House Price Crash Forum

The Largest Photograph Ever Taken

HOLA441

or the biggest thing photographed?

Bear in mind that all the tiny dots you see aren't grain, but (individual or more likely multiple) stars, light years apart:

A journey into the Andromeda galaxy, made with an image from the Hubble. "It is the biggest Hubble image ever released and shows over 100 million stars and thousands of star clusters embedded in a section of the galaxys pancake-shaped disc stretching across over 40 000 light-years"

From the YT comments:

"The numbers here are stunning: the image is 69,636x22,230, or 1.5 billion pixels. Andromeda has around 1 trillion stars, which translates to an average density of around 1,000 stars per pixel. In the out reaches of the galaxy, you see individual stars, but near the bulge, they are impossibly crowded, even in this high-resolution image.

There are around 200 billion galaxies like Andromeda in the observable universe."

HOLA442

Mind boggling. My little brain can't comprehend the size of the universe and just think, for every Andromeda star the ECB will print 1 euro! Seriously, thanks for posting, beautiful. It's inconceivable to think there is no intelligent life out there.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Has anyone got a link to the actual full picture, I'm wondering what kind of processer power might be needed for it to actually render?

Given that a 1080 screen is a taj over 2m pixels and an image that size loads in a flash on my best desktop, it's only 700 odd times the size so can't see it being that much of an issue!

HOLA446

so, we already knew those facts about Andromeda, is this what we pay to have hubble do, produce press releases?

How about an actual picture of a nearby planet that they claim to have discovered?

HOLA447

"There are around 200 billion galaxies like Andromeda in the observable universe."

And each galaxy has billions of stars with planetary systems. But Earth is the only place that life exists, funny old universe!

HOLA448

The chance creation of life is so unusual, I for one am open minded about the possibility that the earth is unique.

No evidence, sure. But that's analogous to looking out your back window into the garden and proclaiming that there's no evidence that zebra exist! (assuming you don't live in a zoo, of course)

I'm no mathematician, but the probabilities are phenomenally weighted against us being the only living planet, surely?

HOLA449

And each galaxy has billions of stars with planetary systems. But Earth is the only place that life exists, funny old universe!

In that sense, Earth is actually more 'important' than the rest of the universe combined. Forget about ol' Sagan's pale blue dot propaganda then.

HOLA4410

so, we already knew those facts about Andromeda, is this what we pay to have hubble do, produce press releases?

It does do a good bit of Science, but most of the scientific data is difficult to understand or not interesting for a lay person to look at. However, some data is iconic because of its aesthetics. Why not revel in it?

The thing people forget about space is how far away things are. If you point the Hubble at Pluto, you see a pixellated blob 3 pixels wide by 3 pixels high. Scientific work tends to involves precision measurement of brightness or spectrum, or playing "spot the difference".

HOLA4411

It does do a good bit of Science, but most of the scientific data is difficult to understand or not interesting for a lay person to look at. However, some data is iconic because of its aesthetics. Why not revel in it?

The thing people forget about space is how far away things are. If you point the Hubble at Pluto, you see a pixellated blob 3 pixels wide by 3 pixels high. Scientific work tends to involves precision measurement of brightness or spectrum, or playing "spot the difference".

Oh I am revelling in it...Astronomy was always an interest since being a kid, what with posters of the rings of Saturn, craters on the moon and everything else. And of course, we were actually going there then, what with Saturn V, men on the moon in fuzzy grey pictures, marvelous stuff.

And if you can find a dark spot in the UK, the sky is truly magnificent.

however mathematically speaking:

• It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.

The above statement is very clever, but in an infinite space with infinite worlds, even the number of inhabited worlds will be infinite. So wrong.

HOLA4412

Oh I am revelling in it...Astronomy was always an interest since being a kid, what with posters of the rings of Saturn, craters on the moon and everything else. And of course, we were actually going there then, what with Saturn V, men on the moon in fuzzy grey pictures, marvelous stuff.

however mathematically speaking:

• It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination.
The above statement is very clever, but in an infinite space with infinite worlds, even the number of inhabited worlds will be infinite. So wrong.

A better estimating tool is the Drake equation

I have heard that Andromeda is far larger in the sky than appears to the naked eye, several times larger than the moon, but the outer stars are too faint to see.

I have this feeling that we'll eventually get to some of these places far off into the future and discover new life forms but actually they are simpply the result of evolution from stuff we sent out earlier.

The poo-people and puke-people have already evolved from the bacteria in the discarded Apollo mission waste bags left on the moon, and are soon to go to war with each other.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

How about an actual picture of a nearby planet that they claim to have discovered?

What like this one ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fomalhaut_b

Direct imaging of planets is pretty difficult and somewhat tenuous, even with a telescope like hubble. The JWST will do a better job if and when it gets into orbit.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Mind boggling. My little brain can't comprehend the size of the universe and just think, for every Andromeda star the ECB will print 1 euro! Seriously, thanks for posting, beautiful. It's inconceivable to think there is no intelligent life out there.

I think it was Feynmann who said we should stop calling large numbers 'astronomical' and start calling them 'economical'.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

A better estimating tool is the Drake equation

I have heard that Andromeda is far larger in the sky than appears to the naked eye, several times larger than the moon, but the outer stars are too faint to see.

The poo-people and puke-people have already evolved from the bacteria in the discarded Apollo mission waste bags left on the moon, and are soon to go to war with each other.

I believe I have seen that film!

HOLA4422

I think it was Feynmann who said we should stop calling large numbers 'astronomical' and start calling them 'economical'.

I wish he had been my Physics teacher!

HOLA4423

Oh I am revelling in it...Astronomy was always an interest since being a kid, what with posters of the rings of Saturn!

The rings around Uranus are harder to see, so the pronunciation was changed to stop any innuendo! :blink:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived