House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dave Beans

Ed Sheeran - Why?

Yet another blandie to fill our airwaves...I do find him moderately offensive...Its for people who buy all their music in Asda..He's the James Corden of the music world..

His current sound bite on MTV is something like "I take a situation from my past that was very painful and turn it into something beautiful". No sense of irony at all,nothing.

:D

To be fair if you write music it tends to come from the less happy moments - unless you are a Brill Building type composer when it's more a production line. If you are a happy soul you probably don't have time to wallow and question.

But back to OP. I don't really get him, nice enough lad but nothing too memorable or connecting. Like a lot of modern music, a lot of style over substance catering for an X Factor dumbed down audience. Don't get me started on One Direction. What is that phenomenon about?

I went to see him live. Gets up on stage alone with a guitar and a wee foot pedal ting that can loop 4 bars and does the whole concert like that. Incredibly talented.

Yes, he can sing, but its boring...there's no differentiation between him and a boyband singer...there's no soul in his voice..

I rather get the feeling that the people that buy music from the Ed Sheerans, Adeles etc of this world are actually rather older.

If you target the young, they're not going to shell out for CD's or downloads. So, from a music industry point of view it really makes sense to target the tastes of the population bulge who happily may also put their hands in their pockets.

The result of that is having virtually the same music for decades topping the charts but older people thinking they are still up to date because firstly the people performing for them are young and secondly they top the charts.

I think its a bit of a mixture...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Sheeran#2014:_X

On 8 October 2014, Sheeran released the music video to the album's third single, "Thinking Out Loud", where he dances with his leading lady. The video achieved almost three million views within 24 hours from its release.[72] In November 2014, Sheeran announced that he will play London's Wembley Stadium on 10 July 2015 as part of his x world tour; it is his biggest solo headlining.[4] After massive pre-sales, further two dates were added on 11 and 12 July.[5] In December 2014, Spotify named Sheeran the most-streamed artist in the world for his accumulating more than 860 million streams in 2014.[73] The album also earned Sheeran the distinction of being iTunes's biggest-selling artist in the United Kingdom, Ireland and the New Zealand for the same year.[74][75]

I went to see him live. Gets up on stage alone with a guitar and a wee foot pedal ting that can loop 4 bars and does the whole concert like that. Incredibly talented.

... and he does not need to split the fee with anyone else (he is form Hebden Bridge after all).

Met him once backstage, very nice young man not so keen on his music slightly too bland for me. Each to their own.

Met him once backstage, very nice young man not so keen on his music slightly too bland for me. Each to their own.

I'd describe him as beige. That Sam Smith is another one.

Him and Adele are about the only acts that have roused my interest over the last few years; very good songwriters both.

Except Adele has songs that are already true classics.

Seems like a nice person but this fad comes along every few years. Last one was Jack Johnson I think.

Two ways to make a memorable song. One is to write an instant classic. Another is for people to hear it so much that it becomes familiar. I think this is the later. Record company just found something that works. I have music on my Spotify that I enjoy but isn't really any good I'm just familiar with it.

He is dominating the Spotify top 100.

Except Adele has songs that are already true classics.

Seems like a nice person but this fad comes along every few years. Last one was Jack Johnson I think.

Two ways to make a memorable song. One is to write an instant classic. Another is for people to hear it so much that it becomes familiar. I think this is the later. Record company just found something that works. I have music on my Spotify that I enjoy but isn't really any good I'm just familiar with it.

He is dominating the Spotify top 100.

Another one was Newton Faulkner...Its typical wedding first dance music fodder for people who have an uninspiring taste...

Michael Buble was another simpering ***** I'd never get tired of punching

"I just haven't met you yet"

Cringe

Gets up on stage alone with a guitar and a wee foot pedal ting that can loop 4 bars and does the whole concert like that. Incredibly talented.

Is this a joke? There are children of 8 who could do this with any number of instruments.

Cringe

Cringe

I'm rather fond of Michael Buble.

Ed Sheeran is bland, bland... bland as is James Blunt.

"Love is a revolver firing clichés in the sky".

Could be a good thread if we opened it up to include other artists.

I'm rather fond of Michael Buble.

Ed Sheeran is bland, bland... bland as is James Blunt.

"Love is a revolver firing clichés in the sky".

Could be a good thread if we opened it up to include other artists.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/19/james-blunts-letter-chris-bryant-in-full

Dear Chris Bryant MP,

You classist gimp. I happened to go to a boarding school. No one helped me at boarding school to get into the music business. I bought my first guitar with money I saved from holiday jobs (sandwich packing!). I was taught the only four chords I know by a friend. No one at school had ANY knowledge or contacts in the music business, and I was expected to become a soldier or a lawyer or perhaps a stockbroker. So alien was it, that people laughed at the idea of me going into the music business, and certainly no one was of any use.

In the army, again, people thought it was a mad idea. None of them knew anyone in the business either.

And when I left the army, going against everyone’s advice, EVERYONE I met in the British music industry told me there was no way it would work for me because I was too posh. One record company even asked if I could speak in a different accent. (I told them I could try Russian).

Every step of the way, my background has been AGAINST me succeeding in the music business. And when I have managed to break through, I was STILL scoffed at for being too posh for the industry.

And then you come along, looking for votes, telling working class people that posh people like me don’t deserve it, and that we must redress the balance. But it is your populist, envy-based, vote-hunting ideas which make our country crap, far more than me and my shit songs, and my plummy accent.

I got signed in America, where they don’t give a stuff about, or even understand what you mean by me and “my ilk”, you prejudiced wazzock, and I worked my **** off. What you teach is the politics of jealousy. Rather than celebrating success and figuring out how we can all exploit it further as the Americans do, you instead talk about how we can hobble that success and “level the playing field”. Perhaps what you’ve failed to realise is that the only head-start my school gave me in the music business, where the VAST majority of people are NOT from boarding school, is to tell me that I should aim high. Perhaps it protected me from your kind of narrow-minded, self-defeating, lead-us-to-a-dead-end, remove-the-‘G’-from-‘GB’ thinking, which is to look at others’ success and say, “it’s not fair.”

Up yours,

James Cucking Funt

Not a fan of James Blunt music wise, I wouldn't buy it but I'm not offended by it, however he does appear to have a sense of humour and does take the p155 out of his own 5h1t music.