House Price Crash Forum

Reduce Mortgage 50% By Re-Mortgaging Into Euro's...

HOLA441

Wouldn't it feel incredible to reduce a mortgage by 50%...?

It certainly would for me -- 'specially since I've had negative equity hanging over my head since 2007...

And with the Euro looking like it will continue to devalue against GBP, USD and any other currency well into 2016, perhaps the following opportunity applies:

Today, Martin Armstrong wrote...

"If you have loans, convert to Euros. You may see them almost halved in the future"

Now, being the naive property investor that I am, I have no idea how well that translates to mortgages. Especially for me with negative equity... which means something like a 120% loan-to-value remortgage.

Very keen to hear your view!

TB

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

You should ask the 300,000 polish or 100,000 croatians how they feel about their swiss franc mortgages they took out 5 years ago.

Or the Russians about their USD loans.

The EUR is currently weak but as 2007-2009 showed when the pound dropped from EUR 1.49 to parity these things can change rapidly. Then your loans would suddenly increase by 50%...

You would take onboard a significant FX risk that you cannot hedge out; this is a risky idea especially on a mortgage which long term and has full recourse to you as a person.

HOLA445
HOLA446

By the time you get the Mortgage set up, you will be just in time for the rise of the Euro?

Quite often I feel we are being misled or set up.

This Idea just looks to good to be true. (and this is not normally a good)

Crazy but I think fixing it in US$ would be more profitable in the long run.