House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

Going Digital - Physical To Ebooks

Has anyone successfully managed to downsize their physical book collection to Kindle or another ebook format? Any advice on strategies to do this?

In the US it looks like Amazon have a scheme to give you Kindle access to any physical book you've bought from them but there's no sign of it being done here.

If you pay £79 for Amazon Prime you get free delivery for a year and access to the "Kindle Lending Library" though that doesn't cover all the possible titles.

Sometimes you can't beat having a physical book. However I have got a huge collection of ebooks for the course I'm doing and it's quite easy to build up a very large collection of ebooks. If I had them all in book format I'd need a full scale library at home to store over 1000 books, so ebooks have a huge advantage over physical books.

Certainly when it comes to searching for that bit you've read it's easier with a ebook as you type in the word press search and you can scroll through the whole book in seconds.

My Dad has. He simply decided to go cold turkey and reduce his physical book collection to one bookcase, and giving the rest away. Now he operates a strict one in, one out for physical books - and only keeps those which are valuable, have sentimental appeal, regularly referenced or difficult to replace electronically. The "missing" books are simply replaced electronically when he finds a need for them. He genuinely can't be bothered with most physical books nowadays as his Kindle is far more convenient. It works well for him because he'd love a collection of thousands of books, but his one bedroom flat simply hasn't the space for them. Also helpful that many books that he's interested in are in the public domain so he now has the collection he always wanted but without the physical hassle.

You'll never be able to afford a house if you waste money on books.

We didn't buy books in my day. We had to borrow huge volumes of the encyclopedia Britannica from the public library just so we had something to sit on for the first 5 years until my wages had doubled. Couldn't even afford floorboards, we had to balance the books across the joists.

Ebooks have a real use, I have loads of PDFs of books on my computer for my research and work. Though the ones I use a lot I have printed, bound and shelved on the bookcase.

Real books are beautiful objects to work with, and ebooks can never 'replace' them, just like nutrition shakes can never replace cooking meals.

The best option for me is to have both a paper and digital copy. The paper copy sits on the shelf looking nice, is easy to pull down, browse through, read in the bath, write in the margins, or leave open in a big pile of other open books on the floor. The ebook version is like a fully searchable index - type in your search term, 'ah page 593', flick through the paper copy to get to the page, copy and paste from the e version for quoting or emailing etc.

In the US it looks like Amazon have a scheme to give you Kindle access to any physical book you've bought from them but there's no sign of it being done here.

I believe publishers have to opt-in, and most haven't?

We didn't buy books in my day. We had to borrow huge volumes of the encyclopedia Britannica from the public library just so we had something to sit on for the first 5 years until my wages had doubled. Couldn't even afford floorboards, we had to balance the books across the joists.

I smell a rat with this because Britannica was always in the Reference section, and thus not lent out

He wrote Ulysses didn't he?

EDIT:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-great-british-joke-celebrities-share-their-favourite-old-chestnuts-403879.html

(it's a play on the fact that most famous 'British' authors are in fact Irish and they are probably better read and more literary than their 'stupid' image)

Nice one. Far better cultural enrichment than mine.

Joists? We spent the first 10 years of our married life walking around indoors waist-deep in mud while we saved up for joists.

My Dad has. He simply decided to go cold turkey and reduce his physical book collection to one bookcase, and giving the rest away. Now he operates a strict one in, one out for physical books - and only keeps those which are valuable, have sentimental appeal, regularly referenced or difficult to replace electronically. The "missing" books are simply replaced electronically when he finds a need for them. He genuinely can't be bothered with most physical books nowadays as his Kindle is far more convenient. It works well for him because he'd love a collection of thousands of books, but his one bedroom flat simply hasn't the space for them. Also helpful that many books that he's interested in are in the public domain so he now has the collection he always wanted but without the physical hassle.

This is my approach exactly. To your father's reasons I'd also add the slightly paranoid one of books I might need if/when the power runs out - so I've got a couple of books on first aid, self-sufficiency etc.