House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paulster

North Devon: £65,000 Fall In Value

Not sure if anyone saw the advert on page 34 of the Evening Standard's Homes and Property Supplement on the 7th December. If you did you would have read the following:

Sensational Sea Views. Probably the best in the South

Stunning scenery. Enjoyed from nearly all the rooms the views are considered by many to be the finest in North Devon, and certainly some of the most eye-catching in the South West.

Substantial reduction for immediate sale. ... 6 bedroom (two en-suite) upper part of Victorian townhouse with its own entrance, enjoying majestic vistas...

Previously valued at £240,000 prior to modernisation. Has since been subject to considerable improvement, including new floors, carpets, kitchen and bathrooms. Re-wired and re-plumbed. The duration of the work coincided with the correction in the housing market. ...

There was a lot of interest in (an) editorial feature (about the flat), but it was misworded as a conversion flat and the only photo shown was of the building itself from the rear, which we felt did not present it in its full glory...

Having been marketed at £219,950 in the summer, it has just been reduced to £175,000. We are only interested in a buyer in a CASH position ready to proceed. Quick exchange of contract desired.”

Edited by Paulster

Not sure if anyone saw the advert on page 34 of the Evening Standard's Homes and Property Supplement on the 7th December. If you did you would have read the following:

Sensational Sea Views. Probably the best in the South

Stunning scenery. Enjoyed from nearly all the rooms the views are considered by many to be the finest in North Devon, and certainly some of the most eye-catching in the South West.

Substantial reduction for immediate sale. ... 6 bedroom (two en-suite) upper part of Victorian townhouse with its own entrance, enjoying majestic vistas...

Previously valued at £240,000 prior to modernisation. Has since been subject to considerable improvement, including new floors, carpets, kitchen and bathrooms. Re-wired and re-plumbed. The duration of the work coincided with the correction in the housing market. ...

There was a lot of interest in (an) editorial feature (about the flat), but it was misworded as a conversion flat and the only photo shown was of the building itself from the rear, which we felt did not present it in its full glory...

Having been marketed at £219,950 in the summer, it has just been reduced to £175,000. We are only interested in a buyer in a CASH position ready to proceed. Quick exchange of contract desired.”

No - I didn't see it, but....I'll take it, it sounds great...where exactly is it?

Shavedchimp

No - I didn't see it, but....I'll take it, it sounds great...where exactly is it?

Shavedchimp

I think it is in (or near) 'booming' Ilfracombe - according to the ad two miles from Woolacombe, Croyde and Saunton.

Saunton and Croyde are my haunts for surfing. Any URL to this property might be just what I'm looking for to move down to the west country from underneath Stansteds flight path. :)

I don't have a URL as I just saw the ad in the Evening Standard. But I've attempted to attach a scan of the ad to this reply.

scan.jpg

post-3653-1134119807_thumb.jpg

It's advertised in the propery section of this week's "North Devon Journal" From the picture it appears to be near the middle of Ilfracombe, overlooking the harbour. Included in the selling price is the freehold of the building with a ground floor flat let on a 99 year lease. All this and an income too... We're slightly tempted but don't know what we do with all those bedrooms.

EA is John Smale and Co www.johnsmale.com

Ilfracombe is in a beautiful location and was once a very up market Edwardian seaside destination. It still has the beautiful setting and the old houses. You will get more bang for your buck here than in almost anywhere in the south of England and Exmoor and the beaches are just down the road.

Why is Ilfracombe so cheap?

Because there is little employment and it seems that helf the town is scrounging from the government. The lack of 'education' in the wider sense means that the town has a feeling of poverty which is mostly rare in the south. Any kids who can escape do, the rest hang around getting stoned or racing around in tatty hatchbacks. Go through the high street at the wrong time and you may think that the people you see are all contestants for the Jerry Springer show. I wouldn't live there but if I had a windfall then I'd consider buying property there. Many big old hotels are empty and kids set them on fire. If you are thinking about moving here then bring you work with you. Even better, make this an employment base. Until a half decent employer comes along to form a basis for generation then Ilfracombe will remain off the map. It takes more than 4 hours to drive to London and at least 2 to drive to Bristol so is a little remote.

Ilfracombe is in a beautiful location and was once a very up market Edwardian seaside destination. It still has the beautiful setting and the old houses. You will get more bang for your buck here than in almost anywhere in the south of England and Exmoor and the beaches are just down the road.

Why is Ilfracombe so cheap?

Because there is little employment and it seems that helf the town is scrounging from the government. The lack of 'education' in the wider sense means that the town has a feeling of poverty which is mostly rare in the south. Any kids who can escape do, the rest hang around getting stoned or racing around in tatty hatchbacks. Go through the high street at the wrong time and you may think that the people you see are all contestants for the Jerry Springer show. I wouldn't live there but if I had a windfall then I'd consider buying property there. Many big old hotels are empty and kids set them on fire. If you are thinking about moving here then bring you work with you. Even better, make this an employment base. Until a half decent employer comes along to form a basis for generation then Ilfracombe will remain off the map. It takes more than 4 hours to drive to London and at least 2 to drive to Bristol so is a little remote.

I agree but the mrons from the south east dontr ealise...But the sun shines all the time and you can buy a mansion for the price of your 2 bed terrace in stantstead - go on dude surf is up (one born every minute)!