House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
canny man

Yanks Are Tightening The Belt As Well

Missed that one, good find. If the US consumer stops consuming, then a lot of economies are going to stop as well. Global job losses, HPC etc etc.

There will be a lot of already worried economists watching this little change very closely. Sentiment in the US housing market change a few months ago. This is the first significant indication that that sentiment may be spilling over into the general economy.

What's puzzled me is the info and mis-info about.

Cinema attendances are at 20 year record highs - (and dvd sales must boost the industry too) but the cinema industry is moaning how badly they're doing.

Is this a case of film stars getting paid too much?

I also think the football bubble is long overdue for popping too - how can these players justify huge salarys? And with Utd doing not so hot at the moment that geezer who paid all that cash for them might not be so happy.

I believe the cinema industry makes most of its money from selling food and drinks: the movies are just there to get people into the cinema to buy them.

If people continue going to the cinema but cut back on the hugely-overpriced food and drinks, then you can have record attendance and big losses.

What's puzzled me is the info and mis-info about.

Cinema attendances are at 20 year record highs - (and dvd sales must boost the industry too) but the cinema industry is moaning how badly they're doing.

Is this a case of film stars getting paid too much?

I also think the football bubble is long overdue for popping too - how can these players justify huge salarys? And with Utd doing not so hot at the moment that geezer who paid all that cash for them might not be so happy.

Do you mean American Football? Those men get so beat up, they live in pain for the rest of their life.

Edited to add, I believe the slow down has to do with the price of gas. We are having recond cold temps in the middle of the country, and drive big SUVs. Yanks have felt gas prices in a sirous way.

Edited by Karen

cripes, yes. Fans of every club are beginning to question the value in shelling out £50 plus on a weekly basis (including travel, not including kids if you wanna take em) for an experience much less thrilling than it was ten or twenty years ago. And by this I mean the fans who would traditionally be more loyal.

Player wages have long since lost sight of reality, there's a massive correction due here.

In United's case, what might save them is the simple fact that the vast majority of clubs are in the schtup. As in the broader economy, the recession would be a great leveller.

I'm doing my bit for "the worst Christmas in decades" - shorting the retail market by selling all of my unwanted consumer goods on ebay.

I'm getting decent prices too - there is demand for a bargain out there. I have recently also offloaded my expensive car and gone back to basics with a £1000 motor. Running costs easily halved.

The problem they have is that blockbusters are the only things now getting people into the seats - i.e. Spiderman, Lord of the Rings, etc, etc.

Narnia, depending on who you believe, cost about 85 million bucks to make but will probably cost in the region of 200 -250 million to market globally. It has to make that money back - which it probably wil ldo - but it will make it back over a X year period.

In other words, studios are getting back to the dangerous days of betting the farm on one single film per year. If they get a turkey then a studio can go bankrupt. They have done so in the past.

The other problem that Hollywood is now seeing is that a lot of the one time A list stars are basically over the hill... yet still commanding 15, 20 million bucks plus a cut per film. The younger generation has not really replaced them in terms of getting bums on seats in the way that a 'Harrison Ford' used to, perhaps still does.

What many people do not realise is that the studios spend hundreds of millions per year buying and developing scripts that are never made into films. Then they have a whole host of films that are made that never get released in the cinema - some go onto DVD.

This Christmas, an awful lot is depending upon Potter, Narnia and Kong!

fetishpartner_16745669.jpg

Edited by The Masked Tulip

cripes, yes. Fans of every club are beginning to question the value in shelling out £50 plus on a weekly basis (including travel, not including kids if you wanna take em) for an experience much less thrilling than it was ten or twenty years ago. And by this I mean the fans who would traditionally be more loyal.

Player wages have long since lost sight of reality, there's a massive correction due here.

In United's case, what might save them is the simple fact that the vast majority of clubs are in the schtup. As in the broader economy, the recession would be a great leveller.

Short-termism is the word!

They have benefitted since the massive income from the TV companies.

Sticking up their seating prices for matches too - all that is really left at footy games are the 'ageing' middle aged.

Youngsters have far more things to attract their attention and money these days and I reckon within 20 yrs football will be a 'minority' interest!

"As a result, total US consumer debt totalled $2.157 trillion in October, compared to $2.164 trillion in September."

Melt-down? That might be stretching it a bit. (0.003%)

THe $2.164 Trillionnnnnnnnnnnnnn has already been spunked. So your percentage is not indicative of the thrust of the article.

THe percentage is indeed a bit on the tiny side- but what's the impact of a reversal in consumer debt appetite with inflation at 4.5%? I don't know, but it sounds like a tipping point.

The article is misleading. It looks like the BBC picked it up from Reuters, who failed to point out that this is an annualised percentage based on a single month. The actual month on month drop was 0.32%.

From the the published Fed statistical data:

August's figure was +6.5% (annualised)

September was +2.2%

So, could be the start of a trend, but it's too early to say this is a tipping point.

"As a result, total US consumer debt totalled $2.157 trillion in October, compared to $2.164 trillion in September."

Melt-down? That might be stretching it a bit. (0.003%)

I have worked in retail before. These drops are In October...In general people spend money on the autumn. The "Christmas" season starts in August with back to school. Maybe a little drop is normal for October...I have my doubts tho.

October is also the month the min on CC went up, and people really started to feel higher energy prices.

Edited by Karen

Youngsters have far more things to attract their attention and money these days and I reckon within 20 yrs football will be a 'minority' interest!

much sooner than that I suspect!

there could be a "perfect storm" brewing for the football industry. Against the backdrop of a broader recession, it can only be accentuated.

But it's not a meltdown.

Reduction of consumer debt is in any case a good thing, it could not have grown for ever.

you're a bit gunshy these days BTB. Surely the gratuitous use of the word "meltdown" qualifies for an "Apocalypt of the week" award? Or at least an honourable mention?

;)

Do you mean American Football? Those men get so beat up, they live in pain for the rest of their life.

Edited to add, I believe the slow down has to do with the price of gas. We are having recond cold temps in the middle of the country, and drive big SUVs. Yanks have felt gas prices in a sirous way.

Karen,

Except for the US, Canada and Australia; "Football" = soccer.