House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
moedo12

Revealed: Thousands Of Britons On Benefits Across Eu

Revealed: thousands of Britons on benefits across EU
• At least 30,000 Britons on unemployment benefit in EU, Guardian research shows
• Unemployed Britons in richer EU states outnumber claimants from those countries in UK

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu

Interesting figures. It does highlight though the draw of wealthier countries like Britain to citizens of poorer EU counties but it's very true that given the huge population of British migrants living in places like Spain, the pressure on the health service over there must make up for some of this.

And how much tax credits do UK peeps claim whilst working elsewhere in the EU?

And Housing Benefit.

After meeting some Polish doormen recently i can guarantee they're too thick to feed themselves and their family without the state sponsoring them.

It's possible to claim jobseekers allowance for 3 months whilst looking for work in another EU country. Not sure about DLA etc

That'd suit me down to the ground. December - February job hunting in Spain (Malaga) to keep the chills away and the rest of my time spent in the UK using the little known rule allowing for a two week break (in the UK) therefore not signing on plus up to 3 'sick days' plus any unofficial work I could find. Might not suit all but if that's the lowest of the low I'd still be richer than most.

What a complete BS article. There are 60,000 EU nationals claiming benefits in the UK versus 30,000 UK nationals claiming in the EU, but the author buries this fact in about the 10th paragraph. There are nearly 15,000 Poles claiming JSA in the UK versus 2 (TWO FFS!) Brits claiming in Poland.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu

Interesting figures. It does highlight though the draw of wealthier countries like Britain to citizens of poorer EU counties but it's very true that given the huge population of British migrants living in places like Spain, the pressure on the health service over there must make up for some of this.

My bolding above.

It would, except that those over state pension age can get a form (S1) which means that the UK government reimburses the Spanish government for the cost of any health care they have.

Those under state pension age have to have their own health insurance. You can stay in Spain for 90 days without any problems (and use your EHIC, although having travel insurance is advised for e.g. repatriation in case of serious illness / accident). After that, you're legally obliged to sign on the non-Spanish residents' register, and to do that you have to show you have sufficient health insurance to cover you, either by having a job / being self-employed and able to contribute to the Spanish social security system, or by having private health insurance.

Edit: clarity

Edited by Snugglybear

What a complete BS article. There are 60,000 EU nationals claiming benefits in the UK versus 30,000 UK nationals claiming in the EU, but the author buries this fact in about the 10th paragraph. There are nearly 15,000 Poles claiming JSA in the UK versus 2 (TWO FFS!) Brits claiming in Poland.

I did my bit for Britain by claiming unemployment benefit in France.... and I hadn't even paid into their system. :-)

That'd suit me down to the ground. December - February job hunting in Spain (Malaga) to keep the chills away

I wish you luck with that one.

In the first place you would need to be fluent in Spanish (made more difficult with the Andaluz accent) there won't be any interpreters or assistants to help new arrivals make a claim.

Secondly the Spanish system is so full of beauracracy, a lot of it dating back to Franco's time - you would probably spend the three months going backwards and forwards between the police station and the town hall trying to get the relevant bits of paper, only to be told by a Guardia Civil who is late for lunch that you don't qualify because you are a foreigner, buenas tardes!

At this stage do not kick off, say 'I know my rights' and demand to see the manager. :ph34r:

A relative who used to handle benefit claims confirmed that they would get bus loads of benefit tourists who would stay the required time to get tax credits.

The article is clearly misleading due to only comparing unemployment benefit.

I also know an English guy who has a council flat he's never lived in that he sublets for a profit.

IMHO the problem is our benefits system is a mess that encourages this behaviour, rather than the fact that anyone from the EU can access it.

I also know an English guy who has a council flat he's never lived in that he sublets for a profit.

I hope you've dobbed him in?

My bolding above.

It would, except that those over state pension age can get a form (S1) which means that the UK government reimburses the Spanish government for the cost of any health care they have.

Those under state pension age have to have their own health insurance. You can stay in Spain for 90 days without any problems (and use your EHIC, although having travel insurance is advised for e.g. repatriation in case of serious illness / accident). After that, you're legally obliged to sign on the non-Spanish residents' register, and to do that you have to show you have sufficient health insurance to cover you, either by having a job / being self-employed and able to contribute to the Spanish social security system, or by having private health insurance.

Edit: clarity

You're bang on about 90 days but I didn't know about all that other stuff. I find that quite surprising because I've known of British expats in Spain getting healthcare over there without all that milarky.

There must be some public system that they use. It's not like that in Portugal anyway I know that for sure, once you've been living there for a certain time you must apply for residency at which point the burden for the healthcare falls to the country you're in.

A relative who used to handle benefit claims confirmed that they would get bus loads of benefit tourists who would stay the required time to get tax credits.

The article is clearly misleading due to only comparing unemployment benefit.

IMHO the problem is our benefits system is a mess that encourages this behaviour, rather than the fact that anyone from the EU can access it.

Despite supporting UKIP I would agree with that.

A mate of mine is claiming the dole in Holland...He's lived there for over ten years, and he's put in NI contributions over here too. These were added towards his Dutch contributions. He gets something like 3/4 wage for six months, then 1/2 wage for six months...Not exactly sure what happens after 12 months..

without all the borrowing by governments to pay for all these jobseekers, there would be no pensions.

It is not the people....it is the system.....this government has had plenty of time to sort this if they were in the slightest bit interested....like many other things such as blatant tax avoidance, huge redundancy pay-offs, gagging clauses. etc, etc. ;)

Theres Farage for a start.

going over there, dossing about, claiming benefits from the EU taxpayer, coming back here and spending it on booze and fags.

Theres Farage for a start.

going over there, dossing about, claiming benefits from the EU taxpayer, coming back here and spending it on booze and fags.

how many other Eurocrats are there you could also have mentioned?

Even if you want to stay within the law, cross-border taxation and social security in the EU is so utterly unfathomable that it becomes a kind of kafkaesque nightmare after a while. You get pushed from pillar to post between two national systems, neither of whom want to give you any assistance or accept you as their 'client'. It's no wonder people live below the radar abroad. I tried for years to sort out my tax/healthcare situation while living in the EU and eventually gave up and just lived as if I was a Brit on long holidays.

Edited by Austin Allegro