't give them little scripts to say to the media........

HOLA446
HOLA447

http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/content/articles/2005/10/15/rotunda_skyline_for_sale_feature.shtml

Reminds me a bit of the Rotunda frenzy in Birmingham in 2008. Anyone know how resale prices have held up there?

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/79345-rotundaaaaa/page-3

..could do with an update

:D

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA448

More fool them, their life......many thousands of hours work input for that....is this what we have resorted to? ....live to work or work to live.

They are only buying because they think they will always be able to sell for more, because everybody wants one....cross rail the magic money maker, will see. ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

three hundred and seventy five thousand english pounds + stamp duty etc. to buy a one bed apartment off plan in stratford

a one bed apartment that looks as if it is about 500 sq ft

https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/find-your-home/england/london/stratford/chobham-manor/1-bed-coming-soon

As Mr Smith, who works in law, said: “It’s such a good area, spacious but central enough that you can see the city, and what with demand around here you can only hope it goes up in value."

The only experience I have of such queueing to purchase off plan was in Spain back in 2004 ish

And we all now what happened to that dream of ever increasing prices...

HOLA4416

Already know the routine.

Come early part of hpc, the softies will all be #TheyDidn'tKnowWhatTheyWereDoingVictimVictim

People have little choice. They are not as obsessed and knowledgable as people here.

which I guess makes them innocent for outbidding others by whack-crazy amounts, and to begin another 7 years of bailouts #NoMemoryPricesCanFall

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Those prices will be good value in 2115, these people are forward thinking entrepreneurs.

Often wonder how people who have the ability to earn such vast sums of money can be so fckn stupid.

The reason is that they don't earn it! They borrow it! Doesn't seem so vast when you are only paying 2% on top of the capital! When rent costs £1700 a month, http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-47992414.htmland a 2% repayment mortgage will cost the same, well, who is silly enough to rent!? Oh, I am! :wacko:

HOLA4419

As Mr Smith, who works in law, said: “It’s such a good area, spacious but central enough that you can see the city, and what with demand around here you can only hope it goes up in value."

From 2008, some of the same hpcers claimed buyers in the run up years to 2007 paying whack crazy amounts, were innocent, even when such buyers had also been creating spreadsheets at purchase, calculating their future HPI gains.

It's a market. We make our own decisions. Being deliberately dumb and stupid, shouldn't mean you are supported to have advantage over others, who held a completely different market view, when market conditions change.

HOLA4420

three hundred and seventy five thousand english pounds + stamp duty etc. to buy a one bed apartment off plan in stratford

https://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/find-your-home/england/london/stratford/chobham-manor/1-bed-coming-soon

The only experience I have of such queueing to purchase off plan was in Spain back in 2004 ish

And we all now what happened to that dream of ever increasing prices...

500 sq ft.

Which is just over 1 x 40 ft shipping container (320 sq ft ) + 1 x 20 ft container (160 sq ft) =480 sq ft

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4421

Hi

Wow, We passed that Marketing Suite in December (trip to the Velodrome, for a 1 hour cycle experience: that was excellent. You can see the Velodrome roof in the background to the queue pic).

Stratford is a long way out of London. The area is pretty bleak and unappetising (but in fairness it was winter).

But I suppose if money is worthless, why not grab anything physical while you can?

(I would buy wheelbarrows, but of course "money" is all electric now)

EDIT: sp

Edited by dryrot

HOLA4422

[deleted}

And from the description: "Open plan kitchen/living/dining room"

Which means you can't let it for social housing?

HOLA4423

The reason is that they don't earn it! They borrow it! Doesn't seem so vast when you are only paying 2% on top of the capital! When rent costs £1700 a month, http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-47992414.htmland a 2% repayment mortgage will cost the same, well, who is silly enough to rent!? Oh, I am! :wacko:

That is sad......well, who would be silly enough to live/work in a place that asks that much £1700 PM for that box...are some people going doolally?....nothing surprises me any more.....they may as well say the leasehold flats, high service charges, are half a million and the rents £2500 PM there will always be some mug that will buy it......especially if there is a queue......don't want to miss out now do we. :blink:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425