House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

long time lurking

Paying For The Party

Unless the party invite contained a clause stating that a no-show fee would be payable, how would this ever be enforceable anyway?

All it's likely to achieve is that no one will attend their child's birthday parties ever again. I can see the kid telling his therapist all about this in 20 years time!

It's the society that has been created through constant state nannying, and bailouts. People think that any sort of loss or inconvenience is a violation against them and that the violator somehow had a duty of care not to offend their precious sensibilities.

What they need is a bloody good HPC to give them something more real to twist their knickers about.

Bad manners.

Bad manners not to have said the kid couldn't come; absolute crassness to demand payment.

If they could afford a dry ski slope for a bunch of five year olds, you'd think they could absorb a no-show.

Does anyone do kids' parties with pass the parcel, mini sandwiches and fairy cakes any more?

What they need is a bloody good HPC to give them something more real to twist their knickers about.

I think any woman who acts like that really needs something getting into her knickers - sorry to be crude, but uptight, self-opinionated...

Bad manners on the part of the mum who found something better to do with their kid. Common decency suggests she should at least have let her know to reduce the costs.

Birthday party mum should have had a bash round here house with a cake candles, bobbing apples and a treasure hunt. Loads of fun and minimal cost.. Trouble is these days everyone tries to outdo everyone else. This behaviour is encouraged in the schools as well. Look at the end of year balls where parents all try to outdo each other dropping their kids off.

I think any woman who acts like that really needs something getting into her knickers - sorry to be crude, but uptight, self-opinionated...

Julie Lawrence - can't see if she's wearing any in that photograph ...

24D655B800000578-2916379-Defence_The_bir

Birthday party mum should have had a bash round here house with a cake candles, bobbing apples and a treasure hunt. Loads of fun and minimal cost..

This is much better ...

Ferret Roulette roulette.jpg

In ferret roulette, a ferret is placed in a special barrel with six exits at the base. Guests bet on which exit the ferret will use. A great attraction that really is different.

In this game, the six exits are each coloured; only five of these tubes can be bet on, with the sixth being the “house tube”, and if the ferret exits from this, the house (i.e. your organisation/charitable cause) keeps all of the bets placed!

Little space is needed for this activity, but it will generate much fun, amusement and lots of interest. Approximately 2 metres X 2 metres of extra space is required for this.

Julie Lawrence - can't see if she's wearing any in that photograph ...

24D655B800000578-2916379-Defence_The_bir

I wasn't referring to that specific lady per se. I was talking generally about people who act in that way. Just too uptight IMPO and probably best to have let the whole matter drop when things like that happen.

Actually, I think that particular Mum has a right to be peeved off regarding the cost that she lost - the other parent should have told her that his son was not attending and hence she could have saved spending the money or have invited another child.

First of all the impression was given that they had actually hired some kind of portable ski slope which, wrongly, gave the impression that they have loads of money to go around hiring expensive sports facilities for their child's birthday. But, in truth, they were actually taking children along to a public skip slope and hence the £15.95 expense per child - which is a not inconsiderable sum for a family, especially when they are paying for X number of children to go.

No, as I say, I think the other parent did wrong in not informing her that his son was not coming.

But, on the other hand, I think she did wrong by sticking the invoice in the kid's bag. It would have been best for her to forget it or to have had a quiet word with the father to let her know how she felt. Perhaps she just got frustrated by the whole thing?

I think, generally though, that it just shows you how competitive and 'out of control' children's birthday parties in the UK are nowadays - as others have commented, what is wrong with some sarnies, pop and a cake? Although, I have heard parents state that paying for an organised children's party at a venue is often much less stress and hassle than doing a party in their home despite what the cost is.

Bottom line. He should have informed her. She should have had a quiet word with him or simply have dropped it. Generally, lots of parents, both Mums and Dads, who get into such stressed out situations over oneupmanship children's birthday parties probably need to go and get a good f.......

:)

Bad manners not to have said the kid couldn't come; absolute crassness to demand payment.

If they could afford a dry ski slope for a bunch of five year olds, you'd think they could absorb a no-show.

Does anyone do kids' parties with pass the parcel, mini sandwiches and fairy cakes any more?

Maybe. You have to ask who started it. bad manners begets bad manners as it were.

Maybe it wasn't the cost that was the issue, maybe it was the fact that someone acted so discourteously that someone else felt that a response in kind was due.

As in all of these things you never see the whole story when only one side presents it. Maybe the other kids ended up waiting around for this no show to appear and it spoilt their enjoyment of the situation. Or maybe a hundred other things we don't know about.

This is much better ...

In ferret roulette, a ferret is placed in a special barrel with six exits at the base. Guests bet on which exit the ferret will use. A great attraction that really is different.

In this game, the six exits are each coloured; only five of these tubes can be bet on, with the sixth being the “house tube”, and if the ferret exits from this, the house (i.e. your organisation/charitable cause) keeps all of the bets placed!

Little space is needed for this activity, but it will generate much fun, amusement and lots of interest. Approximately 2 metres X 2 metres of extra space is required for this.

Is there a toddler version of this?

Is there a toddler version of this?

You read my mind...

Get the kids to place a tube up their trouser legs.....

I wasn't referring to that specific lady per se. I was talking generally about people who act in that way. Just too uptight IMPO and probably best to have let the whole matter drop when things like that happen.

Actually, I think that particular Mum has a right to be peeved off regarding the cost that she lost - the other parent should have told her that his son was not attending and hence she could have saved spending the money or have invited another child.

First of all the impression was given that they had actually hired some kind of portable ski slope which, wrongly, gave the impression that they have loads of money to go around hiring expensive sports facilities for their child's birthday. But, in truth, they were actually taking children along to a public skip slope and hence the £15.95 expense per child - which is a not inconsiderable sum for a family, especially when they are paying for X number of children to go.

No, as I say, I think the other parent did wrong in not informing her that his son was not coming.

But, on the other hand, I think she did wrong by sticking the invoice in the kid's bag. It would have been best for her to forget it or to have had a quiet word with the father to let her know how she felt. Perhaps she just got frustrated by the whole thing?

I think, generally though, that it just shows you how competitive and 'out of control' children's birthday parties in the UK are nowadays - as others have commented, what is wrong with some sarnies, pop and a cake? Although, I have heard parents state that paying for an organised children's party at a venue is often much less stress and hassle than doing a party in their home despite what the cost is.

Bottom line. He should have informed her. She should have had a quiet word with him or simply have dropped it. Generally, lots of parents, both Mums and Dads, who get into such stressed out situations over oneupmanship children's birthday parties probably need to go and get a good f.......

:)

Invoice was OTT.

I (or better mrs geez) would have phoned her up and had a good rant down the phone (just about the bad manners bit)...... If we got reported for harassment I would consider it a job well done..

Invoice was pointless anyway and it will fail at the first stage if they progress it to Court. Maybe an offer maybe an acceptance but no mention of payment or contract...... Party B just made muppets of themselves running to the press.

Really, I don't care how rude it was of the other person - to sit and draw up an invoice takes time and effort, and to then pursue it through the small claims court shows that the silly woman still hasn't gotten over it, so it certainly wasn't a case of just venting a bit of frustration. She is really taking it to heart.

You'd think at the point that she wrote "VERBAL" on the invoice in lieu of a purchase order number, it might have occurred to her what a knob she was being, but seemingly not, and apparently still seemingly not.

To add to that, if she'd slipped a polite but firm letter in the kid's schoolbag, pointing out that it was thoughtless, upset her kid, and left her out of pocket, there's a better than average chance she'd have got an apology and a cheque in response. But you send someone an invoice like that, it's only going to have one outcome.

To me she sounds like one of those people who thinks that it's weak to explain to someone how their actions inconvenienced and upset them. So they do stupid things like sending an invoice to show that they're not a person to be f***ed with. And the end result is she ends up in the national news with the entire country thinking she's a dickhead.

Which probably wasn't quite the result she had in mind.

Going to small claims court? That is going to cost here more money.

Oddly enough, I was watching loads of Boston Legal episodes last night - gave up when they had a court case about a wife who wanted her marriage of 27 years annulled because her husband had slept with... their cow. The case hinged on the fact that, in the US, you can get a divorce because of bestiality but not an annullment.

I digress.

Really, I don't care how rude it was of the other person - to sit and draw up an invoice takes time and effort, and to then pursue it through the small claims court shows that the silly woman still hasn't gotten over it, so it certainly wasn't a case of just venting a bit of frustration. She is really taking it to heart.

You'd think at the point that she wrote "VERBAL" on the invoice in lieu of a purchase order number, it might have occurred to her what a knob she was being, but seemingly not, and apparently still seemingly not.

Which, somewhat ironically, is exactly how this situation developed in the first place.

This is much better ...

AKA a 'Bukkake Bucket'

http://jnlplymouth.co.uk/birthday-parties/

Which party did she book?

Half hour Sno-tubing & 3 Toboggan ride per child followed by the birthday meal

4-12 yrs £15.95

So does the place charge for people who don't turn up?

Even if they do;

Book for 30 kids and all of them turn up - total cost of party £478.50

Book for 30 kids and none of them turn up - total cost of party £478.50

You've committed to a party costing £478.50 and are no financially better/worse off regardless of who turns up or who doesn't. Admittedly it would better that those who aren't intending to go say so far enough in advance that a place doesn't need to be booked and paid for in the first place, but still.

You've committed to a party costing £478.50 and are no financially better/worse off regardless of who turns up or who doesn't. Admittedly it would better that those who aren't intending to go say so far enough in advance that a place doesn't need to be booked and paid for in the first place, but still.

If you knew they weren't going to turn up then you don't need to commit to as much. It's not clear whether the parents of the other kids were expected to pay either. Neither side looks much good but writing out the invoice just makes the woman look crazy.