House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saver

Suitcases With Replaceable Wheels?

Hi there,

Every suitcase I have ever had as suffered from wheels wearing away to nothing within a few years, and I have never been able to find any wheels to replace them. So I end up replacing the case, which is costly and wasteful.

Does anyone know of a brand that one can buy that has wheels you can buy as replacement parts? Or if not I am just buying to cheaply and a very expensive suitcase would not have this problem? I do take between 10-15 trips per year for work so my wheels get an extensive workout. It probably does not help I like walk to hotels if its less than 45 min walk from a train station, so they often get dragged a long way!

Hi there,

Every suitcase I have ever had as suffered from wheels wearing away to nothing within a few years, and I have never been able to find any wheels to replace them. So I end up replacing the case, which is costly and wasteful.

Does anyone know of a brand that one can buy that has wheels you can buy as replacement parts? Or if not I am just buying to cheaply and a very expensive suitcase would not have this problem? I do take between 10-15 trips per year for work so my wheels get an extensive workout. It probably does not help I like walk to hotels if its less than 45 min walk from a train station, so they often get dragged a long way!

Yep your names gives it away, still a suitcase every few years is a drop in the ocean compared to the taxi fares you have saved. I have the same problem with shoes, can wear through a good pair of Clarks in a matter of weeks.

Hi there,

Found in the past that paying for the extra quality really is worth it in this area. I bought 2 Samsonite leather bags about 2000 and they lasted 10 years. Unfortunately the zips went and they got horribly scuffed up so I replaced them with another Samsonite.

With Samsonite you get the guarantee, which I never tried to claim on before. I don't think their newer stuff is as good as the old bags, and leather laptop bags etc have got very expensive in the past few years - some of them can cost a fortune. When I go on a trip with the mega laptop I nowadays take something with wheels because the weight of the industrial strength laptop is enormous.

If you like your walking and are good at ironing maybe the rucksack is the answer !

http://www.luggagesuperstore.co.uk/samsonite-guardit-laptop-backpack-large-43-9cm17-3inch-black/p4582?gclid=CNbA2d_ZrMMCFQQTwwod53sAog

Hi there,

No problem with replacement wheels for Antler or Delsey .... http://www.saddler.co.uk/shop.html?cr=3182&cdesc=replacement_suitcase_wheels

I am all for saving money where possible, but there is such a thing as false economy and IMO very cheap suitcases are one such.

A former colleague who was addicted to buying everything as cheaply as poss used to go on holiday at least 3 times a year and had to replace her dirt-cheap suitcases at least once a year. Plus there was all the hassle of wheels coming off, or zips or handles breaking while she was actually using the thing. But she could never bring herself to shell out for a good quality one.

Why not go on holiday naked and avoid these difficult baggage issues?

I have never had a wheeled suitcase, I prefer to carry luggage by hand or on back.

+1

I made a canvas kitbag when I was a student. Still got it.

Hate wheeled cases.

I like the way the suitcase is camouflaged, so nobody can find it at the airport!

I agree, wheeled cases, WTF?

You realise everyone that sees you thinks you're a contestant on The Apprentice?

:lol:

I couldn't agree more, never had a wheeled suitcase, never will.

Actually, we don't use suitcases at all these days. you get far more into the car if it's all in squash-able plastic bags.

I use a rucksack when I'm travelling, which can comfortably carry 20kg loads around airports, along streets, etc.

I'm in my forties and have never owned a suitcase. What am I missing out on?

Nothing.

We were given one to take on a visit to my mums. She has a gravel drive so part of it's use is defunct there anyway and tbh it's easier to carry the thing.

I use a rucksack when I'm travelling, which can comfortably carry 20kg loads around airports, along streets, etc.

Tripping fellow travellers over, whacking their shins, good stuff like that.

My 65l Karrimor pack, with straps that zip away into a panel, is 25 years old, has travelled a lot and will probably outlive me.

well, I wouldn't argue strongly in favour of the suitcase, but maybe some slight advantage is the state of the clothes when you get there. It's a bit different if you are business travelling compared to tourist. Getting suits jackets inside the rucksack and out uncrumpled at the other side is a bit miserable and easier with a hard suitcase.

A hard suitcase will also protect things better going down the chute - if you travel on business you are liable to put all sorts of stuff in the case - tools, test equipment etc, and is lockable, whereas with a rucksack you always have pockets and stuff that you can't secure. Finally you never have to go to the weird place (outsize luggage or something like that) to pick up the gear.

When I am a tourist I normally use a rucksack, but on business normally a hard case/rolling toolbox that contains tools and clothes, it's better for my purposes.

Posh baggage is all w!nk! My boss once laughed at my brown cardboard suitcase, on a business trip. He thought it looked like I was off to boarding school in the 1960s. I don't need wheels on it, since some man with a trolley will move it for me, for a consideration.

I am all for saving money where possible, but there is such a thing as false economy and IMO very cheap suitcases are one such.

A former colleague who was addicted to buying everything as cheaply as poss used to go on holiday at least 3 times a year and had to replace her dirt-cheap suitcases at least once a year. Plus there was all the hassle of wheels coming off, or zips or handles breaking while she was actually using the thing. But she could never bring herself to shell out for a good quality one.

Yes I think I agree its a false economy....it may well be cheaper to buy something expensive once, rather than cheap 5 times!

Yes I think I agree its a false economy....it may well be cheaper to buy something expensive once, rather than cheap 5 times!

After some research I purchased a really strong cabin case size from JL saturn was the name on it cost about £50 about 8 or 9 years ago...great case, wheels have had some right rough treatment pulled through all sorts inc cobbled streets, try to keep the noise down at night. and in quiet areas.....I think made by samsonite might be wrong, had a look similar are more than double the price now it seems. ;)

After some research I purchased a really strong cabin case size from JL saturn was the name on it cost about £50 about 8 or 9 years ago...great case, wheels have had some right rough treatment pulled through all sorts inc cobbled streets, try to keep the noise down at night. and in quiet areas.....I think made by samsonite might be wrong, had a look similar are more than double the price now it seems. ;)

How many lingerie sets and sex-boots can it hold? :unsure: