House Price Crash Forum

Unsightly Litter Down Valuing House Prices.

HOLA441

Unsightly litter on the street and overbrimming bins are enough to slash thousands off the price of a house, a study has found.

Buyers can make their minds up about a place in seconds and the charity Keep Britain Tidy has discovered that properties surrounded by dropped rubbish may sell for as much as 12% less.

Steve Pymm from the estate agent Pymm and Co in Norwich is not surprised.

"Litter can down-value a street," he said. "First impressions count and if you are going to view a property and there is litter all over the street, it is not going to give a good impression.

"Just as a tree-lined road can increase a house price, a dirty street can decrease a house price."

The average price for a home is around £176,000.

The study found that rubbish on residential streets can knock between 2.7 percent and 11.8 percent off the value of properties; a loss between £4,000 and £21,000 on that average home.

http://news.sky.com/story/1410266/unsightly-litter-down-valuing-house-prices

A friend of mine has suffered anti-social behaviour in his street, there has been a spate of cars burned out some on driveways, definatley house price de-valuing i'd say.

The Government has quickly backtracked on fortnightly bin collections i see "the house prices" "the house prices"

Edited by workingpoor

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Savy homeowners in a neighbourhood will pick up a few empty cans on a walk to the shops, doesn't cost anything adds value.

I am always picking up litter at my nearest bus stop - I do get some funny looks. There is a bin right there, and I've never seen it full, but still the filthy/bone idle/inconsiderate drop their cans and wrappers just where they please.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Would always pick up litter near my home, so I would say it is a good indication of how bothered the neighbourhood is about such things. The laziness of Brits when it comes to their environment is one for the small things that annoys me thread.

There are renters opposite that just can't get the bins right......put polystyrene in the green bin, council wont take, they just leave the bin out forever. Wouldn't mind but they f**k up every bin collection, always break the rules and the bins fester..green, black or brown. They are leaving soon. anyway.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4412

Cars on bricks.

'Are there ant rentals nextdoor?' is a valid quiestion these days.

You do not want to buy and find out you are next to a HMO of 100 Polish.

Where I live there it is the dog walkers who take up this role. I have a Japanese Akita (always on lead) sort of balances the devil dog looks (which they aren't)

Interestingly this guy is an American and picks up litter all over his area his assertion is that our Chav friends deposit Litter on areas they drive through that are nice, and I have to say my pickings seem to prove that with the litter I find on one road comprised of Mayfair Cig packets and cheap high strength lager he puts it down to a success envy culture in the UK

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/local/update-world-following-for-horsham-district-litter-picking-hero-1-6205823

HOLA4413

Where I live there it is the dog walkers who take up this role. I have a Japanese Akita (always on lead) sort of balances the devil dog looks (which they aren't)

Interestingly this guy is an American and picks up litter all over his area his assertion is that our Chav friends deposit Litter on areas they drive through that are nice, and I have to say my pickings seem to prove that with the litter I find on one road comprised of Mayfair Cig packets and cheap high strength lager he puts it down to a success envy culture in the UK

http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news/local/update-world-following-for-horsham-district-litter-picking-hero-1-6205823

Sorry Finger trouble

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA4414

Would always pick up litter near my home, so I would say it is a good indication of how bothered the neighbourhood is about such things. The laziness of Brits when it comes to their environment is one for the small things that annoys me thread.

There are renters opposite that just can't get the bins right......put polystyrene in the green bin, council wont take, they just leave the bin out forever. Wouldn't mind but they f**k up every bin collection, always break the rules and the bins fester..green, black or brown. They are leaving soon. anyway.

Aye, renter scum, they're everywhere.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Aye, renter scum, they're everywhere.

There's a bit less incentive to keep place clean. Renting areas do have bin and litter problems that is obvious. The outer suburbs generally not.

Which is actually a good reason to rent, because not having skin in the game means no responsibilty, no stressing over these matters.

HOLA4417

Expect even more door knockers and scamspam litter through letter boxes. Pick the street litter up for £4000 a go - think of the house prices.

Littering complaints go back decades and they even had Mrs Thatcher doing publicity stunts doing litter collection in the park. More recently there used to be workers who picked up litter so they must have been cost cut or something.

It would be interesting to know how they worked out the claimed discount due to litter.

For example which came first - the litter or the run down area with lower prices.

The photo in the article shows rubbish apparently waiting for collection in plastic bags but since eu rules the councils don't collect rubbish like that any more. So if it's the UK it must be an archive photo - or planted as the rest of the street looks quite tidy?

General election in the offing - you don't want your street littered up if the wrong party gets in?

Edited by billybong

HOLA4418

There are renters here whose kids make tons of mess on the street. I would rather have them than the vile people who rent from the council.

I was going to organise a street tidy at the end of summer to deal with the 6 weeks mess - but vile neighbour no.1 started verbally abusing us in the street again which made me withdraw a bit into my shell again.

HOLA4419
I may not have deserved the house I bought, but I'm glad I own it

I have found that – annoyingly – owning a house seems to have turned me into a slightly better person

Friday 2 August 2013

As of (checks calendar) two weeks ago, I am a better person! I know this because I am now a homeowner and people very kindly keep telling me that being a homeowner is a reflection of my moral excellence. They say things like "you've worked really hard" and "you deserve it". The former of these is possibly true (if maybe irrelevant), and the latter… Well, reluctant as I am to surrender the myth of my outstandingness, the latter is very possibly not true.

[..]That means my longing to hold the deeds to a property must be as much a matter of fashion as my dislike for tripe. No matter: my feelings on both are equally visceral and non-negotiable. I want to own this house every bit as strongly as I don't want to chew on a mouthful of cow stomach. And even though it's simply too daft to think that home-owning is the external sign of my deservingness, I have found that – annoyingly – owning a house seems to have turned me into a slightly better person.

Or at least, a somewhat more civic-minded person. I own a patch of my street, so I care a little more about my street and the people on it. My house feels like my home rather than a device for making a landlord richer, so I care a little more about my house. I don't have the awkward provisional feeling of the renter.

When answering the "buying or renting?" question, I've previously felt the cringing need to justify my tenant status. You never have to explain why you bought, because everyone agrees it's the best thing to do and you must be the best kind of person if you've done it.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/192280-guardian-article/

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

This is all very sinister in more ways than one......is it saying, the people we are having to mix/live with are dirty/messy or even renters, renters don't care about their environment? or does it mean our council services have been cut so much they are only collecting the rubbish once a fortnight hardly enough for the rubbish that is accumulated by normal people that live here?

Edit to say: things must be getting desperate if a black bag of rubbish sitting on the road outside can affect the price of an already overpriced property by £5,000....clutching at straws. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4422

This is all very sinister in more ways than one......is it saying, the people we are having to mix/live with are dirty/messy or even renters, renters don't care about their environment? or does it mean our council services have been cut so much they are only collecting the rubbish once a fortnight hardly enough for the rubbish that is accumulated by normal people that live here?

I pick up litter so agree, personally think we are spoilt with our litter collection why can't people take it daily or so to central points like virtually the rest of Europe? seems that this I can bin anything and it will be collected is a sense of entitlement like the goons who go to A&E for a headache

HOLA4423

I pick up litter so agree, personally think we are spoilt with our litter collection why can't people take it daily or so to central points like virtually the rest of Europe? seems that this I can bin anything and it will be collected is a sense of entitlement like the goons who go to A&E for a headache

Well it was not that long ago when I saw a dirty mattress dumped on the pavement of the Queens Avenue MH....not as posh a road as I thought or a road it once was......maybe they didn't have a car to take it to the dump. ;)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Well it was not that long ago when I saw a dirty mattress dumped on the pavement of the Queens Avenue MH....not as posh a road as I thought or a road it once was......maybe they didn't have a car to take it to the dump. ;)

Forgot you were a Mussie man!! I was brought up in Collingwood avenue and my Nan had a flat for a while in Princes Avenue. Queens Avenue always a bit mixed with the Hotels I thought.

I stopped at the Sainsbury's a few months ago. I worked in there as a Saturday job when I was an apprentice. I thought the vibe wasn't good everyone a bit angry it was scruffy and certainly less cohesive than I remember

It's best days I think were 70's through to mid 90's. In fact it could of gone either way in the 60's I was told with a hell of lot of those big houses being split into flats. Could go that way again.

Edited by Greg Bowman