House Price Crash Forum
Executive Sadman

What The Tories Have Reduced People To...

From the aerial photograph it seems that the building is currently part of a larger farm/rural business property? and, at a guess, the farm/business owner is selling it off to raise money? AND, I'll bet, that said owner has colluded in and knowingly allowed the building being used for unauthorised dwelling use? a source of illicit rental income?

I'd bet that anyone buying this with the intention of continuing to use it as a low cost 'home' will likely find the seller making sure that this does not happen, by way of notifying the authorities etc.

Or maybe it's only being sold now precisely because the authorities finally found out it was an unauthorised dwelling - and the owner is unable to derive any further income from it?

That said, however, the inhabitants have, withing the limitations of the structure, made the place look reasonably homely? Must be freezing in winter though?

The point of the thread though is well taken. I am sick of seeing these various obviously 'desperate', though admittedly often creative, attempts to create low cost housing for. presumably, those of very limited means and/or not wanting to be reliant on the state. The mere fact that a 'market' for such properties exists is proof positive of the failure of socio-economic policy in respect of housing in this country. No one should have to resort to live in such conditions in the 21st century.

The listing states:

[The barn] has been internally converted into a dwelling and has been lived in for a number of years. However, there is no planning permission in place and the local authority have said they will not consider a change of use to residential.

So Farmer Giles was using it as illicit accommodation for his sub-minimum wage Eastern European labourers and then got busted?

Based on the framed aerial photo of the farm above the bed, I'm going to wager that it was farmer Giles himself living in the barn.

That then frees up the farmhouse to be rented out.

More money to be made from farming people than farming animals :-(

>[The barn] has been internally converted into a dwelling and has been lived in for a number of years. However, there is no planning permission in place and the local authority have said they will not consider a change of use to residential.

If it has been used as a dwelling for four years then they can get a Lawful Development Certificate, no planning permission required. You go through the council legal department rather than the planning department.

Resident 1 Council 0

>[The barn] has been internally converted into a dwelling and has been lived in for a number of years. However, there is no planning permission in place and the local authority have said they will not consider a change of use to residential.

Good to see first hand the council making housing unaffordable.

Surely that's the real message of this thread. The insanity of the planning system. It'll take a war for any serious reform though. :(

Or a huge cut in their budget and them needing to sell planning permits far cheaper.

Got their pension ponzi scheme to keep going.

Didn't you know a barn or a shed is now the first step on the housing ladder....I hope the council found them a better more comfortable next step.

If you think that's bad check this out:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44055380.html

It's an old railway carriage, bizarrely it's had a house built round it, but the place is unfit for habitation and has to be knocked down. There is no planning permission for anything else at present.

Yours for just ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS! :lol:

Edited by Austin Allegro

If you think that's bad check this out:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44055380.html

It's an old railway carriage, bizarrely it's had a house built round it, but the place is unfit for habitation and has to be knocked down. There is no planning permission for anything else.

Yours for just ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS! :lol:

It was first up at £130k...100 is still laughably expensive for what is essentially a building plot in March (with the additional cost of demolition probable asbestos removal etc) Similar plots are under £50k

Surprised some enterprising bod like ajay ahuja hasnt stuffed 86 pole's in there...this is his stomping ground.

It was first up at £130k...100 is still laughably expensive for what is essentially a building plot in March (with the additional cost of demolition probable asbestos removal etc) Similar plots are under £50k

Surprised some enterprising bod like ajay ahuja hasnt stuffed 86 pole's in there...this is his stomping ground.

The only possible value could be its proximity to the railway but I don't even think March is on a main line to anywhere.

It's strange to think that old railway carriages were, in the 1920s, the absolute lowest form of accommodation that were lived in by semi-tramps. There was a national scandal that returning war heroes had to live in them. But as far as I know, they lived in them rent free, they didn't have to pay £100k for them.

The only possible value could be its proximity to the railway but I don't even think March is on a main line to anywhere.

It's strange to think that old railway carriages were, in the 1920s, the absolute lowest form of accommodation that were lived in by semi-tramps. There was a national scandal that returning war heroes had to live in them. But as far as I know, they lived in them rent free, they didn't have to pay £100k for them.

Do you know the fens at all? Go around some of the wilder bits and there are still plenty of old people living in things that are little more than shacks. 15 years ago they were selling for 5 or 6 grand. Now 50 grand as a potential building plot.

Do you know the fens at all? Go around some of the wilder bits and there are still plenty of old people living in things that are little more than shacks. 15 years ago they were selling for 5 or 6 grand. Now 50 grand as a potential building plot.

I didn't know that. I find it odd though that although property in Cambridge is much the same price as Oxford, properties in the countryside around Cambridge seem much cheaper than those around Oxford. Perhaps it could be that build quality is lower in Cambs than Oxon, and of course the countryside is bleaker and colder on that side of the country.

I didn't know that. I find it odd though that although property in Cambridge is much the same price as Oxford, properties in the countryside around Cambridge seem much cheaper than those around Oxford. Perhaps it could be that build quality is lower in Cambs than Oxon, and of course the countryside is bleaker and colder on that side of the country.

Depends where you go...south of Cambridge within 15 miles your beginning to get into London commuter belt.

North of Cambridge its wages...difficult to find jobs paying much more than minimum wage once north of Ely.

Depends where you go...south of Cambridge within 15 miles your beginning to get into London commuter belt.

North of Cambridge its wages...difficult to find jobs paying much more than minimum wage once north of Ely.

Interesting - I assumed most of Cambs was now a dormitory for Cambridge, Peterborough or London. I may start searching there as I am a remote-worker anyway. I'm not too keen on those winds that blow straight off the Urals though!