House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Vote For Change - Comparing Manifestos

You can do a little test here, to see how the current policies of each of the major parties measure up..

http://voteforpolicies.org.uk/

You do realise that a lot of them are fairly bland & generic..

I'm 71% Green, 14% Lib Dem and 14% UKIP..

Edited by Dave Beans

heavy stuff for 8 am.

Me...Ukip 50% Tories for democracy and greens on welfare.

My constituency (673 surveys done) showed 33% green, 18% lab, 13% libdem, which is interesting from a sitting secure libdem point of view. However the Green Party of England and Wales isn't standing here, wheras the SNP is. The survey seems England-specific.

A lot of the choices were pretty similar and it was hard to spot exactly which party was which!

It would be much better if you could upvote and down policies

I.e. if for example Labour have 2 policies on the environment you could say I really like x and really hate y.

Of course it would be a lot more work.

Hi All.

I run the company that have spent the last few months building the new version of the website you've mentioned here for the 2015 General Election. New Parties and policies are now in it. If you have time, give it a go!

K

Hi All.

I run the company that have spent the last few months building the new version of the website you've mentioned here for the 2015 General Election. New Parties and policies are now in it. If you have time, give it a go!

K

I got bored after q1.

UKIP 50%

Conservative 25%

Labour 25%

Basically, I was against all of the following. Giving people money for nothing, higher rate taxes, low interest rates and leaving the EU.

Edited by Bruce Banner

I backed out on seeing the first question. The options look far too open to misinterpretation. To take one example, if I tick "Health / NHS", I doubt that'll be interpreted as "yes, health is important and should be put ahead of our horribly bloated and dysfunctional waste of money misnamed the NHS". Or if I tick environment, is there a risk I just ticked someone's anti-nuclear (or even anti-capitalist) box?

Someone please tell me if I'm being over-cynical and later questions make more sense?

I backed out on seeing the first question. The options look far too open to misinterpretation. To take one example, if I tick "Health / NHS", I doubt that'll be interpreted as "yes, health is important and should be put ahead of our horribly bloated and dysfunctional waste of money misnamed the NHS". Or if I tick environment, is there a risk I just ticked someone's anti-nuclear (or even anti-capitalist) box?

Someone please tell me if I'm being over-cynical and later questions make more sense?

I made assumptions, such as. if I ticked "Health/NHS", it would for the purposes of the survey assume I was in favour of throwing unlimited funds at the NHS, so I didn't tick it. Getting 50% UKIP after not favouring leaving the EU was a pleasant surprise.

Good resource is the FAQ:

"We're working with the political parties to make sure the issues reflect the policies they are focussing on for the 2015 general election, so there may be changes to the Issues when the election manifestos are released. "

The question of selecting issues is purely based on the what issues are important to you (what influences your voting decision). If you select defence for instance, you will then be asked to chose which policy set (from every party) you prefer.

Every party has supplied policy sets for every issue, therefore, for every issue you choose that's important to you, you will be presented with a policy set supplied by each of the parties. It will be up to you which policy set you select as your preference.

The policy sets are not edited by vote for policies, they are added to the application as supplied by the parties.

Hope this makes sense?

See my previous post, hope it makes sense. For every issue, environment included, you will get to see policy sets from EVERY party. It will be up to you to choose which you prefer. The application doesn't do anything other than allow you to choose which policies you prefer and at the end will tell you who they belonged to.

I came out 50% Green, 30% UKIP and 20% LibDem

It is right in presenting the full policy PACKAGES available. You are forced to take the whole plank of policy in an area not pick and mix. This helps with deciding how to vote on the day,

Nice site

I came out 50% Green, 30% UKIP and 20% LibDem

It is right in presenting the full policy PACKAGES available. You are forced to take the whole plank of policy in an area not pick and mix. This helps with deciding how to vote on the day,

Nice site

Thanks. The site launched today with only a twitter account and word of mouth to market it and we've already had 4000 users compete the survey. There have been consistently 300-400 people taking the survey all afternoon

That is just to select which areas you want to see and decide on. You can choose 'all' and see policies from all policy areas.

Very interesting and much better now. I like the ability to quickly eliminate some choices (though there should be an easy option to un-eliminate them to for when you get over-eager!).

I got 40% Scottish Green, 40% SNP and 20% UKIP.

There's only one question per topic, so the checkboxes are merely which questions you want to do. If you tick 4 boxes you get 4 questions, and so on. There is only 1 question per topic in their database IIRC.

Should just check em all really IMO so you get asked all questions.

I like the site.

It surprised me - 50% Green 50% UKIP - what does that say about my personality?

Although it was very much a case of favouring certain policies in a set and ignoring others. There were very few cases where I thought a party had a full set of policies I would eagerly back on any particular issue. That's party politics for you.

I wish I could pick bits of policies. I.e. for crime I thought that all parties for crime had at least one sensible policy.

For example who could disagree with

"We will make it mandatory for people working in institutions which have a duty of care to report child sex abuse."

Which I think is rather amazingly a Labour party policy.